Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

He just seems a little one dimensional to me, sort of like a really good Daniel Sturridge.

Daniel Sturridge wishes he was Hulk. Hulk's far more talented and far less selfish. Pity he'll never come to the premier league would've suited it down to the ground. Also makes Porto an awful lot less likely to sell you Moutinho in January to help unfuck your midfield and support AVB.

I didn't say he isn't a good player, I just don't think he is worth even close to the crazy money Porto wanted for him.

I see Zenit have also signed Witsel as well, the Zenit fans are going to love him aren't they. I can never understand why a black player would play for a team with obviously racist fans, I suppose the money helps but considering Zenit have never signed black players before because of their fans, the abuse Witsel and maybe even Hulk will get is going to be awful.

Anyone actually believe the Ronaldo to City rumours?

The income tax rate is Spain is apparently being raised from 7% to 52% for high earners and Ronaldo is trying to renegotiate his £250k a week contract. Rumours are his agent is looking to get him moved next season.

He* tweeted this earlier:

"That I am feeling sad and have expressed this sadness has created a huge stir. I am accused of wanting more money, but one day it will be shown that this is not the case. At this point, I just want to guarantee to the Real Madrid fans that my motivation, dedication, commitment and desire to win all competitions will not be affected. I have too much respect for myself and for Real Madrid to ever give less to the club than all I am capable of. Abrazos to all madridistas"

*someone on his behalf

I see Zenit have also signed Witsel as well, the Zenit fans are going to love him aren't they. I can never understand why a black player would play for a team with obviously racist fans, I suppose the money helps but considering Zenit have never signed black players before because of their fans, the abuse Witsel and maybe even Hulk will get is going to be awful.

Well there would've been a first professional black player in Britain, and a first to play internationally for each of the home nations. Presumably these players also could've turned down these opportunities to avoid potential abuse. Why should that be an important factor in their decision, and why should their acceptance of a deal be seen as tacit approval of fans' behaviour?

RVP's signing on fee and £200,000 per week 4yr contract make him so, so much so that not even City would go there. Of course he is the most expensive striker in the premiership.

But congrats to united they won through spunking their load upon a mercenary that Arsenal nurtured into the player he is. And united fans were actually complaining about City last year?

But in the end when RVP scores for united how can you celebrate him? he isn't a player you bought from no where or one you developed and created, he has no affinity with the club, he'd be celebrating his goals in a City or Barcelona shirt if they had happened to come along with a fatter contract, he doesn't care about united when he scores just that you guys are giving him more £££ than anyone else. He can score a hat trick a game but it doesn't make it feel any less hollow. Arsenal are well shot of him.

Maybe because of RVP United will win the prem this season, but that makes no difference to how City won it last year, may the fattest cheque book win! RVP in a united shirt to me symbolises everything thats wrong with the modern game.

Maybe i will feel hollow every time RvP scores maybe i wont, but the blow is cushioned by the fact i got to see Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Butt all come through the ranks and win us more trophies than other teams win in their lifetimes, true homegrown players who love utd

Stoke confirm they have signed former England striker Michael Owen on a one-year deal subject to Premier League Board approval

He obviously has no intention of playing football ever again, History will repeat itself like with Gudjohnsen and Tuncay who were ignored in favour a target man who'll fit Pulis' one dimensional game plan and Owen knows this.

Why is he even bothering? The odious little sod should just get it over with and retire. He's barely going to play any more than he did at United thanks to his 90 year old body and when he does he's going to be a turd shaped peg in a long throw shaped hole. He's been a laughing stock ever since that brochure.

Anyone actually believe the Ronaldo to City rumours?

The income tax rate is Spain is apparently being raised from 7% to 52% for high earners and Ronaldo is trying to renegotiate his £250k a week contract. Rumours are his agent is looking to get him moved next season.

The top rate of income tax here is 50% (though it is going to drop to 45% from the start of fiscal 2013) so he wont be massively better off here unless he can negotiate £300k a week or more.

The other big rumour is that Ronaldo asked for the day off because 2nd September is the anniversary of his fathers death and he was refused leave. Seems more plausible to me. Either way, I cant see him leaving Real Madrid.

He obviously has no intention of playing football ever again, History will repeat itself like with Gudjohnsen and Tuncay who were ignored in favour a target man who'll fit Pulis' one dimensional game plan and Owen knows this.

I think Stoke might suit Owen. Even if his pace went some time in 2006, he is still a very good poacher/finisher.

Stoke will play a deep ball into Peter Crouch or Kenwyne Jones at the far post, they nod it down, Owen gets on the end of it. Goal. Crouch did that a dozen or so times for Van Der Vaart at Spurs a couple of years ago so why not try it again? It's not like its going to cost Stoke much money is it?