Jump to content
IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread


mushashi
 Share

Recommended Posts

People have been asking me why they should buy an Xbox One X IRL. The conversation usuualy goes like this.

 

"Do you own a 4K TV?"

"No."

"Do you want to buy one at their current prices plus £450 for a console you already own?"

"No."

"There's your answer."

"But I want it!"

"Well buy it then!"

"Are you getting one?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Cos I don't own a 4K TV, don't particular want one at this point, and don't want to pay £450 for a console I already own when all the games will still run on my bog standard version."

"But it's better!"

"Oh fuck off."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, stefcha said:

It's clearly better, but it's also expensive for what it offers over the existing one. Wouldn't say not owning a 4K is a huge mark against, it's not something that's likely to stop me. 

 

True, people says it runs better but as a guy who builds budget pcs, I'm one of those "good enough" people. Maybe when it;s cheaper but it does seem like a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since there's going to be a new influx of users some of you guys might be interested to know there are two official Xbox related rewards schemes available. You log into both with your Xbox gamertag.

 

Open to all UK residents...

 

Xbox Live Rewards: sign up here: https://rewards.xbox.com/join-now/

 

What is Xbox Live Rewards?

 

Xbox Live Rewards is a loyalty programme designed for people who own an Xbox One, S or X. In addition to getting access to special offers and promotions that are exclusive to our members, you will also be able to earn Rewards Credits that will be converted into your local currency and deposited into your Microsoft account, where they can then be used to purchase digital items you want in the Microsoft Store.

 

Basically: Any digital purchases you make in the store are totalled on your account and if you spend a certain amount you start to accrue the ability to earn 2%/4%/6%/8%/10% back on all store purchases (games/movies/apps) in credit. One thing to note, If you don't have a Gold account then the percentage you can get back is halved.

 

 

Microsoft Rewards (formally Bing Rewards): Sign up here: http://rewards.microsoft.com/

 

What is Microsoft Rewards?

 

You can get a daily quota of virtual points simply for doing daily searches and quizzes via bing.co.uk when logged in. You can use these points towards Xbox related content such as digital Xbox store cards (£3/£5/£10/£25/£50) Xbox Live Gold (3 month/12 month) and Xbox Game Pass (1 month/12 month)

 

This service has recently launched in the UK, June I think? and I've already accrued enough points for 12 months of live and around £20 in store credit so it's well worth doing. There will be some periods of the year where you can earn double points for a period of time so it's worth keep racking up the points.

 

They've also added a number of new content today that you can spend your points on with other various digital cards from:

 

Debenhams

M&S

House of Fraser

Pizza Express

Starbucks

Ticketmaster

 

There's also monthly sweepstakes where you can win consoles, Surface laptops/tablets/drones. You can also donate your points to certain charities.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Holy fuck thanks. I never had any idea about this shit.

 

It's not promoted at all- very strange.  Maybe the good Major or someone should do a video on it since I was surprised to get an email asking me to "claim my reward" yesterday (which I shouldn't have been since I'd just purchased the Scorpio).  Even small credits add up and keep you in the ecosystem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Holy fuck thanks. I never had any idea about this shit.

Microsoft rewards are great. It's sad they have to pay you to use Bing, but it's minimal effort to get a fiver a month, really. I mean, it effectively offsets the price of Live, if you were going to buy stuff anyway (stuff on sale, etc.).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just returned from offloading my Xbox One to read this timely article.

 

Drop down to base Xbox One or Switch and you lose a lot...

 

The notion of Microsoft's console getting a 720p port four years into its lifespan is just not good enough, and it's a remarkable state of affairs.

 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-sonic-forces-focuses-on-ps4-with-clear-issues-elsewhere

 

It's only Sonic Forces but to be this bad to the old hardware didn't Sega very long at all.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

This week's deals.  

 

https://majornelson.com/2017/11/06/this-weeks-deals-with-gold-and-spotlight-sale-105/

 

Quantum Break - £14.40  

Homefront  The Revolution - £10

The Surge - £20

 

 

 

Nice all three of those games are enhanced. 

 

For anyone who just got an XB1X Homefront is worth picking up for that price. It also just got a pretty substantial update for the Xbox One X launch. 

 

Quote

 

Deep Silver and Dambuster Studios today confirm the details of the Homefront: The Revolution Xbox One X Enhanced Update. Xbox One X users will benefit from improved visuals and performance when playing Homefront: The Revolution. The update includes: 

The game is rendered in 3200 x 1800 which is a four times increase over the standard Xbox One version. This resolution will provide superior image quality on 4k TVs and a crisper, super-sampled image on 1080p TVs.

All HUD and UI elements are rendered in native 4K for the highest quality image. 

The Time Splitters 2 arcade machine content is now rendered in native 4K.

