Xbox One Console Thread

On 19/08/2020 at 12:22, Pete said:

So after 7 years without playing a console game I've bought an Xbox one. Have I missed much?

I'm actually being half serious, I've got GTA 5 for now and I want RD2 at some point, but what are the best racing games these days?

FH3 (going very soon, beautiful, varied, spectacular Hot Wheels DLC) 

FH4 (Game Pass - looks unreal, environments are all a bit similar due to being set in the UK) 

Forza Motorsport 7 (more sim than the Horizon games, beautiful but a tiny bit staid for me) 

Beyond that, Game Pass has pretty much all of the Xbox exclusives and a load of other third party indie-AAA stuff. That's your best bet to get started. There aren't many Xbox exclusives that I can recommend but plenty of people enjoy them, there's a wide variety, and as they're on GP there's nothing to lose. 

As for third party res not on Game Pass:

Titanfall 2 (exceptional, fluid FPS, still healthy player base)

Sekiro (fast-paced tough samurai Souls kind of game)

RDR2 (currently on GP but leaving at the end of September, I believe, just wanted to flag it to prompt you to sign up, two months of GP are cheaper than RDR2 on sale). 

On 19/08/2020 at 07:51, Revival said:

Is there something fundamentally broken about the implementation of this on the Xbox or am I missing something.

To open up the harder puzzles you have to collect starts (by completely the earlier puzzles in a certain set of moves). This is slightly frustrating as the intial puzzles are tivially easy. To open up the third set of puzzles you need 50 stars (you start with 10). So I did this and opened up the new tier of levels and did the first one. However when I returned to it later the third tier levels where then locked and to open them I needed to get 40 stars again, which is just utterly shit. However it's actually worse than that because you can't get stars again from the puzzles you have already completed. This means that there will actually come a point where once you have exhausted the first two tiers of puzzles you can never open the third tier (or subsequent tiers) again as you have no option to get more stars. Well apart from BUYING them, but surely that isn't what is supposed to happen!??!

6 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Motorsport 7 (more sim than the Horizon games, beautiful but a tiny bit staid for me) 

I guess I should mention 7 but someone coming new, I deliberately didn't.  7's game progression is wonky and really it's offering you little to nothing Horizon isn't in terms of real racing (because with a lack of proper real series and the stupid card system it doesn't try) but loses a lot of the charm and additional fun to be had in Horizon.

Amazon's refurb One Xes are back in stock from 04/09 at £180. I've just ordered one in case the S isn't what we expect, or it has something that makes me favour the X, which I'm not bothered about yet. If the S turns up with all the bells and whistles at 1080p I'll see if I can trade this in for one.

Otherwise I'll just play my Game Pass games and the new consoles can wait.

1 hour ago, Escaped said:

Amazon's refurb One Xes are back in stock from 04/09 at £180. I've just ordered one in case the S isn't what we expect, or it has something that makes me favour the X, which I'm not bothered about yet. If the S turns up with all the bells and whistles at 1080p I'll see if I can trade this in for one.

Wow just went to jump on this and looks like they're charging 299 now...

Edit: I'm mistaken, you need to click on the refurbished console option. doh!

If you buy a console late in its life for kids there's normally a cutoff point, where they've become old enough to feel left behind when their mates have the newer games. But unless you fancy one of the few exclusives this time, for another year or so it's just prettier versions of the same games. Faster loading appeals to me more than improved graphics for those!

I've my £1 GPU until April '22 and wouldn't pay full price for it, so maybe I'll just keep this until then and swap over to a PS5. It'll take a game I really want to shift me otherwise. Like I said, the only other possibility is that the S might be everything I want from a new console and I'll trade for one around Christmas time.

On 19/08/2020 at 12:22, Pete said:

So after 7 years without playing a console game I've bought an Xbox one. Have I missed much?

I'm actually being half serious, I've got GTA 5 for now and I want RD2 at some point, but what are the best racing games these days?

If open world racers aren't for you and you want just a tried and tested list of events to work through, then you can't go wrong with GRID.

Dirt Rally is an incredible hardcore sim-like rally experience. And the F1 games are great too. Codemasters have been smashing it.

