IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

Maybe there was a time when owning living rooms made sense, but not any more. It’s almost incomprehensible to watch how singularly Microsoft seems not to acknowledge how times have changed. “Not getting it” doesn’t even begin to describe the cognitive dissonance that watches the world diverge in thousands of app-shaped directions and concludes that it only wants to be able to watch NFL while tweeting, playing Madden and racing.

Victor Hugo once said that “one cannot resist an idea whose time has come,” but the corollary of that is that one cannot perpetuate an idea whose time has gone. Microsoft can continue to dream like Howard Hughes of a grand world in which we all hook up our consoles and Kinects to our cable boxes and then sit around Father Television to watch The Price is Right. But it’s doing so at the expense of a market that it helped to create, while searching for a customer which arguably no longer exists.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/25/what-games-are-xbox-one-is-microsofts-spruce-goose/

The German government isn't happy about Kinect:

Berlin - The Federal Data Protection Commissioner Peter Schaar has announced the Microsoft Xbox game console One criticism. "Under the heading, game device 'Microsoft pushes a monitoring device in the market," Schaar told SPIEGEL. "The Xbox continuously records all sorts of personal information about me. Reaction rates, my learning or emotional states. The are then processed on an external server, and possibly even passed on to third parties. Whether they will ever deleted, the person can not influence."
The game console is equipped with a camera system to capture the spatial information and can recognize the faces of users. Microsoft plans for the console a deep integration into the consumer electronics equipment of its users - all devices from the TV receiver to the amplifier should be controlled via voice and gesture control console. The group wants the apparatus further than use market research tool : The Xbox One, says Microsoft executive Phil Spencer, will ensure that "we know what people are busy We can take a vote and feed their voice in the creative process.".
A patent application suggests that Microsoft's console might also want to use in other ways - for example, to calculate using the Kinect camera prices for movie downloads then, how many people sit in front of the TV set . Microsoft has not yet commented on the patent application.
Afraid that Microsoft is listening on conversations about the console's built-in camera microphones, data protection, Peter Schaar has not: "The fact that Microsoft now spying on my living room is merely a twisted nightmare." In some media reports had pointed out that the game console can also be turned on with a voice command. This means that the microphones the console must be turned on in the standby state.
The Xbox was the last one was presented Tuesday in Redmond , they should come to the market for the Christmas season.

The creepiest thing is that Microsoft will be constantly harvesting information about each person in a home who is playing games, watching TV or movies and for how long.

Is there any confirmation whether the kinect needs to be able to detect a person for the system to function fully or can you just place it faced against a blank wall?

The current status quo with disc based games which are installed to the HDD, where they need to be in the disc tray does irritate the hell out of me on a regular basis. Not paying more than £20-£25 for something I can't sell on though. That's my current upper limit for blockbusters. Maybe I'm priced out of the market now.

The current status quo with disc based games which are installed to the HDD, where they need to be in the disc tray does irritate the hell out of me on a regular basis. Not paying more than £20-£25 for something I can't sell on though. That's my current upper limit for blockbusters. Maybe I'm priced out of the market now.

As far as I'm concerned having to walk a couple of feet to put a disc in a tray is a tiny price to pay to keep your right to re-sell.

I do love it when great big out of touch corporations fuck up. It's much more interesting than talking about GPU shader operations and teraflops, whatever the hell that thing I just said means.

The elephant in the room is the nightmare scenario that Microsoft and Sony may have both got into bed with the devil here. EA conveniently dropping online passes for all platforms and support for the Wii U speaks volumes (although selling 6 copies of FIFA may have caused that one).

Don't you fucking dare, Sony...

I'd be interested in the one box thing if it genuinely could integrate all of my inputs instead of just integrating live TV badly. Here's hoping for an add on that can take a load of HDMI inputs.

With an octopus-like collection of IR blasters climbing out of it over the front of your AV cabinet? No thanks. It'll look like the home entertainment version of The Thing is assimilating my living room, which is incidentally what Microsoft are hoping the Xbone will do.

