Xbox One Console Thread

24 minutes ago, carlospie said:

If I have a headset is the dolby atmos worth a purchase? Does it actually make a difference? 

I use it all the time, but if I hadn't already got it for free I'd be more than happy with Windows Sonic. I can barely tell the difference.

37 minutes ago, carlospie said:

If I have a headset is the dolby atmos worth a purchase? Does it actually make a difference? 

Right now, no. Come the release of the ps5, pseudo surround sound will become the most important thing ever. 

On 29/07/2020 at 19:00, Wahwah* said:

Right now, no. Come the release of the ps5, pseudo surround sound will become the most important thing ever. 

It’ll also be built in to most things and work with regular old stereo headphones as a result. It’s a bad time to spend money on special headphones for virtual surround.

Edit - Read the original post three times to be sure and still misunderstood it.

I think MS’ built in solution will be what everyone targets so I don’t see the point in Dolby’s.

On 29/07/2020 at 18:21, carlospie said:

I'm going to put the opposite point of view here and say that I think Dolby Atmos is a big improvement over Windows Sonic - if you use the Movies preset. It gives a really natural sound, voices don't sound over-processed like they do with Sonic and the surround effect works well. And obviously it sounds great on games or movies with an Atmos soundtrack! I bought the Atmos plugin and I use it on everything, I think it's great.

Lots of people seem to like DTS:X, which is the third option, I wasn't so keen on that one personally (though it had the widest soundstage of all three) but these things are so subjective and can vary based on the shape of your head or your ears let alone the headphones you're using! Both Atmos and DTS:X have free trials though so you've got nothing to lose by downloading them both and switching between all three until you work out which one is your favourite.

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It’ll also be built in to most things and work with regular old stereo headphones as a result. It’s a bad time to spend money on special headphones for virtual surround.

The whole point of Windows Sonic, Atmos for Headphones and DTS:X on the Xbox is that they DO work with regular old stereo headphones and sound great. It's one of the Xbox One's big advantages over the PS4, which does lock its surround sound behind specific headsets.

Yeah, I already knew that but completely misread the post. I thought he was asking if it was worth getting Dolby Atmos headphones like an Astro setup or something.

Manufacturer-designed surround being everywhere is probably going to cut hugely in to Dolby and DTS’s licensing money. I can see why they released a plug in for Xbox but I wasn’t sure why people would pay separately, it sounds like it’s just better from your description.

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Yeah, I already knew that but completely misread the post. I thought he was asking if it was worth getting Dolby Atmos headphones like an Astro setup or something.

Manufacturer-designed surround being everywhere is probably going to cut hugely in to Dolby and DTS’s licensing money. I can see why they released a plug in for Xbox but I wasn’t sure why people would pay separately, it sounds like it’s just better from your description.

Windows sonic, is utterly terrible in comparison.

I think you can still get a demo version of atmos  on the MS store, give it a whirl!.  Stick a movie on with surround sound, and switch between them!

It also really shows that sony are a bit of an ass by not letting you use it on ps4, and then,. creating something which sounds like it does the exact same thing on the ps5 lol.

and yes, its great with games too!

The only problem with the Atmos plugin is that it occasionally stops working: it reverts back to Windows Sonic and won't work again until you reboot the Xbox. I've definitely seen MS reporting this as a known bug somewhere though so I assume it's a dashboard oddity that'll get fixed fairly soon.

19 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Edit - Read the original post three times to be sure and still misunderstood it.

I think MS’ built in solution will be what everyone targets so I don’t see the point in Dolby’s.

The point I was making (light heartedly) is that I don't think it's a big deal and it's been around for a while. But I also expect it to be something that will feature in PS5 marketing and that some people will experience it for the first time, maybe even (as in the case of one of my friends) getting excited about buying Sony's special headphones, which he believed briefly to contain some physical properties that enabled surround sound. 

xbox-aug20.png.6c43fcdd1ba823aed7cb2d684f50ae4a.png

Welcome to the Xbox One release list for August 2020!

Kicking things off with Game Pass news, So far there's six announced titles. UnderMine is an action-adventure roguelike that blends combat and dungeon crawling with rpg-like progression and is available on the 6th alonside It Lurks Below which is an action-oriented, survival role-playing game in a randomly generated world, Created by one of the original co founders of the original Diablo studio.

Asobo Studio's incredible looking MS Flight Simulator launches on August the 18th for PC with a next gen Series X version expected early next year. After 26 long years the Battletoads make their much awaited return on August the 20th thanks to Rare and Dlala Studios’ reboot which looks like a genre busting mix of scrolling beat em up, shoot em up, puzzle and vehicular carnage.

Later this month [Aug 27] see's the first weekly episodic release of Tell Me Why, The latest narrative adventure game from DONTNOD Entertainment, the studio behind the beloved franchise, Life is Strange. In this intimate mystery, twins Tyler and Alyson Ronan use their supernatural bond to unravel the mysteries of their loving but troubled childhood in beautiful small-town Alaska. A day later inXile's biggest project to date Wasteland 3 is available on August the 28th. Wasteland 3 is a squad-based RPG, featuring challenging tactical turn-based combat and a deep, reactive story full of twists, turns, and brutal ethical decisions that will test your nerve and leadership skills.

Under the radar? Maybe take a look at Windbound.

An indie visual love letter to Zelda BOTW and Windwaker. Shipwrecked alone on an uncharted island, explore, adapt and navigate the land and perilous seas to stay alive. As Kara, you are a warrior, caught at sea in a fierce storm, adrift from your tribe. Thrown from your boat, at the mercy of the turbulent waters, you are tossed on to the shores of the Forbidden Islands, a mysterious paradise.

