IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

Shadows of Mordor is basically assassin's creed in lord of the rings land, but with batman arkham style combat and a cool nemesis system. Dragon age is a really long bioware RPG with dreadful combat. Both are good for different reasons.

Haven't you only just got past the prologue? I think calling the combat dreadful is being extremely harsh.

I have, but I've played dragon age origins and dragon age 2 and unless the combat has massively changed, it's dreadful. Melee hits lack oomph, the tactical pause thing is useful but breaks the flow of the game and it's mostly 'hold r2 until skills recharge'. Compared to the combat in shadows of mordor, it's dreadful.

I have, but I've played dragon age origins and dragon age 2 and unless the combat has massively changed, it's dreadful. Melee hits lack oomph, the tactical pause thing is useful but breaks the flow of the game and it's mostly 'hold r2 until skills recharge'. Compared to the combat in shadows of mordor, it's dreadful.

The combat massively changed even going from DAO to DA2 so I'm not sure why you assume it's the same in DAI. I play a mage so I can't comment on melee hits lacking oomp, although it feels ok when I'm switching to my tank but thats for specific ability usage rather than basic melee attacks. If you want to simplify DAI combat into "hold R2 until skills are up" can't you say Shadows of Mordor is spam the basic attack button until you have combo points to do finishers? You can reduct basically all combat systems to sound as dull as you like (to the the point where a fan of that game will claim you're wrong, which is basically what I'm doing here with you and DAI :P). I gave up on SoM because I found the combat so dreary but I personally think DAI has a much more in depth and enjoyable combat system. There's so much more to think about than just "hold r2 until cds are up", but it's totally up to you what you put into the game.

I can't decide between Shadow of Mordor or Dragon Age next, any recommendations between the two?

Cheers!

SoM is a delightful puts-a-grin-on-your-face slice of gaming joy. Pure badassery felt the entire time. One of my favourite games of this year. Feels as fresh as the first Batman did in the fun stakes.

Dragon Age... Well i'm an RPG nerd, but if you even vaguely like them I cannot recommend it highly enough. One of my favourite games of all time (currently). Just a sublime experience - great story, graphics are fantastic, and the combat (in my humble option) is tremendously satisfying. Proper old school RPG(ish) fun with some of the open world magic of Skyrim. A half hour go is suddenly 5 hours later....

Does that help? Probably not. Perhaps the answer is both... :-P

I looked it up, they say they're working on adding it.

Thinking about it they could maybe get the smartglass app to sit in "listen" mode and you could issue commands to Xbox verbally as you would to kinect. Doubt that'll ever happen but it's a way of keeping the commands

"Xbox go to BBC Iplayer."

"Most Popular"

"Top Gear"

"Item 1"

Watches Xmas special without pressing a button.

Kinect is the future.

I don't agree. Voice control is a novelty until it actually works naturally. As in, 'Xbox, open Iplayer and start playing the latest episode of Top Gear'.

I don't agree. Voice control is a novelty until it actually works naturally. As in, 'Xbox, open Iplayer and start playing the latest episode of Top Gear'.

"Allo maayte! Ahm gan daar pub, stick a bit of racist car bastards on when I get back will ya me old mukka? Cheers paaaaaal."

Xbox bing top gear

Latest episode

Play

I'm not sure why that's necessarily harder than clicking on iplayer and faffing about through menus, or why it's less of a "novelty" than searching through a file system using cd, dir, ls, notepad... But I suppose haters have to hate.