Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

That's why he said he missed playing and came out of retirement? Why he signs contracts without looking at them? Why he doesn't have an agent?

I think he loves football but he doesn't necessarily love United. Perhaps it's more accurate to say he loves playing football, because he clearly has no interest in most of the off-pitch aspects. Hence no agent, hence no media appearances pretty much ever. To me this seems to stem from shyness, and a desire to stay away from the spotlight, not apathy. Over the years, it would've probably been easier for him to acquiesce to a typical footballer lifestyle than to do what he's done.

Well this is my point. You get the odd Matt Le Tissier but truly 'loyal' players who play for the team they support for their whole career are few and far between, especially in the higher leagues. Scholes no doubt has a lot of affection for United staff he's spent all these years with, but I doubt he cares about the club or fans.

Fabregas not happy at Barcelona. Serves him right.

I think it's bollocks really. This is the quote people seem to be talking about:

"Everybody likes to play every minute of the season. I've always said that I play for the best team in the world, but I came here to compete, to learn and enjoy, not to sit wracking my brains."

Everyone's reading that as "waaaaah I'm not getting my own way!" whereas I imagine it's more "I'm going to fight for my place."

For wanting to go back to his home town where his family still live to play for the club he supported as a kid with a bunch of players he spent six years growing up with at La Masia? What a selfish cunt.

Well yeah, he screwed over Arsenal as much as van Persie, but with a convincing PR angle. Don't know why Fabregas gets revered by Arsenal fans and van Persie gets a lot of shit.

Fabregas always said he wanted to return to Barcelona one day.

Van Persie is pictured wearing the 97-98 season kit (Wengers first double) as a kid and put out a statement last season saying winning things with any old team wouldn't be the same as if he won something with Arsenal, roughly 12 months later he put out another statement hinting that he now felt the opposite whilst stating his "vision for the club" was different to that of the people running it, like a player has any kind of say in how the club is run. Then he joined Arsenals biggest rivals of the "Premier League era" (because lets not forget, football didn't start until 1992...) and the whole move was very very different to that of Fabregas.

Not that Fabregas' move was handled particularly well anyway, but the moment the rumours started about van Persie wanting out I was expecting something to kick off as he didn't exactly leave his previous clubs in a respectable manner.

We're not your rivals any more though really, playing Arsenal is still a big game but it's not a City, Chelsea or Liverpool match. We're only called rivals because we used to be, he didn't go to Spurs or someone.

About winning stuff at Arsenal vs another club. I imagine winning at any club is better than winning nothing at Arsenal, which is realistically what he had to weigh up.

I can 100% understand Arsenal fans being angry at him but not at the same time as giving Ceac an easy ride.

I don't think either player screwed us over. They left. Fabergas didn't release an ill thought out statement that showed the club in a bad light, RVP did. You must be able to see how a statement like that would tarnish how fans viewed him.

Edit: What wev said.

To me that means Fabregas didn't have the guts to admit he wanted to go and be honest with the fans. RVP's statement is as fair as he could have given to Arsenal, he didnt say "I'm 29 and not likely to win anything here" explicitly, although that would be a fair statement.

It does always make me laugh when people talk about the Loyalty of one club men like Scholes and Giggs. Its fairly easy to be loyal to a club like Utd when you are winning the biggest prizes in the game regularly! Obv the credit would be for being ABLE to stay in the first team at a club like that for that long!

What wev said is basically the opposite of what you said.

I don't think it's that different. I was stating that the main point of contention with RVP's leaving was that statement. I guess wev did add a bit about Man Utd being our biggest rivals, etc.

Edit: and that bit about 'he didn't exactly leave his previous clubs in a respectable manner'.

To me that means Fabregas didn't have the guts to admit he wanted to go and be honest with the fans. RVP's statement is as fair as he could have given to Arsenal, he didnt say "I'm 29 and not likely to win anything here" explicitly, although that would be a fair statement.

I think Fabergas was always honest about the fact that a move back to Barca would be attractive.