Release List:

Aug 04 - Conan Chop Chop
Aug 04 - Reclicta
Aug 04 - Skully
Aug 04 - Wizards: Wand of Epicosity
Aug 05 - Mystery Mine
Aug 05 - RogueCube
Aug 05 - Steam Tactics
Aug 05 - The Mean Greens: Plastic Warfare
Aug 06 - Aery - Broken Memories
Aug 06 - Clan N
Aug 06 - It Lurks Below [Free with Game Pass]
Aug 06 - Undermine [Free with Game Pass]
Aug 07 - Fast & Furious Crossroads
Aug 07 - HardCube
Aug 07 - Inertial Drift
Aug 07 - Swimsanity!
Aug 07 - WarriOrb
Aug 11 - Brunch Club
Aug 11 - Hyper Scape
Aug 11 - Party Hard 2
Aug 12 - Escape from Tethys
Aug 12 - Metamorphosis
Aug 12 - Prehistoric Dude
Aug 12 - Zero Strain
Aug 13 - Boomerang Fu
Aug 13 - Darkestville Castle
Aug 13 - Faeria
Aug 13 - The Alto Collection
Aug 13 - The Ambassador: Fractured Timelines
Aug 14 - Bite the Bullet
Aug 14 - Cooking Simulator
Aug 14 - Linn: Path of Orchards
Aug 14 - Of Tanks and Demons III
Aug 14 - The Explorer of the Night
Aug 14 - UFC 4
Aug 18 - Helheim Hassle
Aug 18 - Manifold Garden
Aug 18 - Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC version] [Free with Game Pass for PC]

Aug 18 - Mortal Shell

Aug 18 - Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Aug 18 - Spiritfarer [Free with Game Pass]
Aug 19 - Beyond Enemy Lines 2
Aug 19 - Norman's Great Illusion
Aug 19 - Stones of the Revenant
Aug 19 - Talking Tom Candy Run
Aug 20 - Battletoads [Free with Game Pass]

Aug 20 - Gleamlight

Aug 20 - Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
Aug 21 - Dungeon Scavenger 

Aug 21 - Harvest Moon: Mad Dash
Aug 21 - New Super Lucky's Tale

Aug 21 - Party Panic
Aug 21 - PGA Tour 2K21
Aug 21 - Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time

Aug 24 - Going Under
Aug 25 - No Straight Roads
Aug 25 - Remothered: Broken Porcelain
Aug 25 - Street Power Soccer

Aug 27 - Giraffe and Annika
Aug 27 - Tell me Why: Episode 1 [Free with Game Pass]

Aug 27 - The Last Campfire

Aug 28 - A Hero and a Garden

Aug 28 - Double Kick Heroes [Free with Game Pass]

Aug 28 - Drake Hollow [Free with Game Pass]

Aug 28 - Hexagroove: Tactical DJ
Aug 28 - Hypnospace Outlaw [Free with Game Pass]
Aug 28 - Immortal Realms: Vampire Wars
Aug 28 - Madden NFL 21
Aug 28 - Nexomon: Extinction
Aug 28 - Project Cars 3
Aug 28 - Road to Guangdong

Aug 28 - Tech Glitch
Aug 28 - Wasteland 3 [Free with Game Pass]
Aug 28 - Windbound

Trailers and Vids:

3 minutes ago, Revival said:

Later this month [Aug 27] see's the first weekly episodic release of Tell Me Why, The latest narrative adventure game from DONTNOD Entertainment

Didn't know these were coming out weekly. I assume they've finished the lot and are just staggering them out, which is much better than having no idea when the next one is coming.

Yep exactly that..

Tell Me Why, the newest episodic narrative adventure from Dontnod Entertainment, will see its first episode launch on August 27. Following that, the second episode will arrive on September 3, and the third episode will become available on September 10. 

Dontnod seem Perfect for Game Pass™ in many ways, so hopefully this works out well for them. Life is Strange 2 didn't seem to generate half as much buzz as the first series, sadly.

23 minutes ago, Dudley said:

That's weird given they just released a remake (Humans)

I don't think it's a promo, I believe  it's a mistake or something to do with changing the billing process for Series X. I saw something about being able to make purchases on Xbox One that previously could only be done on 360, so they're definitely changing things around. 

5 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Ikaruga is free in Argentina. Anyone can "purchase" it as there's no payment method needed.  I assume you'll need to be quick,  I have no idea why it's free. 

https://www.microsoft.com/es-ar/p/ikaruga/bz8zv7r2j95r

me, navigating the store: I can speak spanish? I had no idea!

and my knowledge of japanese is a surprise

Edited by SeanR

I’ve got Carrion installed on my Xbox but it doesn’t show in All Games and Apps. I pinned it when it first installed from the front page, so I launch it through there, but it’s pretty odd and I’m wondering if there’s a way to fix it or if anyone’s had similar?

On 05/08/2020 at 00:28, Hitcher said:

Have you hidden it by mistake?

I don’t think so. It never appeared after it downloaded. I just launched it from the Ready to Start notification. A few restarts later and it seems to have appeared, fortunately. 

I now seem to be having an issue with my One X where a specific bit in Destiny 2 (Nessus - The Captain mission) makes it switch off and then say it’s overheated. When I go to check the console it’s not particularly warm and I can play plenty of D2 without issue - it’s only that level that seems to make it crash. I wonder if the thing is on its way out.