Jump to content

Xbox One Console Thread


Recommended Posts

Considering an Xbox One S as a one box centre for downstairs as my sky contract is now finished and I recently sold on the bluray player. 

 

The plan is using the Xbox  tv tuner and the one guide for downstairs but also upstairs. However I can't find conclusive proof if I can also feed the Xbox screen to an amazon fire tv upstairs to save putting an aerial feed in to the bedroom. Everything is wired through homeplugs. Assuming this is possible how would I control the Xbox to change channel etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2017 at 14:38, johnboy1967 said:

Considering an Xbox One S as a one box centre for downstairs as my sky contract is now finished and I recently sold on the bluray player. 

 

The plan is using the Xbox  tv tuner and the one guide for downstairs but also upstairs. However I can't find conclusive proof if I can also feed the Xbox screen to an amazon fire tv upstairs to save putting an aerial feed in to the bedroom. Everything is wired through homeplugs. Assuming this is possible how would I control the Xbox to change channel etc. 

 

Dunno if you can do it to a fire TV, but if you get a windows 10 stick you can stream the xbox to that. Playing and viewing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, Xbox streaming is pretty dodgy and doesn't work very well even over a wired connection. I'm not sure I'd go to much expense (i.e. buying a windows 10 stick) to try it out.

 

It's also quite inelegant as you've got to switch the thing on and open the Xbox app every time. 

 

I've also found trying to wake your Xbox through the app to be pretty hit and miss. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same, and quite dependent on hardware. My very old PC could run it, wired, but it struggled with peaks in throughout, at any resolution. My Surface did much better wifi, but the airwaves here are hopelessly congested. Now that it's wired, streaming is like being in front of the Xbox itself, with just a whisker of lag spoiling the illusion.

 

I've mostly had no issues with it powering up, etc. Must be quite dependent on the PC, somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said, it can be hit and miss. I remember when Digital Foundry tested it it just had lag spikes for no apparent reason. When I was trying to fix it I looked all over the place and lots of people on reddit were having the same issues I had. 

 

I think someone on here (chow?) also mentioned they haven't had much luck with it. 

 

It might work, just like I said I would try and test it out without spending money on it. 

 

6 hours ago, TehStu said:

I've mostly had no issues with it powering up, etc. Must be quite dependent on the PC, somehow.

 

I'm probably a one off with that specific issue but even through the app it's unreliable so probably my Xbox or network being weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chime Sharp is coming to consoles later this month. (24th on Xbox One)

Loved the first game and really enjoyed what i got to play on the PC version, but kept having controller issues. I backed this on Kickstarter but happy to put some money into the console version too. 

 

If you enjoyed the first, then get this. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's says on there they've moved the time of the announcement. I wonder if they've shifted it to after Sony's event, so they can do what Sony always do and gauge their show reaction, then tailor accordingly to 'win E3'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JPL said:

It's says on there they've moved the time of the announcement. I wonder if they've shifted it to after Sony's event, so they can do what Sony always do and gauge their show reaction, then tailor accordingly to 'win E3'.

 

Possibly but I think Sony just seem to be very good at getting the show mood just right each time.  I think MS spend too much time flicking between trailers and then people talking.  Sony seem to get the tempo right at the E3's.  Sprinkle in a bit of fan service by announcing games people have been asking for for years (The Last Guardian) or older classics (FF 7, Shenmue) and you've won regardless of when your conference is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPL said:

It's says on there they've moved the time of the announcement. I wonder if they've shifted it to after Sony's event, so they can do what Sony always do and gauge their show reaction, then tailor accordingly to 'win E3'.

 

So apart from pricepoints/DRM, which they can react to quickly have you got any examples of them "always" doing this? It's not as though they can magic a trailer into existence to suddenly "win."

 

This is without the fact that the've got no new hardware to announce this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

So apart from pricepoints/DRM, which they can react to quickly have you got any examples of them "always" doing this? It's not as though they can magic a trailer into existence to suddenly "win."

 

This is without the fact that the've got no new hardware to announce this year.

 

No but you can get a feel for what went well and what didn't and tailor your own to emphasise one and not the other.  Less important like you say without simultaneous hardware launches but I think I'd much rather go after a competitor than before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

So apart from pricepoints/DRM, which they can react to quickly have you got any examples of them "always" doing this? It's not as though they can magic a trailer into existence to suddenly "win."

 

This is without the fact that the've got no new hardware to announce this year.