As far as I'm concerned having to walk a couple of feet to put a disc in a tray is a tiny price to pay to keep your right to re-sell.

I'm afraid I don't care all that much about re-sale in principle (apple and amazon have had plenty of digital purchases from me, which do get shared amongst my wife and kids), but as it stands it completely changes the cost/benefit ratio for me to the point I'm not interested. My gaming is all relatively cheap digital downloads or second hand purchases from here.

The creepiest thing is that Microsoft will be constantly harvesting information about each person in a home who is playing games, watching TV or movies and for how long.

Is there any confirmation whether the kinect needs to be able to detect a person for the system to function fully or can you just place it faced against a blank wall?

MS, for all their flaws, take privacy issues very seriously. They won't be sending any personally identifiable information anywhere. They'll collect anonymous information, which will most likely have an opt-out.

I could live with online verification provided there is an 'offline' mode. Possibly.

Kinect has to be switch off-able. It's really important to recognise the difference between 'anonymised' and 'private'. Anonymised, in legal and data protection terms, simply means that if an unassociated individual or coporate we're to look at the data, they would not be able to identify you. The volume of data that can still be gathered on your habits, movements - fuck, even the words you use - is HUGE. It's like taking all those privacy concerns around Facebook (and if you're not concerned about that service then, well, you should be) and multiplying it by 100.

I'll put it a different way. I can go to Facebook as a rep for my employer and buy advertising (of varying types) that is targeted to appear in individuals areas based on age, geography, gender, interests, the school they went to, the friends they have, the photos they've uploaded and any amount of ther meta data that exists around them.

Now expand that to what they watched last night on TV, how many people occupy their room on average, the tone of their voice, the number of times they said fuck yesterday, whether or not they've had a wank in the past week and so many other things based on their /private/ activities within their home. That's massively invasive, disgusting and entirely on the cards - there is literally no other reason for MS to gather this data. They're not going to alert me to my irregular heartbeat, they're going to let fucking BUPA know so they can flog me private health care in advance (or refuse my outstanding application).

That anyone would volunteer to have that in their front room is amazing. To put it another way Smitty, just imagine what happens when the security services ask MS to report on certain Arabic keywords being used in the home.

Mental.

tin-foil-hat.jpg?3d6f98

MS, for all their flaws, take privacy issues very seriously. They won't be sending any personally identifiable information anywhere. They'll collect anonymous information, which will most likely have an opt-out.

M8 if you want to fight me I'll meet you. Where do you live?

Comedy gold!!! What a muppet. If that really is you in that vid you look like a right 'nana!

Hate to break it to ya but, they all already do that! Got to love all these fannies banging on about privacy. "I'm not standing for it! Its outrageous! I'm going to go on social media sites and tell total strangers about this, like they give 2 shits. Yeah, i'll use Social Media, those things i gave up my privacy for, where i divulge lots of personal info, invite total strangers into my life to wank over my holiday snaps and tell people what i had for breakfast or that i've just done a big shit. Maybe i'll use my mobile phone to do this? Yeah, yeah i will! I'll use that thing that allows me to be tracked 24hrs a day"! Fannies.

Comedy gold!!! What a muppet. If that really is you in that vid you look like a right 'nana!

Hate to break it to ya but, they all already do that! Got to love all these fannies banging on about privacy. "I'm not standing for it! Its outrageous! I'm going to go on social media sites and tell total strangers about this, like they give 2 shits. Yeah, i'll use Social Media, those things i gave up my privacy for, where i divulge lots of personal info, invite total strangers into my life to wank over my holiday snaps and tell people what i had for breakfast or that i've just done a big shit. Maybe i'll use my mobile phone to do this? Yeah, yeah i will! I'll use that thing that allows me to be tracked 24hrs a day"! Fannies.

It's health and safety political correctness gone MAD I tells ya!