Thanks all, I've been playing red dead which is as impressive technically as I'd hope. I'm not sure it's fun yet but I won't know that until I've killed a bear with a shotgun. It goes from the game pass on the seventh and there's no chance I'll get it done!

Thanks got the advice everyone. RDR2 is very boring, I'm surprised as I adored the original but this one is a hell of a lot of talking and sometimes it's trivial so I started skipping then I missed something key and now I don't care.

The missions are too easy, I only ever die when I'm caught out in the open, crouching up and down trying to put my bow away. While getting a bounty is too easy and everyone starts trying to kill you, even chasing you down for just walking in their way.

Forza horizon 4 is nuts on the other hand and couldn't be more different, love it. 

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Thanks got the advice everyone. RDR2 is very boring, I'm surprised as I adored the original but this one is a hell of a lot of talking and sometimes it's trivial so I started skipping then I missed something key and now I don't care.

The missions are too easy, I only ever die when I'm caught out in the open, crouching up and down trying to put my bow away. While getting a bounty is too easy and everyone starts trying to kill you, even chasing you down for just walking in their way.

Forza horizon 4 is nuts on the other hand and couldn't be more different, love it. 

RDR2 is a very marmite game - some people love it but I'm with you, it's boring as fuck and has no respect for your time.

Did you subscribe to Game Pass? If so, get Streets of Rage 4 downloaded if you're after some old-school arcade fun.

Yeah I got the game pass, I know red dead comes off soon so trying to crack on with it, but it became a bit of a chore. I've read some of the thread and it does get better apparently and everyone seems to quit where I am now, so I'll keep at it for now.

But yeah I'm reminded why I quit gaming, I felt I was wasting time which I never feel when I'm reading a book. So really I want games that are games, quick and disposable. 

38 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Imagine winning a One X two months before the Series X comes out.

And to top it all off, it looks like that. I thought they were WWE 1984 editions.

Thankfully those monstrosities are just for display, and the winners also get a standard One X.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yeah I got the game pass, I know red dead comes off soon so trying to crack on with it, but it became a bit of a chore. I've read some of the thread and it does get better apparently and everyone seems to quit where I am now, so I'll keep at it for now.

But yeah I'm reminded why I quit gaming, I felt I was wasting time which I never feel when I'm reading a book. So really I want games that are games, quick and disposable. 

Try Lonely Mountains Downhill.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I've been very happily just watching Outside Xbox's stream playthrough of that one, it really is what I expected which is basically GTA5 but it takes fucking ages to get anywhere.

Which is great, I can see why people could lose themselves in it but to remove the bits that made GTA5 remotely standable for me means I'd best not.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

If you don’t complete Red Dead in time, a second hand copy is £15 at CEX.

On 25/08/2020 at 20:55, Escaped said:

Mine worked, left overnight downloading system update and Forza horizon. Woke up and completely dead. 

Going to try to get a replacement.

No idea what has killed it.

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Imagine winning a One X two months before the Series X comes out.

And to top it all off, it looks like that. I thought they were WWE 1984 editions.

Can be sold or traded in so I don’t see a problem with winning one now. 

On 30/08/2020 at 14:20, SF-02 said:

Mine worked, left overnight downloading system update and Forza horizon. Woke up and completely dead. 

Going to try to get a replacement.

No idea what has killed it.

Unlucky, but you should be able to exchange it for another incoming refurb if you want to. When Amazon have no refurbs for replacement they offer refunds, or you can ask for one now. I've bought loads of refurbs (laptops; a TV; monitor; PS4...) and only had a problem once, and that was down to poor build quality.

My monitor came without a switch addon but Amazon didn't have a refurb to replace it with, so they offered something like £60 off or a refund and I took the former because the switch isn't vital. I then contacted BenQ and they sent me one for nowt!

Maybe these are more likely to fail on account of their reasons for being reoffered for sale, but I'll try a second if my first one gives out (due on the 3rd).

So here is Septembers release list in all it's glory, by no means complete (there are at least another 20+ games coming out in the next month). I had nothing to do with this, all the stellar work of Revival who has confirmed he is leaving the forum, it really is a shame to see him go but I wish him all the best regardless.