Van Persie could have discussed it with the club before releasing it.

Well yeah, he screwed over Arsenal as much as van Persie, but with a convincing PR angle. Don't know why Fabregas gets revered by Arsenal fans and van Persie gets a lot of shit.

The fact that Cesc was born and raised in Barcelona and might want to return to his home town one day is 'a convincing PR angle'? :doh:

We're not your rivals any more though really, playing Arsenal is still a big game but it's not a City, Chelsea or Liverpool match. We're only called rivals because we used to be, he didn't go to Spurs or someone.

About winning stuff at Arsenal vs another club. I imagine winning at any club is better than winning nothing at Arsenal, which is realistically what he had to weigh up.

I can 100% understand Arsenal fans being angry at him but not at the same time as giving Ceac an easy ride.

It's a dormant rivalry because of circumstance but one which has seen both clubs docked points. During most of my lifetime the rivalry with Arsenal has been more intense than anything to do with City. Even in their Mourinho pomp, Chelsea never came close.

Mind you, it's also the only rivalry I can think of where the ringleaders tend to be the players, not the fans. RvP is merely carrying on a fine tradition.

It's a dormant rivalry because of circumstance but one which has seen both clubs docked points. During most of my lifetime the rivalry with Arsenal has always been more intense than anything to do with City. Even in their Mourinho pomp, Chelsea never came close.

Mind you, it's also the only rivalry I can think of where the ringleaders tend to be the players, not the fans. RvP is merely carrying on a fine tradition.

Let's hope this year Arsenal can get their act together and we can recreate some of these glory days...

4-Arsenal_575964s.jpg

Martin-Keown-Sir-Alex-Fer-007.jpg

420rooney-420x0.jpg

article-1091375-0217B6930000044D-865_468x339.jpg

I'm joking of course, how some of those games didn't end up in a huge Royal Rumble I will never know. But there is no greater sign of Arsenal's relative demise than the fact Wenger and Fergie are acting all civil to each other. Bring the ruckus.

Of course he can't see why Arsenal fans would dislike RVP, this is a group of fans who would jump ship to their rivals if United stopped winning things for a few years. Two of a kind

Let's hope this year Arsenal can get their act together and we can recreate some of these glory days...

4-Arsenal_575964s.jpg

Martin-Keown-Sir-Alex-Fer-007.jpg

420rooney-420x0.jpg

article-1091375-0217B6930000044D-865_468x339.jpg

I'm joking of course, how some of those games didn't end up in a huge Royal Rumble I will never know. But there is no greater sign of Arsenal's relative demise than the fact Wenger and Fergie are acting all civil to each other. Bring the ruckus.

Also Schmeichel & Ian Wright, racism wasn't it?

Of course he can't see why Arsenal fans would dislike RVP, this is a group of fans who would jump ship their rivals if United stopped winning things for a few years. Two of a kind

Out of interest how do you explain United having the highest average attendance in English football post wartime? How do you explain them having the biggest crowd in say the 70s or 80s? Or more explicitly why was Old Trafford in 1975 on average the most attended ground in English football despite playing host to second division football?

Go on, regale us next with the tale of all people from Manchester are City fans...

Out of interest how do you explain United having the highest average attendance in English football post wartime? How do you explain them having the biggest crowd in say the 70s or 80s? Or more explicitly why was Old Trafford in 1975 on average the most attended ground in English football despite playing host to second division football?

Go on, regale us next with the tale of all people from Manchester are City fans...

The "all Man Utd" fans are plastics comes from the fact that in every high street in every part of the country there's loads of kids and adults wearing the Man Utd replica shirt. They live all over the country these plastics. That has brought the club great wealth in terms of marketing but it really isn't the fault of the fans of the club and they're as "real" as any supporter of any team. This also applies to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea and I'm sure, in years to come, the Man City shirt will be more prevalent around the country. It isn't the fault of the loyal local supporter if some kid in Swindon asks for a Man Utd shirt for his birthday.