Xbox One Console Thread

So, now lockdown is over I treated myself to the Gears of War X special edition and a new 4K tv.

My mind has been blown at how amazing the machine is. 

My highlights so far:

Gears 5 - how the heck does it look that good!
RDR2 - ditto

Hitman 2 - just pure amaze at how crisp everything looks 

Shadow of War - by far the biggest upgrade in terms of looks from my S. looks next gen!

Indiana Jones and The Emperors Tomb - just a staggering upgrade. So much so that my daughter’s boyfriend came in and asked how Uncharted was going!!!
Morrowind. Another amazing upgrade and I might finally get somewhere with the game

Far Cry 5 -  this already looked great. But now it looks brilliant 

Only downside is that it only has a 1 tb  HD which is just daft when my Gears S has 2 tb

I'm still getting frequent e105 and e102 errors on my xbox one x. It is out of warranty so I was wondering is it worth replacing the hard disk? I have a spare 1TB 2.5 inch disk available. How difficult is it too replace and if I do and it goes wrong could I still send it back for service in the worst case?

On 12/07/2020 at 19:51, sandman said:

So, now lockdown is over I treated myself to the Gears of War X special edition and a new 4K tv.

My highlights so far:

RDR2 - ditto

Shadow of War - by far the biggest upgrade in terms of looks from my S. looks next gen!

Indiana Jones and The Emperors Tomb - just a staggering upgrade. So much so that my daughter’s boyfriend came in and asked how Uncharted was going!!!
Morrowind. Another amazing upgrade and I might finally get somewhere with the game

Only downside is that it only has a 1 tb  HD which is just daft when my Gears S has 2 tb

Got forza horizon 4 it's unbelievable Geoff 

My highlights so far:

RDR2 - ditto

To make sure you are getting the best out of your X (and your TV) download the free Insects app, its a brilliant visual indicator.

16 hours ago, crocked said:

I'm still getting frequent e105 and e102 errors on my xbox one x. It is out of warranty so I was wondering is it worth replacing the hard disk? I have a spare 1TB 2.5 inch disk available. How difficult is it too replace and if I do and it goes wrong could I still send it back for service in the worst case?

I took my one X apart to redo the thermal paste recently and getting to the hard drive - IIRC - is fairly simple.  If you're fairly competent with that sort of thing it won't tax you.  There are numerous teardown/ disassembly videos on YouTube that you can check before and during the process. 

I'm getting an 'installation stopped' error when I try install new games. Internet suggests deleting and restarting downloads, a reboot or a reset but no joy so far. Any ideas?

Edit: a further reboot fixed it, nevermind!

Stolen from Resetera, but it's seems like you can't buy Xbox Live 1 yearly subs any more. Maybe they're gearing up for some announcement at next week's event? Getting rid of paying for Live completely, maybe?

MHuthou.png

Prediction:

GP Ultimate to replace standard GP offering. 

Baseline GP price rising to £11.99 p/m.

A year free with every new Series console. 

Your move, Shu. 

That would be bad; gating online play solely behind a Gamepass Ultimate sub is something that the average user who only plays CoD or Fifa and buys 6 games a generation (or whatever the stats are) is not going to like - it'll be more expensive for those users despite the value of Gamepass.

I think they should ditch Gold, take the revenue hit and roll existing Gold subs into Gamepass subs. Give people experience of the service while creating a level playing field between their PC services (online is currently free) and their Xbox services (online is currently paid-for).

Or maybe they'll resurrect Games for Windows Live and try charging PC users for online, and rebrand the Xbox Gold service to match :P

I went back to this recently I sort of stopped ages ago when I got to the

Ice sailing on the skiff

I find it fairly pointless and a bit boring but persevered and got to another part like that, this time on

red sand instead of ice

After that, man does it kick up a notch. I'm glad I pushed on and also, holy shit does it look good. When the smoke, gunfire, electricity and everything else is interacting, it looks astonishing. Having only recently jumped to 4k, if someone had shown me footage of what I played tonight, even after getting my new tv,  I could have believed it was next gen. 

I wonder if the next gears title will look substantially better - it's hard to imagine how.

They could use the power to give the "AI" some "I" instead, maybe. :)

Called microsoft support yesterday and they said if I change the hard drive they will not offer support for my xbox which is out of warranty to be fair. The cost of repair (actually an exchange) is almost the same as the cost of the console (I still see them available but I guess not for long as the x has now been discontinued).  I do have a second x but that is at my parents and as our holidays were cancelled this year I won't see that for many months.

They described the repair as an exchange so I assume you would simply get a refurb but with no additional warranty.

I hadn't considered an xbox series x until now (mainly because of it's size to be honest) but it I have to stick several hundred into my xbox now a few months before the new version launches. I will give it a last go today restoring it and then I have 3 options:

1: Do the exchange / repair

2. If not try installing new hard drive and see if that helps

3. buy a new xbox one x  (which is a bit more expensive than repair exchange but comes with a game and spare controller)

4. Wait for xbox series x (providing it fits in my tv console as I believe it will be a tight fit even horizontally).  Is there any info on the expected price. I see release date is end of this year roughly.

I'm leaning towards options 2 - 3 but I was wondering if you can tell from the error codes what the actual issue is. I quoted it to support last night but they just answered they would do an exchange (it now fails during update repeatedly).

Does anyone know if game saves on gamepass are crossplay (i.e. compatible between xbox and pc). I have so far only used it on xbox but was thinking of finishing outer worlds on pc if I go with option 4.

Wow they’ve really gone to town on the cyberpunk edition one x it even makes some weird boot up noises from an internal speaker I thought it was borked when I first booted 

7 minutes ago, denisb said:

Wow they’ve really gone to town on the cyberpunk edition one x it even makes some weird boot up noises from an internal speaker I thought it was borked when I first booted 

I knew it made some different boot up noises, but when I first switched mine on I genuinely thought the disc drive was knackered!

My Forza 6 edition Xbox made the sound of a car starting up and revving the engine. The speaker must be whatever was in the Spectrum, because it sounds awful. 

32 minutes ago, TehStu said:

My Forza 6 edition Xbox made the sound of a car starting up and revving the engine. The speaker must be whatever was in the Spectrum, because it sounds awful. 

You'd think they would have tried to capitalise on this and sell different boot up sounds for different games.

I watched a uhd bluray for the first time on my new tv a couple of days ago. I expected a bit of noise from the disc spinning in the One X but man, It was significantly louder than I would consider "noticeable" - it's put me off watching Alien which I also bought on uhd.

It's so loud,  I would say it's borderline not fit for purpose.  

I wonder if the Series X drive / construction will be just as loud.  

4 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Was any reason given as to why the old Forzas aren't up on the store for BC? I never got to play FH2 as I had sold my XBOX for a PS3 by then.

Unfortunately, they’ve been delisted due to issues with the music licenses. Microsoft gave them away for free before doing this, I think, so lots of people have them and you can redownload them if you’ve ever owned them.

If it makes you feel any better, FH2 probably is the least pretty of them all since the FH1 4K patch. (But it’s also the best of them all).

Ahhh nuts to that. I'm sure they'll do a remaster sometime since every game ever made seems to get one eventually.

Would the disc version work on the XB1? Surely?