IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

You cannot use that as a serious argument. Unless the dashboard crap is in the game, it does not affect the game. What you might argue is that it indicates a direction that we all pretty much hate (unnecessary DLC, avatar crap, micro transactions, etc), but the PS3 is no less guilty on that score, as we know.

What does affect the game is the controller, and if you are telling me that you play games with a demonstrably inferior controller because you don't like what's on the dashboard...well, that wouldn't be my choice.

But if I like the controller on both, which I do, and both versions of the game are the same, which in mosts cases they are now, then stuff like the dashboard does become more important, even if it doesn't directly impact the game.

It hasn't been hugely important this/last gen because you put in a disc and you can launch it without more than a couple of button presses, but what happens when all of your games on on a hard drive? How easy the interface makes getting to your installed games is going to be important. Bloating the interface with a load of stuff unrelated to games could be really grating, and what they did to the 360 dashboard does not fill me with confidence.

Major Nelson, major r-tard

phptlmby6larryb8l7d.pngspacer.gif
Major Nelson (Larry Hryb):
Answer: No. It does not have to be always connected but it does require an internet connection.

Wasn't this idiot mocking the Sony reveal for not showing the actual console?

Yet Microsoft showed no games.

What does affect the game is the controller, and if you are telling me that you play games with a demonstrably inferior controller because you don't like what's on the dashboard...well, that wouldn't be my choice.

What's wrong with the PS3 dashboard? ;-)

No, you said it was primarily a gaming device. It's probably not going to be. Sure that's how you could use it but there's a difference.

I said it could be primarily a gaming device if that's what you want. What I meant, and what I posted above, was that I'm guessing you'll be able to jump straight into your games like you can with the 360.

4:44

spacer.gif

[Comment From Jon Dons Jon Dons: ]

Do you believe you've done enough to make the hardcore gamer happy while still appealing to a wider audience?

Wednesday May 22, 2013 4:44 Jon Dons

4:45

The hardcore gaming audience has given us some great feedback, and we watch that feedback carefully. I think they’ll be happy after E3.

Do you even have to ask?

Ah well. I'll be gold subbed up anyway, so it's no problem for me.

Here's a crazy thought, but I bet the majority of people moaning about it being behind gold already willingly pay their subs for the online gaming side of things.

Just something else to moan about I guess.

Here's what I think went wrong: I think Microsoft genuinely thought their TV guff was a game-changer.

Lots of people watch Netflix, Hulu and iPlayer etc on their 360, right? And obviously Microsoft love the idea of everyone watching TV through their Xbox, with people having to pay a Live subscription and go through their ad-filled dashboard.

The issue is that people buy the Xbox for games. The entertainment functionality is seen as a bonus, an extra, even if people end up primarily using it for that. Everyone watching was expecting a games console. After all the hype, it was considered a bait-and-switch.

And the price-point, geeky industrial design and associations with the Xbox brand will almost certainly put people those who actually want an "entertainment centre" off buying one.

And, ultimately, the 'entertainment centre' stuff just didn't seem compelling or impressive. They didn't demonstrate a compelling use case, nor did it seem organic and easy-to-use. It seemed more gimmicky than anything else, especially with the clunky voice controls.

Naturally no-one pirates for the 'sake of badness'. They internalise and dismiss the contradictions and tell themselves it's not bad (that's a separate debate), so it's not done for 'badness', it's done for one of a few reasons that the person views as good/reasonable/neutral. Who said anything about pirating for the sake of badness, for god's sake?

No-one is saying the decision to pirate is not rational either so I don't know why you mention that. The point is not that it's irrational (quite the opposite in fact) the point is that it is ridiculous to dismiss the reality that it benefits that person to have stuff they want for free.

Again, this frustrates the hell out of me. I have sat through 1,000 piracy debates on here and rarely if ever seen anyone acknowledge that when it's easy to get stuff you want for free people will get it for free because that satisfies their desire to experience that content and they also don't have to be out of pocket.

As the old joke goes in response to anti-piracy ads: of course you would download a car for free if you could. Or at least it would be laughable to pretend that a lot of people wouldn't and that there reason would be that they get to have a CAR for FREE, not some half-arsed excuses about pricing models.

But the pricing models are why people would download a car for free. In a scenario where a car can be conjured from nothing, current car prices would be irrationally and unsustainably high.

Again, all you seem to be bringing to this discussion is trying to remind people that it's what they're not supposed to do. Well, we know that. It doesn't mean we can't discuss why we do it and how games companies have an obligation to address it.

Again, all you seem to be bringing to this discussion is trying to remind people that it's what they're not supposed to do.

Again, no. This is about the third post of mine just today you've completely misrepresented and misunderstood. I haven't said anything like that. This was not a point about the morality of piracy. It was a point about the real motivations behind piracy.

Well, we know that. It doesn't mean we can't discuss why we do it

You mean discuss one possible element of why you do it, is what you actually mean.

Here's a crazy thought, but I bet the majority of people moaning about it being behind gold already willingly pay their subs for the online gaming side of things.

Sure. But I love my 360. It has all the games. All of them. And Ill continue to pay for the sub because I enjoy the system. But given Microsoft don't want me to take any of those games across to the new Xbox One Ill be considering it in the same light as I do as any other new console.

The anti-consumer game registering, the lack of incentive to stay locked in, and the massive focus on "entertainment" means this console offers absolutely nothing to me.

You mean discuss one possible element of why you do it, is what you actually mean.

Well, we've already raised price, convenience and availability, is there something I missed? They're all rational drivers behind the decision that companies have to address.

I think at one time I pirated things in order to just have things for free - it was a short lived period where I almost destroyed my interest in games and music because I had too much of everything on tap all of the time and I never took the time to appreciate anything. Steam has rendered PC piracy irrelevant for me and I've not done it in years - although I still pirate TV shows. That said, Game of Thrones season 2 on Blu-Ray has now joined the first, bought when it was available in this country.

I'll keep on downloading episodes of Season 3 on Usenet quite happily too. It'll get bought when they don't expect me to get a Sky subscription.

I actually canceled my Live sub today...

Wednesday May 22, 2013 4:44 Jon Dons
4:45
The hardcore gaming audience has given us some great feedback, and we watch that feedback carefully. I think they’ll be happy after E3.

Yeah, when Sony announce another wave of PS Plus excellence.