Xbox One Console Thread

The bluray player app has just been replaced with a UWP, presumably if you're on the preview dash. A minor thing, but it's the first proper UWP released on the XB1. There's tonne of apps (stupidly more so than the PS4) already, making it a great streaming box, but there's loads on Win 10 that haven't made it over, and more still on Android. I hope this UWP stuff builds momentum and sees Win 10 apps retooled as UWP, and android stuff ported over with that Xarmin thing, too. I mean, yeah, you could just shove a Chromecast into the TV (not a Fire Stick, it's missing plenty of steaming apps that are on Win 10 or Android proper), but it would be really nice to have a single device that does it all. 

I think the Android/iOS porting project was scrapped, Xamarin doesn't allow direct porting, the whole app needs to be built from scratch but will allow you to target Android/iOS/UWP, rather than retrofit an Android apk.

26 minutes ago, TehStu said:

The bluray player app has just been replaced with a UWP, presumably if you're on the preview dash. A minor thing, but it's the first proper UWP released on the XB1. There's tonne of apps (stupidly more so than the PS4) already, making it a great streaming box, but there's loads on Win 10 that haven't made it over, and more still on Android. I hope this UWP stuff builds momentum and sees Win 10 apps retooled as UWP, and android stuff ported over with that Xarmin thing, too. I mean, yeah, you could just shove a Chromecast into the TV (not a Fire Stick, it's missing plenty of steaming apps that are on Win 10 or Android proper), but it would be really nice to have a single device that does it all. 

I've been using mine as a single box to do everything since I got it and ditched SKY. I know it got derided for its TV, TV, TV capabilities, but it's been brilliant for me.

23 minutes ago, *chin* said:

I think the Android/iOS porting project was scrapped, Xamarin doesn't allow direct porting, the whole app needs to be built from scratch but will allow you to target Android/iOS/UWP, rather than retrofit an Android apk.

Ah yes, I was thinking of Continental and porting iOS apps. I don't have an iOS device but assume it has the same slew of extra streaming apps that Android does.

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

I've been using mine as a single box to do everything since I got it and ditched SKY. I know it got derided for its TV, TV, TV capabilities, but it's been brilliant for me.

Likewise, for the most part. It's just very specific stuff there's no app for, like NBC sports, NCAA, etc. It's stuff I either have to connect my Surface to the TV to watch, or switch to the Fire TV stick. I also found the default media player craps out a bit with old anime I've got, but UWP VLC would sort that, I'm sure.

12 hours ago, TehStu said:

Does the Bone support mkvs?

On 6 July 2016 at 21:13, johnboy1967 said:

First go today with the Xbox one and the interface is clunky and a mess to navigate compared to my past experience on the 360. 

Also having issues with the tuner as the picture continually freezes. Aerial plugged into the TV works fine.  Going to try a booster to see if that helps. 

Booster makes no difference as the picture still breaks up and freezes despite the picture being fine when the aerial is plugged in to the tv. 

8 minutes ago, johnboy1967 said:

Booster makes no difference as the picture still breaks up and freezes despite the picture being fine when the aerial is plugged in to the tv. 

I had exactly the same problem. Eventually gave up and sold it.

1 hour ago, johnboy1967 said:

Could it be a faulty unit? I have no issues at all here and if it was known to be rubbish I assume it would be all over the internet.

Is it a portable aerial or a roof/loft one?

I've been using the tuner for ages now and the only problem I had was something to do with my region being set to USA. I can't remember the exact details now, but it might be worth making sure you're set to UK, then wipe all the channels and start again. It's been perfect ever since, so it really shouldn't be causing you the problems it is.

Afternoon, I posted this in ATF and rightly so was pointed to this topic. I don't suppose anyone here would be kind enough to invite me to the Xbox One Dashboard preview programme? I am happy to add any beta testing they may need but ultimately it is for the feature that allows Xbox One to play MineCraft co op with Xbox 360's. My daughter has been bitten by the MC bug is is very keen to play co op (non split screen). I know it's a big ask as the only way I can get into the system is by an invite - so here's me, hat in hand, asking if anyone would be so kind.

4 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Could it be a faulty unit? I have no issues at all here and if it was known to be rubbish I assume it would be all over the internet.

Is it a portable aerial or a roof/loft one?

It's a roof aerial with line of sight to the transmitter 5 miles away. 

I never contemplated a faulty unit as I have seen several reports of people with the same issue. 

4 minutes ago, johnboy1967 said:

I never contemplated a faulty unit as I have seen several reports of people with the same issue. 

I wonder what the issue is then, as I said it's pretty flawless here. Quite annoying 

1 hour ago, johnboy1967 said:

Mine's been fine (connected to roof aerial with powered booster). 

I'd also suspect a faulty unit or incorrect setup.

What's your Gamertag ?

I can't invite you as I don't do betas after having to wipe my box during the early preview stages but someone will invite you. It may take a while for you to get accepted though as it's not an instant case, it goes out in waves dependant on MS adding more people.

2 hours ago, Still-life said:

Afternoon, I posted this in ATF and rightly so was pointed to this topic. I don't suppose anyone here would be kind enough to invite me to the Xbox One Dashboard preview programme? I am happy to add any beta testing they may need but ultimately it is for the feature that allows Xbox One to play MineCraft co op with Xbox 360's. My daughter has been bitten by the MC bug is is very keen to play co op (non split screen). I know it's a big ask as the only way I can get into the system is by an invite - so here's me, hat in hand, asking if anyone would be so kind.

They don't accept people on now as readily as they did before, but if you post your Gamertag I'm sure all of us here on the preview programme will send you an invite. 

The more you get, the greater your chances of getting on. 

EDIT - I'm one of those high rollers @Shimmyhill referred to. You'll be on in no time ;)

Edited by Guest

you mean

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-LIVE-Month-Membership-Online/dp/B01GQRKGRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=prime-day&psr=PD16&ie=UTF8&qid=1468311977&sr=1-1&keywords=xbox+live+12

You will receive two £5 tokens and each must be redeemed before 31 July 2016 and you must spend the credit within 90 days

gulp!

[edit]

(xbox live gold) Expires on 28/11/2017

What's good for a tenner? :D