Jump to content
rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Recommended Posts

I’d say maybe have a usb cable attached and connect it then power on? That way it’ll be in PC mode and won’t power it on. Can then remove cable and use wireless?

 

not sure as I use the dongle on my PC and only used it to stream from Xbox downstairs but got fed up having to resync all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had a faulty console and done an Advanced Exchange Repair before? If so how long should it take for them to send me a the replacement console?

 

My Xbox One X has gone faulty and I got in touch with them last Saturday. They’ve put a hold of £450 on my credit card as they said they would, but since then there’s been no movement at all.

 

Is this normal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started playing forza horizon 2 yesterday and then read this morning it will no longer be on sale as of end of September.

 

I actually have been enjoying it more than I thought. However after getting through Nice it invites me to a road trip to a new location where I need to select a championship (for example modern rallying). 

 

However when I try to buy a car with the credits I have earned it says service not available chec on the forza website. I had a look but couldn’t see why. I sometimes get prompted to pay money to get certain cars but I assume these are dlc so you don’t need them to play.

 

The problem is without buying the correct car I can’t proceed in the game. What am I doing wrong.

 

Is the storm island dlc any good?

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, crocked said:

Just started playing forza horizon 2 yesterday and then read this morning it will no longer be on sale as of end of September.

 

I actually have been enjoying it more than I thought. However after getting through Nice it invites me to a road trip to a new location where I need to select a championship (for example modern rallying). 

 

However when I try to buy a car with the credits I have earned it says service not available chec on the forza website. I had a look but couldn’t see why. I sometimes get prompted to pay money to get certain cars but I assume these are dlc so you don’t need them to play.

 

The problem is without buying the correct car I can’t proceed in the game. What am I doing wrong.

 

Is the storm island dlc any good?

 

 

 

Storm Island is good fun got it back in the day for full price... .Not sure I'd bother now with FH4 on its way unless its cheap....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Storm Island is alright. Once you’ve done a couple of championships, it starts to feel like every race is the same, but it’s definitely worth the 2 - 3 quid it seems to be on sale for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Wars BF2 is $9 for gold members. I bought it with Bing rewards, as an impotent shrug to EA. 64gb download though, hells bells.

 

I assume there's a similar UK price on. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, crocked said:

Just started playing forza horizon 2 yesterday and then read this morning it will no longer be on sale as of end of September.

 

I actually have been enjoying it more than I thought. However after getting through Nice it invites me to a road trip to a new location where I need to select a championship (for example modern rallying). 

 

However when I try to buy a car with the credits I have earned it says service not available chec on the forza website. I had a look but couldn’t see why. I sometimes get prompted to pay money to get certain cars but I assume these are dlc so you don’t need them to play.

 

The problem is without buying the correct car I can’t proceed in the game. What am I doing wrong.

 

Is the storm island dlc any good?

 

 

 

I've been playing it too. I think the bit that it's saying is not available is the paint designs stuff. Presumably they've taken the servers for this bit down? If it's the same as on mine, you can just back out of that and pick a manufacturer's colour.

 

Does seem a bit rubbish though, especially since it's on GwG. If they don't work any more they could surely do a simple patch that means it doesn't try to load it every time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...And I thought that servers needing to be taken offline wasn't a thing now they're all on demand as part of the Azure cloud. 

 

Seems strange that they'd pare back features without an explanation on a GWG title that they're presumably using as an advert for the upcoming game in the series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

...And I thought that servers needing to be taken offline wasn't a thing now they're all on demand as part of the Azure cloud. 

 

Seems strange that they'd pare back features without an explanation on a GWG title that they're presumably using as an advert for the upcoming game in the series. 

 

As far as I understand it depts in MS get cross charged for Azure servers.. so if they switch them on someone will get billed for usage. Not sure how XBox service costs are charged etc but I expect they'll be a charge someone doesn't want to pay and hence some bits work and others not. Annoying.

 

This is what concerns me a bit going forward if you are enjoying a game with lots of online hooks and the servers get switched off at some point rendering parts of your game unusable then what? Or the title gets delisted? Not had this problem with MS yet all my old content has been available but wonder how long for?

