rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

On 01/06/2019 at 09:02, TehStu said:

I can't find the post, but I previously complained about no center speaker during Blu Ray playback. Turns out, it did affect games too, like speech during cutscenes. 

Anyway, my TV does DD pass thru, and the sound bar does DD, but I had to set the sound on the Xbox to bitstream DD, rather than uncompressed 5.1.

Just FYI, in case anyone else gets this issue.

Bugger, nope. I later discovered that bitstream pass thru to the sound bar introduces an amount of latency the sound bar can't correct for, so there's minor lip sync issues. Bugger. It's definitely the sound bar, because it affects my fancy TV and the old cheap one.

I'm going to solve it by getting a powered toslink splitter and just wiring all 3 devices to the sound bar separately. Cheaper than new sound equipment. Unless you opted for a $1000 toslink cable, which my local is happy to sell you. Lol wtf.

15 hours ago, Dudley said:

The original xbox version had a disk which they could presumably make BC should they wish.

I presume that because each title has to be approved by the original publisher this would still fall outside the licensing agreement originally put in place by Sega and Ferrari. Microsoft would also have to put their team of programmers on the job and have them create the emulated version for zero return as well, it's not an automated process or a series of checkboxes, unfortunately. 

23 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I presume that because each title has to be approved by the original publisher this would still fall outside the licensing agreement originally put in place by Sega and Ferrari. Microsoft would also have to put their team of programmers on the job and have them create the emulated version for zero return as well, it's not an automated process or a series of checkboxes, unfortunately. 

Yeah, they've done a few games that gave them zero return of course, you'd think the whole thing up there would apply to Forza Horizon 1.

This is a bit specific, moved the Xbox One back upstairs to use with a Panasonic P46ST30 & Yamaha 473 AV receiver. All 4 inputs are in use and so the Xbox One X is in TV HDMI1 to use ARC via HDMI2 back to the amp, which works to an extent but it's only passing through 2.0 stereo and selecting 5.1, 7.1 or bitstream just results in the Xbox refusing to do so and saying my receiver doesn't support it. Lies, of course it supports it. Before I start swapping cables about and fiddling with every setting under the sun, is there anything obvious I need to look at anyone's aware of?

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

What passthrough capability does the TV have? Can't you plug a device into HDMI2 that doesn't really need 5.1?

Having checked after thinking "nah, surely it'd have the capability", it seems even up to the 60 series plasmas they still couldn't do that, with sound over ARC always being downgraded to 2.0. What a load of shit! Almost wish I'd have kept the 673 now when I redid downstairs last year but I didn't think I'd need that many HDMI inputs... because I'd be able to use ARC :facepalm: Not really an issue though, like you say I can swap something out instead.

So weird. I presume that Microsoft must have some ties with the manufacturer of Lynx (I remember seeing an ad on the 360 dashboard years ago), but it's difficult to see why either group (Xbox gamers or Lynx deoderant users) would be interested in this. It just diminishes the Xbox brand, imo. Same with the Doritos and Mountain Dew rubbish. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t think it’s a Microsoft thing, I remember the PS3 version of Wipeout having Lynx adverts on the loading screens. I would imagine it’s just that Lynx’s core audience of stinky teenaged nerds will also play loads of videogames. 

• Upvote 1

I guess that makes sense. I'm not sure that lynx have any competition though, surely for 25 years the sweet smell of Africa (or one of the other ones) has been masking the odour of the unshowered post P.E. teenager without any deviation. I mean, what else was/is there? 

I dunno what the situation is like with today’s crop of aromatic nerds, but when I was a teenager there were plenty of kids who played loads of computer games, but didn’t use any deodorant at all. 

Decided to get Hitman 2 Deluxe as I've had so much fun with the various free and Game Pass bits I thought it would definitely be worth a little treat to myself. 

Started Metro exodus today and I noticed it supports Dolby Atmos. I have the official Xbox stereo headset, is the atmos app worth getting? 

The official xbox headset is a bit crappy in all honesty but you'll notice a big upgrade with the Atmos app, If you can get a better set of headphones it'll blow you away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

The offer for Insiders to convert Xbox live to include Gamepass for £1 is on at the moment. I got 3 years for £1 :omg:

This thread contains the details:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-1-per-month-for-insiders-delta-tier.121700/

To save others trawling through that to find the answer this is how I did it.

I'm in the Xbox Insider thing and I searched "Game Pass" on the Windows Store on Windows 10. The Game Pass Ultimate thing came up and I clicked Join through that and it sent me to another site to complete the order.

• Upvote 1

Can confirm this works. I’ve just paid £1 and it’s cancelled my Xbox Live Gold Subscription and given me Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for free until April 2022. 

Can’t argue with that :-)

I'm on level 4 but have no surveys to complete to get me to level 5 and beta status to get this offer.

Is there any other way?

I’m only Level 4 and it came up for me. Have you tried searching for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate in the store (either on the console or in a web browser)?

I was wondering what happens if you try and add new increments of Live Gold to an account that's now 'Game Pass Unlimited' and someone on reddit has tried it. If you try and redeem a months code this happens:

t1ebwliqwa331.png

So you don’t actually gain anything then I guess. Definitely worth getting either your Live Gold or GamePass account as close to 3 years as possible before converting. 

11 minutes ago, Revival said:

I was wondering what happens if you try and add new increments of Live Gold to an account that's now 'Game Pass Unlimited' and someone on reddit has tried it. If you try and redeem a months code this happens:

t1ebwliqwa331.png

That seems reasonable enough to me seeing a month of Ultimate costs £10.99.

7 minutes ago, bridger said:

So you don’t actually gain anything then I guess. Definitely worth getting either your Live Gold or GamePass account as close to 3 years as possible before converting. 

You gain because it it adds both your Gold and Game Pass lengths together into Ultimate. So if you had 12 months Gold and 12 months Game Pass you'd end up with 24 months Ultimate.

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

That seems reasonable enough to me seeing a month of Ultimate costs £10.99.

You gain because it it adds both your Gold and Game Pass lengths together into Ultimate. So if you had 12 months Gold and 12 months Game Pass you'd end up with 24 months Ultimate.

Unless I’m misunderstanding, In the screenshot it seems to indicate that it’s converting a 1 month code (31 days) into 20 days worth of service which seems to take into account the difference in price between the two. Which is why you’re not really gaining anything. 

I totally agree that you stand to gain lots on the initial conversion. I’ve just got Live Gold and Game Pass for 3 years for the price of Gold alone.