IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

So here is a scenario i've been thinking about but cannot think how it will work

Xbox One, your HDD is full (because of mandatory installs) how can you delete a game but be allowed to re-install it later? Will this be possible?

I'd really like to think so but who knows.

So here is a scenario i've been thinking about but cannot think how it will work

Xbox One, your HDD is full (because of mandatory installs) how can you delete a game but be allowed to re-install it later? Will this be possible?

Of course it will, just like you can now.

The disk is just a convenient way of installing the game. Really you bought a download code for the online version, and you'll always have access to that.

The disk is just a convenient way of installing the game. Really you bought a download code for the online version, and you'll always have access to that.

I wish you'd been in the other thread, I was getting torn to shreds for saying the exact same thing. Everyone was "Bu-bu-but discs!"

Of course it will, just like you can now.

Good ! As i'd hate for it to deauthorise that game from your account because you delete it from your HDD.

Really the best way of looking at Xbox One is, there is no more buying retail games for it. The things you get don't work the way retail games do. They're just codes.

Exactly, it's an online-only system that also offers an alternative to downloading for those without the bandwidth. That's it. It's not as complicated or as alien as people are making out. The 'boxed copies' are basically the same as those iOS cards.

Bloody hell, that Mattrick video is something else.

They've also been saying the Bone is a future ready device to deflect criticism about the PS4 being DRM free - like not shoving DRM down your throat somehow precludes it from being "future ready."

We had someone arguing in another thread that they were "futureproofing" the Xbox, of course they couldn't actually articulate how it was any more futureproofed than it's (higher specced) competition.

Exactly, it's an online-only system that also offers an alternative to downloading for those without the bandwidth. That's it. It's not as complicated or as alien as people are making out. The 'boxed copies' are basically the same as those iOS cards.

A console which only has digital versions of games is pretty damn alien, though. MS need to sell it as such, too. And they won't.

Yeah exactly. The amount of confusion about this on here, a gaming forum where everyone's already been used Xbox Live, Steam and iOS for years and should have been their easiest audience, already shows they've cocked it up massively. At the moment people just aren't getting it.

Really it's more like the early days of Steam, when people would still occasionally buy boxed copies that unlocked on their Steam account, than anything else.

I honestly think we might see MS backtrack on this whole DRM thing before launch now that Sony have effectively played a blinder by simply not having any of it. What are the chances of the execs seeing how all of this is playing out and scrapping the mandatory online system and then launching a stand alone Xbox One for £250 without Kinnect to compete with the PS4.

Yeah exactly. The amount of confusion about this on here, a gaming forum where everyone's already been used Xbox Live, Steam and iOS for years and should have been their easiest audience, already shows they've cocked it up massively. At the moment people just aren't getting it.

I've got a PhD in computer science and ten years working as a software engineer in a complex ecommerce field and I still had to read Microsoft's various statements a dozen times before I felt I understood it (as far as we can; there are still gaps). I don't think I'm dumb, so I think the chances of a Game staffer explaining it to a layman in a minute flat are pretty slim.

Engadget have picked this up:

Xbox chief: we have a product for people who can't get online, it's called Xbox 360

2T5hgZf.jpg

:lol:

Full interview, for those who can stomach his smugness for a full 8 minutes:

At the end he says people used to say all they wanted their phones to do was make phone calls and now they're using their phones in richer ways due to their connectivity, once again glossing over the fact that the PS4 is not precluded from any of that and that my Nexus doesn't stop making phone calls if I don't have a data connection.

I think he's right that people won't generally have a problem with the 24 hour check in, internet is generally reliable on the whole but the first time you can't play a game because your connection is down (or their server) you'd explode, and rightly so! It's bloody daft.

The stance on used games and the price are far more worrying things for me.