 

Forza Horizon 2 has officially been declared "end of life" at the end of the month https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-19-forza-horizon-2-will-reach-end-of-life-status-next-month-and-be-removed-from-the-xbox-store . Not sure what this means but I expect none of the online stuff will work post this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In any case, surely you just dynamically scale the number of instances you require in response to load? Not only that, but for paint stuff, what's the real-terms cost of having a single DB instance running on a virtual server so that the game can grab some meta data to display some car colours? This is why people get grumpy about elements of always-online games and digital purchases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phil said:

In any case, surely you just dynamically scale the number of instances you require in response to load? Not only that, but for paint stuff, what's the real-terms cost of having a single DB instance running on a virtual server so that the game can grab some meta data to display some car colours? This is why people get grumpy about elements of always-online content and digital purchases.

 

Agree... The game is only 4 years old and at the end of the month you won't be able to buy it from the store. OK FH4 is coming out but surely they can keep this in the catalogue for a budget entry into the Forza Horizon games on the XBO? I mean you can still buy XBox and XB360 content on the store. Baffling. I guess its probably something to do with licensing. Going forward though this is worrying unless you buy a game at release or after you have a limited time span to experience that game and for future generations the game will be lost completely unless a physical disk will work in a new console in future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MattyP

 

The thing is that with online integration being so prevalent, surely if I want to play a game but can't play game A, I'll play game B... Which also requires some part of the Azure network to handle some load. 

 

As @Phil mentions, the whole thing with Azure is that it only uses the bits that need to be running at any moment, there's no Forza Horizon 2 server, if I play Forza Horizon 4, it could well be the exact same hardware running it for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MattyP And, given the patch-happy nature of development now, the version on disc, even if it worked, would not necessarily contain the most complete or best version of the game. V1.0 could contain various bugs etc. and have missing content where modes and features have been patched in, post launch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

External drives then. 

 

As we can see, removing the game just makes people suspicious of how long they'll own their games for. 

 

It goes against everything that Microsoft seem to be heading towards - a platform where the games travel with your account, irrespective of age and hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

External drives then. 

 

As we can see, removing the game just makes people suspicious of how long they'll own their games for. 

 

It goes against everything that Microsoft seem to be heading towards - a platform where the games travel with your account, irrespective of age and hardware. 

 

Think its a licensing thing though - probably more prevelent in racers - music and car licenses. I expect there won't be a problem with the patches etc remaining available although its certainly not clear what happens when a game reaches "end of life" at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

External drives then. 

 

As we can see, removing the game just makes people suspicious of how long they'll own their games for. 

 

It goes against everything that Microsoft seem to be heading towards - a platform where the games travel with your account, irrespective of age and hardware. 

 

Even with an external drive, if the game's got online hooks and the servers are switched off, then you still have a game that doesn't necessarily function as it once did. It does seem antithetical to what MS have talked about, and while I understand games no longer being sold where licensing affects new sales, I don't understand switching off servers in a world where no-one should need to buy or maintain hardware dedicated to a particular game.

 

A similar thing has happened with Demon's Souls on the PS3, where the servers that set things like World Tendency have been switched off. People in the community are now working on coding their own replacements them so that game can continue to function as it used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Phil said:

 

Even with an external drive, if the game's got online hooks and the servers are switched off, then you still have a game that doesn't necessarily function as it once did. It does seem antithetical to what MS have talked about, and while I understand games no longer being sold where licensing affects new sales, I don't understand switching off servers in a world where no-one should need to buy or maintain hardware dedicated to a particular game.

 

Recently experienced this when I fired up Project Gotham Racing 4 - although the game was playable all the servers had been switched off and PGR nations was an element of the game I used to enjoy. Along with replays and photos etc. As most games are online focussed these days it seems that in future we may be left with fairly shallow experiences when the servers go. In particualr MS keep mentioning "powered by cloud" so wondering what will happen to the likes of Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves if MS decide to make them "end of life".

 

Guess in the end the expectation is that we should always be shifting on to newer things all the time which makes me wonder will retro gaming even exist in the future with the current gen of consoles? I guess the future is in our hands to a degree keep playing the games you enjoy if they get used the servers will stay up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that licensing agreements and the need to pay for servers makes long-term support of driving games in particular quite difficult, but killing off a game like Forza Horizon 2 after just four years is bad in itself and shutting down key features like the design market and Forza Rewards seems like absurd penny-pinching from Microsoft. Forza Horizon was one of the console’s flagship games, it seems mad to “end its life” so abruptly when driving games from ten years ago are still available online. So much effort went into this game – building something beautiful and then giving it a lifespan of four years was bad enough in Blade Runner, don’t do it with Forza. And at least let players use all of the game’s features until they pull the plug.