Sep 01 - Ary and the Secret of Seasons
Sep 01 - Iron Harvest
Sep 02 - Batu ta Batu
Sep 02 - CD Run
Sep 02 - Educational Games for Kids
Sep 02 - Mask of Mists
Sep 02 - Roommates
Sep 02 - Perfect Traffic Simulator
Sep 03 - Spellbreak
Sep 03 - Tell Me Why: Chapter 2 [Free with Game Pass]
Sep 03 - Touhou Luna Nights [Free with Game Pass]
Sep 04 - Lair of the Clockwork God
Sep 04 - Lou's Revenge
Sep 04 - Marvel's Avengers
Sep 04 - Mushroom Savior
Sep 04 - NBA 2K21
Sep 04 - The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters
Sep 04 - Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2
Sep 04 - Tony Stewart's All-American Racing
Sep 08 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning
Sep 08 - Necromunda: Underhive Wars
Sep 08 - OkunoKA Madness
Sep 08 - WRC 9
Sep 08 - Party Hard 2
Sep 09 - CarX Drift Racing Online
Sep 09 - Golf Zero
Sep 09 - Injection π23 No Name, No Number
Sep 09 - The Suicide of Rachel Foster
Sep 10 - Control: Ultimate Edition [Free Upgrade to Series X version]
Sep 10 - Deleveled
Sep 10 - Hotshot Racing [Free with Game Pass]
Sep 10 - Minoria
Sep 10 - Tin & Kuna
Sep 10 - Tell Me Why: Chapter 3 [Free with Game Pass]
Sep 10 - Vampire Masquerade - Shadows of New York
Sep 10 - Wintermoor Tactics Club
Sep 11 - Inertial Drift
Sep 11 - Reactor X
Sep 15 - eFootbal PES 2021 Season Update
Sep 15 - Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry
Sep 16 - Active Neurons 2
Sep 16 - Johnny Rocket
Sep 17 - Dog Duty
Sep 17 - Exp Parasite
Sep 17 - Pacer
Sep 17 - Rigid Force Redux (JP Store)
Sep 18 - Commandos 2 HD Remaster and Praetorians HD Remaster
Sep 18 - Crysis Remastered
Sep 18 - Praetorians HD Remaster
Sep 18 - The Secret Order: Return of the Buried Kingdom
Sep 18 - WWE 2K Battlegrounds
Sep 23 - Castlestorm II
Sep 23 - The Drone Racing League Simulator
Sep 23 - Unrailed
Sep 24 - Going Under
Sep 24 - Little Big Workshop
Sep 24 - Tears of Avia
Sep 24 - Tennis World Tour 2
Sep 25 - Mafia: Definitive Edition
Sep 25 - Port Royale 4
Sep 25 - Trollhunters: Defenders of Arcadia
Sep 29 - Bartlow's Dread Machine
Sep 29 - Projection: First Light
Sep 30 - Feather
Sep 30 - Swordbreaker The Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpkFM5TuL58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REZ4x7a48U8&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldE5stSQ8o&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRn85VgNWs&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x91lpMZ_wWk&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXRnA8_XPxo&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23FMtD6Zkn8&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAMDQr28aOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiiP0R_fmPw&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeBOiTPN9FE&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDfyJaLvK8&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdi5Z1Yli0A&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPCixigR7E&feature=emb_logo

EDIT - Shit at this, i can't even get the vids to embed properly, bring back Revival!

QQ around achievements, i guess i never really paid attention to 'rare' achievements in the past, i assumed they were just certain achievements that were marked as rare by the developers.  But i was playing Ep 2 of Tell Me Why last night, a few hours after it came out and every single achievement was rare, even the story based unmissable ones.  Why is that? Because next to no one had played the game by that point?

20 minutes ago, fattakin said:

QQ around achievements, i guess i never really paid attention to 'rare' achievements in the past, i assumed they were just certain achievements that were marked as rare by the developers.  But i was playing Ep 2 of Tell Me Why last night, a few hours after it came out and every single achievement was rare, even the story based unmissable ones.  Why is that? Because next to no one had played the game by that point?

Rarity is based on the % of players that have said achievement. I think it's classed as rare if less than 10% of players have said achievement. So most DLC achievements are rare for example due to being calculated based on the number of players who've played the base game. Also if it's a Gamepass game a lot of the achievements will be rare.