IGNORED

Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

I'm all for retroactively banning players for diving. In fact, retroactively making decisions would make refs' jobs a lot easier. It's the sanctimonious "oh this is the blight on the sport" when it ignores the way authorities shit on fans and lets dickheads come in and ruin clubs for profit.

The only problem I have is where does it end? What about RvP's elbow? I haven't seen it but read about a Huth stamp. Tiote done something too apparently. Do we review all the Premier League? What about the lower leagues? What if the ref has seen it?

I'm not saying "oh forget it, it's too hard" but things need to be ironed out before bans are handed out after the event.

The FA have ruled there will be no punishment for the RVP or Huth stamp. Both seen as no violent conduct based on the refs report.

I don't understand why they FA can over turn refs decisoons and had out bans. They seem to be ok with over turning red cards based on replays. So how come when the ref misses something or seems something differently to what we can all see on tv and replays the FA can't do anything about it and go off his report.

Over rulling the refs every now and again might do them some good, make them perform better.

Yeah, because there's not enough pressure on them already.

Every wrong decision in favour of your team is "how it goes, these things balance out over time", every wrong decision not in favour of your team needs a rewriting of the rules and training for the refs. In American Football recently the refs went on strike, and the ones they used instead got so much wrong that even the fans were relieved to have the refs they'd learnt to hate back.

It's the harshest job in football. Goalkeepers have it hard because they're judged on the mistakes they make, refs have ten times as many chances to make a mistake as a goalie.

Just watched a slow mo replay zoomed into a yard away from the controversial incident, can't believe the ref misjudged it.

The easy way to sort it out is stop the broadcasters showing constant slow-mo replays of every challenge and incident. That would stop a lot of it.

It does annoy me when people criticise an official for decisions that are almost impossible to make at full speed. Offsides especially.

I'm not talking about every little decision the ref makes. Sometimes crap ref decisions go for you or against you. I'm talking about the ones that he may have missed like someone elbowing or stamping on someone. If the FA can't charge players with violent conduct because the refs reports deems it otherwise then they can't hand out bans for diving unless the ref called them on it during the game and gave them a yellow.

Genuine question, I dont watch any childrens football, my son doesnt like it so doesnt play, but are kids diving when they are playing these days? I imagine they must be if they see their heroes doing it every week. Just imagining if someone dived at school when we played football, they would get a proper kicking!!

We used to dive at school all the time but you generally covered yourself by going 'KLINS-MANNNN' or whatever as you were doing it.

Plus there was never any ref anyway so you basically had to break someone's leg for the game to stop and even then it'd probably only be a drop ball.

Just to clear something up: the FA CAN implement retrospective punishment for offenders even if the referee says he has seen the incident. FIFA rules allow this. The FA just chooses not to, and is obviously happy to peddle the line that it's out of their hands. It seems like barely any journalists ever question that, let alone fans.

... challenges being made on him before he slipped.

REALLY?

Anyway, last night was Seattle Sounders vs Portland Timbers. A regular season game in America, no major stars being wheeled out, no gimmicks, and it drew a crowd of 66,452. With a crowd like that, can it be considered one of the biggest derby games in football/soccer? There's plenty of history and fire behind the rivalry, but on sheer numbers it can draw alone, it's got to make it up there.

Genuine question, I dont watch any childrens football, my son doesnt like it so doesnt play, but are kids diving when they are playing these days? I imagine they must be if they see their heroes doing it every week. Just imagining if someone dived at school when we played football, they would get a proper kicking!!

At weekends I play squash and when it's my turn to be off court I occasionally have a look over the other side of the viewing gallery and the stuff the little kids (maybe 8ish years old?) get up to when playing football would be hilarious if it wasn't so depressing - they seem more worried about what celebration they're going to do when they score (sliding on knees etc - most of the time the game has re-started and they're still pumping their fists in mock glee) and shouting at the 'ref' (probably someone's Dad who has organised it) than actually playing football. Having said that, I don't recall seeing any diving so I'll give them that one.

Not that you can blame them I suppose, but it's a bit embarrassing to watch and you wonder what the next generation of footballers will be like.

(You may commence paedo jokes now.)

Not that you can blame them I suppose, but it's a bit embarrassing to watch and you wonder what the next generation of footballers will be like.

Exactly as badly behaved as this generation I guess. Racism, drink driving, rape, assault. Unless footballers actually start commiting these crimes on the pitch (and with the racism stuff they seem to have begun) I don't see how footballers could behave any worse.

I've reffed some (fair few years ago now though) and while some of the kids were little shits anyway, the parents were worse. I'd be more worried about how they're being encouraged to behave by them than what they might be copying off TV.

It's always a shame when watching footie and the camera shows the usual fat guy, face contorted in hatred and spewing out hatred at the 19 yo taking a throw in for the opposition. Usually with his young son stood next to him.

I remember going to see Utd at Loftus Road years ago and a bloke asking me to hold his baby so he could fight with somebody!!