 

This sort of thing does raise the question as to whether the same thing will happen to the Call of Duty games, when the licensing agreements with Colt or Smith & Wesson run out.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, K said:

I get that licensing agreements and the need to pay for servers makes long-term support of driving games in particular quite difficult, but killing off a game like Forza Horizon 2 after just four years is bad in itself and shutting down key features like the design market and Forza Rewards seems like absurd penny-pinching from Microsoft. Forza Horizon was one of the console’s flagship games, it seems mad to “end its life” so abruptly when driving games from ten years ago are still available online. So much effort went into this game – building something beautiful and then giving it a lifespan of four years was bad enough in Blade Runner, don’t do it with Forza. And at least let players use all of the game’s features until they pull the plug.

 

This sort of thing does raise the question as to whether the same thing will happen to the Call of Duty games, when the licensing agreements with Colt or Smith & Wesson run out.

True - when you hear about licensing expiring it always makes me think of games at the cheaper end of the spectrum, or games that the publisher didn't really give a fuck about. The Forza brand could do without that appearance given the recent quality of other MS-exclusive franchises.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pob said:

True - when you hear about licensing expiring it always makes me think of games at the cheaper end of the spectrum, or games that the publisher didn't really give a fuck about. The Forza brand could do without that appearance given the recent quality of other MS-exclusive franchises.

 

Yeah, I can understand it when Sega do something like this - "Twenty four months?! I thought we'd signed a contract with Ferrari for twenty four years" - but it feels like a Microsoft product should have a bit more durability.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like the fact these are franchising plays into the way the licensing works. After 4 years you've got another two Horizon titles, so why pay more in 2014 to license the content for longer when you know many customers will have moved onto the newer, shinier versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Phil said:

It seems like the fact these are franchising plays into the way the licensing works. After 4 years you've got another two Horizon titles, so why pay more in 2014 to license the content for longer when you know many customers will have moved onto the newer, shinier versions.

 

Indeed must be a balancing act really. If sales are going to extremely low after 4 or so years after release there is no incentive for MS to either re-license the content included or pay to have a dev team patch the game to remove the licensed content. I would have hoped the MS would patch out the licensed content TBH especially with their own studios creations.

 

Think this sort of thing is why my favorite arcade racers (PGR series) will never come to the BC on the XBox which is a shame. Again they are all MS studios output so was hoping they would make an appearance at some point. Just saddens me that unless you have bought Forza Horizon 2 digitally before then end of this month or downloaded and continue to sub to the Gold service you will never get to play it unless your source a physical copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing Microsoft can point to this generation is their support for older games, something they've done a much better job of than Sony or Nintendo. It's kind of undermined by them pulling their current systems most highly regarded exclusive after only four years. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Phil said:

It seems like the fact these are franchising plays into the way the licensing works. After 4 years you've got another two Horizon titles, so why pay more in 2014 to license the content for longer when you know many customers will have moved onto the newer, shinier versions.

 

I dunno, it’s not like FIFA or Madden where there’s no point in buying last year’s version. Given that each game has this completely unique map and events, you would think that some people would go back and pick up earlier versions if they jumped in at FH3 or 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon have a bunch of Xbox One / Windows 10 Digital Play Anywhere games on Deal of the Day today. I'll link the bank holiday deal thread, but they are all in the top in there. - 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I think it's a bit broken at the moment as opposed to them shutting servers permanently. 

 

 

 

Kind of my hunch too... I was playing online with it last week - the online roadtrip played fine.. private roadtrip didn't work. Also the online vinyls and designs and things still aren't working since they put it onto gold.

 

Still really enjoying this again... I predominatly played it in single player anyway with the odd time attack session. Still think this is the best Forza Horizon... until October. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I think it's a bit broken at the moment as opposed to them shutting servers permanently. 

 

 

I guess that would make more sense.

 

I also hope, going forward, they at least consider what might happen to games used beyond their planned support life or licence deal. It would be nice if stuff could naturally stop working, without being patched. And that's more work up front, versus later patching to turn off licensed stuff, but it mirrors the commitment to the idea of taking games forward that they're trying to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.