What raf says really. It's a lot easier to see what the competition did right/wrong and quickly add/cut content from a show when you're going second. Both Sony and MS will have a lot of content for every eventuality if they've got any business sense.

 

You've even stated their biggest turnaround, by mentioning how badly the DRM shit went down for MS. It's widely known it was Sony's plan as well, wasn't it? So it's not beyond comprehension that lesser things can get easily rearranged is it?

 

Anyway, it was just a curious observation. Do we even know when Sony's show is yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JPL said:

You've even stated their biggest turnaround, by mentioning how badly the DRM shit went down for MS. It's widely known it was Sony's plan as well, wasn't it?

 

It's been bandied around but I've never seen anyone credible cite even an anonymous source for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

It's been bandied around but I've never seen anyone credible cite even an anonymous source for it.

Fair enough. I'm just going on forum talk, so maybe it never happened. My other points still stand though, right?

 

You must see that companies who have billions of dollars invested in their console businesses would try to outdo each other?

 

Unless Nintendo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

It's been bandied around but I've never seen anyone credible cite even an anonymous source for it.

 

Yeah it's been mentioned a few times over the years with "sources" citing either Sony having the same plans and changing their script or Sony changing the script to make it even clearer they weren't going to do that.

 

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/sony-changed-playstation-4-drm-policy-after-xbox-one-outrage/

 

Seeing as for most other things they've pretty much done the same thing with a few differences (mandatory camera vs non, full install to HDD with DVD acting as licence key, paying for online, free games monthly) it wouldn't surprise me that had the reception been ok for MS, Sony wouldn't have been far behind.   The important thing is that they had a chance to assess and react.  No bones about it though MS made it easy with that howler of an E3.  

 

Lets hope the Scorpio announcement is mostly just "Here's our hardware it fucking rocks, here a price point and it's not crazy money, here are some great games you can play on it that look great"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JPL said:

It's says on there they've moved the time of the announcement. I wonder if they've shifted it to after Sony's event, so they can do what Sony always do and gauge their show reaction, then tailor accordingly to 'win E3'.

 

MS has moved its E3 briefing *back*, not forward. It's previously been on the Monday, with Sony's following later the same day - now it will be on the Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Seeing as for most other things they've pretty much done the same thing with a few differences (mandatory camera vs non, full install to HDD with DVD acting as licence key, paying for online, free games monthly) it wouldn't surprise me that had the reception been ok for MS, Sony wouldn't have been far behind.   The important thing is that they had a chance to assess and react.

 

None of your list has anything to do with Sony's conference being a few hours after Microsoft. That sort of stuff generally takes weeks if not months to shift position on, particularly the DRM fiasco - that was effectively announced by MS months before E3. Sony had their anti-DRM 'advert' online before E3 even kicked off.

 

Also, pretty sure Sony had free monthly games years before MS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

 

None of your list has anything to do with Sony's conference being a few hours after Microsoft. That sort of stuff generally takes weeks if not months to shift position on, particularly the DRM fiasco - that was effectively announced by MS months before E3. Sony had their anti-DRM 'advert' online before E3 even kicked off.

 

Also, pretty sure Sony had free monthly games years before MS.

 

I was more illustrating that they're pretty much more or less on the same path give or take one or two features most of the time so being able to tweak your conference is not impossible.  Anyhow.  Scorpio.  yay.  It's going to be sweet.  New hardware announcements are always special.

Link to post
Share on other sites

None of your examples made that point though, companies producing complex electronic devices generally need more than a few hours to change tack on something as critical as DRM, HDD installs etc.

 

Not sure how that relates to your point about Scorpio either, it's already been announced. Even if the explicit technical details aren't formally released it's broadly a known quantity and it's not really new hardware either, more a refresh - much like PS4 Pro neither mark a new generation of hardware - I find I struggle to get particularly excited about either..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

None of your examples made that point though, companies producing complex electronic devices generally need more than a few hours to change tack on something as critical as DRM, HDD installs etc.

 

Not sure how that relates to your point about Scorpio either, it's already been announced. Even if the explicit technical details aren't formally released it's broadly a known quantity and it's not really new hardware either, more a refresh - much like PS4 Pro neither mark a new generation of hardware - I find I struggle to get particularly excited about either..

 

Man alive.  Ok captain killjoy!   :D

Fine.  The order of the conferences doesn't matter one bit.  No one will change anything.  The world is fixed. Beep bop boop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.