Xbox One Console Thread

17 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I'm totally going to buy one, but thats OT, the reason for this exchange is that you had called someone out for suggesting an expensive console coming later this year, saying it was unsuitable suggestion, based on cost. This is after you'd suggested the most expensive hardware currently available. :sherlock:

what I actually did was list each of the cheapest options vis-a-vis "What's the cheapest way to get a new Xbox One", for each of the existing Xbox Models: S, All-digital, and X

A series X would be "the most expensive way to get an new Xbox One". Also "My kids have commandeered mine, so I think we might need a second in the house" suggests some urgency, or at least a desire to have one before November.

I don't think I "called someone out".

Spoiler

now I'm a fucking sea lion. Fucking sea lions.

Digital Foundry have done a fun look back at the now infamous Xbox One reveal show:

I was browsing ResetEra a minute ago, and somebody posted this:

e256-cover_jpg_1400x0_q85.thumb.jpg.80b6f49fbf1bf75ff69e02173f35a96d.jpg

The fact that a magazine like Edge, felt that they could run with a front cover like that, is a good indicator of just how devastating the Xbox One reveal was considered to be for Microsoft and a timely reminder of the extent to which Phil Spencer has turned things around.

• Upvote 5
4 hours ago, SeanR said:

why would anyone buy a series X when it’s the same games, with shinier shinies?

that’s the most expensive way to play Xbox one games, isn’t it? :eyebrows:

Because some people, believe it or not, like shinier shinies. Like me. :D

Having also been back to that reveal for a video in semi-recent history yes, it was an utter car crash.

They teased a Halo reveal then made it a TV show for fucks sake.  And then they never made the TV show!  The biggest game they showed didn't come out for 3 years after the machine.  The first thing they ever showed an Xbox One doing was a stream of the price is right.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, SeanR said:

why would anyone buy a series X when it’s the same games, with shinier shinies?

that’s the most expensive way to play Xbox one games, isn’t it? :eyebrows:

Why would anyone buy a PS5 when it's the same games, with shinier shinies?

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Why would anyone buy a PS5 when it's the same games, with shinier shinies?

More excellent exclusives? Improved PSVR? PS4 backwards compatibility?

• Upvote 1
On 27/06/2020 at 04:08, Fargo said:

Unfortunately not, it just seems to time out on the final payment screen. Very strange. 

That happens to me when I use Safari. I have to switch to Firefox. Same happens on the PlayStation Store. I think it's due to the extra tracking protection.

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

That happens to me when I use Safari. I have to switch to Firefox. Same happens on the PlayStation Store. I think it's due to the extra tracking protection.

Cheers for the tip. Will try this out. 

11 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Digital Foundry have done a fun look back at the now infamous Xbox One reveal show:

The fact that a magazine like Edge, felt that they could run with a front cover like that, is a good indicator of just how devastating the Xbox One reveal was considered to be for Microsoft and a timely reminder of the extent to which Phil Spencer has turned things around.

EachElderlyBedbug-size_restricted.gif

• Upvote 3
21 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

I normally enjoy DF's looks back.  Even with them talking over the XBone reveal, it's lurking in the background, like an event version of Colin Robinson.  I didn't have the energy to continue.

1 minute ago, monkeydog said:

I normally enjoy DF's looks back.  Even with them talking over the XBone reveal, it's lurking in the background, like an event version of Colin Robinson.  I didn't have the energy to continue.

I need to watch it.  Avoided it so far.   man it was painful watching the lead up to the reveal and after as it was.   Hopefully the recent Facebook Gaming linkup isn't the start of a similar level of fuckup

17 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Hopefully the recent Facebook Gaming linkup isn't the start of a similar level of fuckup

It seems like there's less reason to be worried about it than it initially seemed but that was my first thought too. 

4 hours ago, Avuncular said:

What’s a gold rush X worth secondhand? Cex will give me £201 for it but that doesn’t seem like much.

Seems about right as they're going for around £250 on ebay.

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Seems about right as they're going for around £250 on ebay.

Yup. They tend to work out what fees and postage would cost and then take that off.

I've went back to early in this thread to read about the launch etc. I disappeared from the face of the earth a few months before launch and missed all the hype and fun. Great seeing the usual peeps being staunch for the machine when MS were rightfully getting a kicking after TVTVTV.  Funny reading that knowing that Microsoft did redeem themselves in the end with the One and S/X .

I actually went and played a bit of Ryse and Forza 5 (I'd already played a tiny bit of both of them a while back when I got my S) as I was reading posts with people receiving their machine and loading up their launch games, reacquainting myself with them whilst reading people's excitement from the launch actually gave me some of that launch excitement too. Was a killer reading a couple of members having their launch spoiled by faulty drives etc but funny when they gave them a thwack to remedy it.

Bit weird but I found it really fun.

I'm now deep in the Game Pass ecosystem and I'm really looking forward to the new machines. Just glad I'll be on the scene for next generation fun this time and won't have to relive it like some odd vicarious time traveller.

Off to read the upcoming machine's threads.

• Upvote 2

I had Dead Rising 3 and Black Flag at launch, I was also still using my 360/PS3 an awful lot as I had a ron of games I still hadn't finished. DR3 was impressive at the time with all of the zombies on screen, my first wow moment of the gen.

I remember being excited for the capabilities of the new Kinect, never realised of course. The only game I ever really used it for in the end was D4 (that crazy SWERY Xbox exclusive that was meant to be episodic) and it actually worked quite well. Otherwise the Kinect was a fairly pointless waste of space under the TV.

Also remember all those crazy TV apps they did which included achievements and everything. We actually used the Brazil World Cup ones for a few matches with those pointless (but fun at the time) survey questions.

Seems such a world away from the console we have now.

I have a pretty old TV. I'd love to upgrade it at some point, but with a 16 month old who has just started nursery in central Edinburgh, it likely won't be happening any time soon.

The other day I was looking at the movies available on sale via my Xbox. The UHD option was only something like £1.50 dearer on one of them, and it got me thinking - if I bought that version, given my TV doesn't support UHD, will it just scale it down? Or would it not work at all?

I really don't know enough about these things.

On 28/06/2020 at 18:11, SeanR said:

More excellent exclusives? Improved PSVR? PS4 backwards compatibility?

Another Horizon Zero Dawn game, another Ratchet & Clank game, another Spider-Man game. ;)

3 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Another Horizon Zero Dawn game, another Ratchet & Clank game, another Spider-Man game. ;)

yes, I said as much

On 28/06/2020 at 18:11, SeanR said:

More excellent exclusives?

:quote:

3 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Wrong!

Isn't Spiderman just standalone DLC?

Is anyone else finding that new game captures (video) can't be played on the app? I can play anything except stuff I've recorded today.

I'm able to access them through xboxdvr.com but it's a bit annoying that I can't just download them via the app.