rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

On 19/12/2017 at 12:19, evilashchris said:

Quite tempted by Fall of Cybertron.

Any good?

Well I'm about to buy it for the third fucking time so yes. My favourite Transformers game.

• Upvote 1

Just in case anyone was tempted by the lure of an old-school top-down racer like I was, I can let you know that the Rock n Racing bundle is an unremitting pile of crap.

Consider me taking one for the team here.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's a really shameless name! No wonder they got you

Yes. I should've heeded pretty much every other review you can find online but I'm a sucker for the style.

https://www.gamerpros.co/report-seems-keyboard-mouse-support-coming-xbox/

“Some players prefer to conquer the virtual world with a pad in hand. Others, above all, value the precision of the mouse movements. Others, however, can not imagine playing on anything other than a keyboard. Now, owners of Xbox One consoles (including Xbox One S models and the latest Xbox One X) can choose these accessories and decide for themselves what they will use. “PC Master Race”? Thanks to the keyboard support, we can already successfully talk about “Xbox MasterRace”!”

lnwh.gif

• Upvote 3

Not keen on that at, it'll ruin MP shooters. You either use kb/m which I just don't like as a control scheme these days or you get your arse handed to you. Hopefully developers will still be able to disable it. 

• Upvote 1

I must say I’m totally loving the Elite pad. I mainly got it for the paddles, which I could see solving some dodgy control scheme choices in some of my favourite games by getting stuff off the d-pad, but I’ve been using every single extra ‘pro’ feature of the pad. Hair triggers for shooters, a tall right analogue stick for precision aiming in PUBG, the circular d-pad for SFIV. I even plugged in the cable last night though I doubt I could notice any perceptible reduction in input lag. I still failed to get a single kill in PUBG!

What do people use the different sticks for? A cursory google told me about the aforementioned increase in aiming accuracy via a taller stick, but what are the short concave sticks for? What’s best for racers?

• Upvote 1

On 19/12/2017 at 21:08, Yoshimax said:

One of:

1) It’ll auto-install if console is in instant standby

2) it’ll install next time he powers it up

3) it’s in his ready to install queue

Right, I went round last night to surreptitiously examine the situation (godson's Xbox One S setup)... which was tricky, as he was playing Fortnite. What I did manage to do was briefly wrestle the controller away to set the console into instant standby. What I couldn't do was see if FH3 had installed itself somewhere or not (after doing the "Install on Xbox One" thing from the MS Store), but he's still not mentioned it if it has. 

My plan on Xmas eve is to redeem a Rocket League code on my account and have the game ready for him on his Xbox come Xmas morning, via magic. Worst case I'm assuming it'll at least be downloaded but in the above mentioned "ready to install" queue, but if that's where FH3 is already sitting then he doesn't know where that is and nor do I. What's the quickest way to access that and to install the games (hopefully) sat lovingly waiting within? Just in case I need to explain how to get going with them. On the plus side he was in some game chat and seemed a bit down that a couple of his mates were talking about Rocket League and he doesn't have it, so it'll be cool to get that on there.

Just hit the Xbox symbol button on the controller and then choose my games and apps. There is a list on the left hand side including installed games, apps, memberships, ready to install, updates available, and queue.

Any games not installed should be listed under ready to install. If you click on queue, it will show you the last 5 games to either have installed or updated.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SteveH said:

The January Sale has started early it seems:

https://www.storeparser.com/en-GB/xbox-one/deals/

Been looking through both sales and most of the stuff in the XBox sale is more expensive than on PSN for some reason. Worth comparing before purchasing if you own both consoles and it's not an X enhanced title.

Tempted by Forza Horizon 3 at 20 quid and then the expansion pass for 9 quid though.

• Upvote 1

FH3 is my GOTY for me. Not sure if it came out this year, but it's what we I've played most over the last 12 months. The Hot Wheels expansion is a proper hoot as well. Just loads of fun. Well worth the price of admission.

• Upvote 3

On 21/12/2017 at 14:01, Pob said:

I must say I’m totally loving the Elite pad. I mainly got it for the paddles, which I could see solving some dodgy control scheme choices in some of my favourite games by getting stuff off the d-pad, but I’ve been using every single extra ‘pro’ feature of the pad. Hair triggers for shooters, a tall right analogue stick for precision aiming in PUBG, the circular d-pad for SFIV. I even plugged in the cable last night though I doubt I could notice any perceptible reduction in input lag. I still failed to get a single kill in PUBG!

What do people use the different sticks for? A cursory google told me about the aforementioned increase in aiming accuracy via a taller stick, but what are the short concave sticks for? What’s best for racers?

I'd be interested in what people use the extra bits and bobs for too.  I've got one myself, bought it last Christmas when Argos were selling them with a free game, but I just use it like a regular controller, without any of the paddles fitted underneath. Would love to know what others use them for, particularly in driving games.

They really are a quality piece of kit though, they feel nicley weighty and expensive.

1 hour ago, multiclunk said:

I'd be interested in what people use the extra bits and bobs for too.  I've got one myself, bought it last Christmas when Argos were selling them with a free game, but I just use it like a regular controller, without any of the paddles fitted underneath. Would love to know what others use them for, particularly in driving games.

They really are a quality piece of kit though, they feel nicley weighty and expensive.

I tried Forza with paddles as shifters but to be honest I find the face buttons easier for changing gear. The paddles are great for games where the designers ran out of convenient places to put essential controls (e.g switch fire mode and select grenade in PUBG, which are relegated to the d-pad and which can be activated much more quickly and, crucially, while on the move when assigned to the paddles) but they do get in the way a bit and can be pressed accidentally. 

I’d definitely like to get some tips on what the best sticks are for steering in racing games. 

• Upvote 1

Surely the perfect thing for the paddles on the back is a doubled face button or two for thirds-person games where you need to hold A to sprint or such. Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Dark Souls and countless others. I end up having to hold the controller with a strangely clawed hand to be able to sprint and rotate the camera at the same time.

True that would be good. I can’t think of any games that require that recently though, at least not on a face button. Even GTAOnline gives control options to get around that (I’ve got run in RB on that game). 

I also think that having to look where you’re going while sprinting is quite realistic :)

Actually I’ve just realised not only can the paddles be used at either height, they can be turned upside down and swapped over. The shorter one as far up as possible gets them right out of the way and is perfect. Result!

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

Actually I’ve just realised not only can the paddles be used at either height, they can be turned upside down and swapped over. The shorter one as far up as possible gets them right out of the way and is perfect. Result!

This is the recommended arrangement...

IMG_20150610_150253-640x475.jpg

Yeah I have just those top ones and it’s spot on. Had them upside down before and they were quite easy to press accidentally. 

Does credit expire? I got £25 worth of Live credit for Christmas, but there's nothing I fancy right now. It's only on a receipt so I'd rather enter the code now, but worry it'll disappear if I don't use it.