The game takes advantage of Xbox One X’s increased memory which will support more high quality textures on screen at any given time.

Frame rate performance is further improved.

HDR support has been added to both the Xbox One X and Xbox One S hardware.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone done any controller mods/repairs?

 

I need a replacement circuit board for one of my controllers but I'll be buggered if I can find anywhere that I can easily buy one from (at a reasonable price). Need one of these: https://www.focusattack.com/xbox-one-bare-gamepad-pcb/

 

They seem to have a few suppliers on Alibaba but require minimum orders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also if anyone has replaced the bumpers and can recommend somewhere that does decent ones, I'd be grateful. All the reviews of the ones I have been tempted to buy, say that they are shit basically. Some look like they were 3d printed. I want some sturdy ones. Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Elite controller users: this product is one of the main reasons I'm considering an XB1X and going Xbox for multiplatform stuff. Is it as good as it looks? My main thing would be using two of the paddles to get round awkward control schemes that put critical functions on the d-pad (Hitman, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs 2 etc).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Elite controller users: this product is one of the main reasons I'm considering an XB1X and going Xbox for multiplatform stuff. Is it as good as it looks? My main thing would be using two of the paddles to get round awkward control schemes that put critical functions on the d-pad (Hitman, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs 2 etc).

 

Yeah!

 

I use the paddles instead of the d-pad for switching grenades on halo 5 mp. It’s great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kryptonian said:

 

Yeah!

 

I use the paddles instead of the d-pad for switching grenades on halo 5 mp. It’s great.

Are they easy and comfortable to press? Do you find yourself swapping grenades by mistake?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

Are they easy and comfortable to press? Do you find yourself swapping grenades by mistake?

 

Very easy to use although I don’t use 4 at once - I imagine you would have to hold the pad a bit gingerly at first until you got used to it with 4 on. I’ve never pressed it by mistake, no

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Flub said:

I don't use the paddles but the Elite controller is a seriously lovely bit of kit. If you can afford it I definitely recommend it.

Well if Argos do another one of those "buy the Elite pad for £100 and get AC: Origins FREE" deals then it's a total no-brainer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pob said:

Are they easy and comfortable to press? Do you find yourself swapping grenades by mistake?

 

I use two paddles on the left and one on the right because I kept hitting the upper-right unintentionally (with Halo 5). It still makes a huge difference though. I can't recommend it enough for multiplayer gaming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/11/2017 at 12:27, Revival said:

 

 

 

Microsoft Rewards (formally Bing Rewards): Sign up here: http://rewards.microsoft.com/

 

What is Microsoft Rewards?

 

You can get a daily quota of virtual points simply for doing daily searches and quizzes via bing.co.uk when logged in. You can use these points towards Xbox related content such as digital Xbox store cards (£3/£5/£10/£25/£50) Xbox Live Gold (3 month/12 month) and Xbox Game Pass (1 month/12 month)

 

This service has recently launched in the UK, June I think? and I've already accrued enough points for 12 months of live and around £20 in store credit so it's well worth doing. There will be some periods of the year where you can earn double points for a period of time so it's worth keep racking up the points.

 

They've also added a number of new content today that you can spend your points on with other various digital cards from:

 

Debenhams

M&S

House of Fraser

Pizza Express

Starbucks

Ticketmaster

 

There's also monthly sweepstakes where you can win consoles, Surface laptops/tablets/drones. You can also donate your points to certain charities.

 

 

It's worth noting that, if you can be bothered, you can run multiple accounts and build up points on each one, then transfer over the rewards to your Xbox account once you've got the codes.

 

I also use a VPN plugin for Chrome to get around the Pirate Bay block. This seems to have two benefits - I get more quizzes and I seem to be able to double up my Bing search points by searching once with the VPN on, then again with it off.

 

There's also a bonus for searching on Bing through Edge, if you have Windows 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a XB1 today, and my oh my, getting used to the different UI is strange. 

 

Have a month free game pass so diving into Dead Rising 3 and Re:core, I have Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break too to get me started. 

 

One major difference between the bone and my ps4 is that the bone is absolutely silent. My PS4 needs the fans cleaned as sometimes it sounds like its about to launch! 

 

Been a long time since I played an Xbox, so looking forward to diving in to some exclusives :wub: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, noob said:

Got a XB1 today, and my oh my, getting used to the different UI is strange. 

 

Have a month free game pass so diving into Dead Rising 3 and Re:core, I have Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break too to get me started. 

 

One major difference between the bone and my ps4 is that the bone is absolutely silent. My PS4 needs the fans cleaned as sometimes it sounds like its about to launch! 

 

Been a long time since I played an Xbox, so looking forward to diving in to some exclusives :wub: 

 

All three of them...

 

I kid. I love my Xbox but fuck me it needs more decent exclusives. What did you get S or X?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.