NiGHTS Into Dreams HD

It's a lot cleaner than the Saturn version, as well as being in widescreen and HD. It looks very similar to the PS2 port with a vector overlay replacing the old raster one.

Bit of a shame about the pop-in, though.

I think we can safely assume it's essentially the PS2 code at a higher resolution (it looks exactly like the video I posted earlier of that running on the PCSX2 emulator)..

There's still pop-in yes (though it's more like 'fade-in' as big chunks of scenery don't just appear like they do in the Saturn version). The distance when things fade in is further back than the original too.

I seem to remember someone on GAF had a translation from a Japanese feature at the time. They said they could have drawn the whole level in at once on PS2, but it made it harder to play - being able to see everything made the foreground less distinct..

The PS2 version replaced both textures and character models with higher quality ones and the 2D sprites used for the enemies, Nightopeans, collectables etc.. became 3D objects.

It doesn't look like anything has been improved further on top of what was done on the PS2 version - aside from the resolution..

I think my favourite aspect of NiGHTS is still the dynamic music - it's amazing..

Each track is split into 6-7 sections and each section has four possible states (Cheery/Happy/Content/Angry) which are dependent on the overall 'mood' of the friendly Nightopeans within the Dream. If you treat them well, they get happier , knock them about and they get annoyed and the mood of the track changes..

So since you can have any part of the song in one of the 4 states, you have hundreds of different possible variations in each music track..

But it all fits together seamlessly, bits overlap - I still can't get over how amazing the execution of it all is..

I think Frozen Bell was the only level where I managed to get all the Nightopians into their cheering state.

Apparently you could also create hybrid Mepians by throwing an enemy into a Nightopian. I never did manage to do that, even unintentionally.

It was really weird that the full version of the game's main theme - or rather, its main instrumental theme - never actually appeared in the game (or in Xmas Nights), and could only be heard on the OST:

• 1 month later...

The most worrying part of that for me is the inability to hug the bottom and top of the levels (as well as some infinite chains being harder/impossible :( ) I love doing that on Spring Valley. It feels glorious. Feeling slightly nervous about this now.

Didn't they say you can switch to the original Saturn version though?

Didn't they say you can switch to the original Saturn version though?

I think so, hopefully it doesn't just switch the graphics (although they might look awful on an LCD, I get the 14" portable out for the Saturn) and it retains all the little quirks. It's my favourite game, I want it to be perfect :(

Saturn version on the PS2 is just a lower resolution of the same game code. It'll be the same here.

I can't say I ever really noticed the things mentioned in that forum, although I wasn't particularly looking out for it either. Never had any problems doing infinite-link on Spring Valley either (although that's only one of two I can actually do anyway!).

NiGHTS is pretty much my favourite game and the redone version was really lovely. I wouldn't worry.