IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

They aren't necessarily better, but for most publishers, they are the #1 and #2 markets to make their money, Japan maybe #2 globally, but for EA,et al, it might aswell be #99.

And it's because of their success in those 2 key markets that Microsoft beat Nintendo last gen globally, and are even with Sony this generation, despite being behind in most other markets.

Internationally, Japan and Europe outstrip the US and UK considerably in terms of revenues.

Quantity doesn't mean wide appeal though, Sony have punted out more home grown exclusives than Microsoft this generation, yet haven't managed to close the gap in the key US/UK markets, where Microsoft's fewer home grown exclusives do best. On the evidence so far, that ain't changing anytime soon.

The former head of Xbox, Robbie Bach, spelled it out way back when, they don't deem it necessary to change a winning formula obviously:

http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/features/robbiebach_videointerview_july05.asp

Yes but why, as gamers, should we care about that? I prefer the strategy that involves releasing more good games rather than fewer because that means I get to play more. It seems quite simple to me.

It could be that MS shot their bolt at E3, knowing they just had to show games, and now have nothing left in reserve. Sony on the other hand, who were arguably weaker in terms of E3 exclusive games spectacle, have always intimated that they have a lot more to show.

Still too early to discount the MS claim of $1 billion investment in Bone games development though. I'm sure they haven't shown a billion dollars worth of games yet.

How on God's not so green, fairly scorching earth were Sony weaker at E3 when the only things that MS showed that are even launching exclusively to Xbone during the launch window were Forza, Powerstar Golf, Dead Rising 3, Lococycle, Ryse, Killer Instinct, and Kinect Sports?

They aren't necessarily better, but for most publishers, they are the #1 and #2 markets to make their money, Japan maybe #2 globally, but for EA,et al, it might aswell be #99.

Sure about that? Every figure I've ever seen supports that page: that Asia's gaming market is huge, and Europe combined is larger than the US.

Internationally, Japan and Europe outstrip the US and UK considerably in terms of revenues.

For the companies whose games most of the people on this place and in the West in general play, Japan is a non-event, it certainly is for all the major US/European publishers where it represents very marginal business, just like how the Japanese publishers games struggle to be of much relevance to the majority of Western game buyers (with the usual caveat of Nintendo). Somebody collated the available public data into a table, 2012/2011 figures, US and Europe are about even, and the UK is still the biggest single games market in Europe, you may aswell mention how big China is as a games market, it's of marginal relevance to most Western publishers, the Asians take most of that pie:

2012:

UHBScRm.jpg

2011:

Gvs40Wj.png

How on God's not so green, fairly scorching earth were Sony weaker at E3 when the only things that MS showed that are even launching exclusively to Xbone during the launch window were Forza, Powerstar Golf, Dead Rising 3, Lococycle, Ryse, Killer Instinct, and Kinect Sports?

Remind me of the Sony exclusives, and not to be dismissive don't include indie titles - as I said, exclusive game spectacle. Killzone, Drive Club, Knack and the steam punky one. Can't remember anything else.

I started the MS conference not expecting much at all and finished with the impression that, yup they have got games. Nothing in particular I want to play, but definitely bright, shiny games. All the ones you listed that is plus Titanfall - is that not an MS exclusive? I said nothing about games releasing in the launch window.

Remind me of the Sony exclusives, and not to be dismissive don't include indie titles - as I said, exclusive game spectacle. Killzone, Drive Club, Knack and the steam punky one. Can't remember anything else.

I started the MS conference not expecting much at all and finished with the impression that, yup they have got games. Nothing in particular I want to play, but definitely bright, shiny games. All the ones you listed that is plus Titanfall - is that not an MS exclusive? I said nothing about games releasing in the launch window.

Killzone, Driveclub, Knack, Warframe, Infamous Second Son, The Order, The Witness, and War Thunder

I'm going by games that are exclusive to console and stuff like Titanfall is on the PC as well.

Killzone, Driveclub, Knack, Warframe, Infamous Second Son, The Order, The Witness, and War Thunder

I'm going by games that are exclusive to console and stuff like Titanfall is on the PC as well.

Good point, well made. I guess I'm communicating my perception of their respective conferences that while Sony won overall MS had a better showing of big budget games.

These figures show the US and UK combined at about 37% of the overall market. You think the other 63% doesn't matter?

To most Western game publishers? where do they sell the majority of their games, China, South Korea, Japan? Come on, I assume most people can look at the nuances of the situation a bit better than that, then again, people seem to have trouble with which generation I was referring to with the term last generation, as we are currently still in the current gen in most people's view, unless we are all playing on the Wii U so think X360/PS3 was last gen...

Asia is of minor importance to Western console-centric game publishers, they've certainly tried over the years to make a dent. Tim Sweeney of Epic spelled it out, consoles are irrelevant to South Korea/China and the majority of countries outside the developed Western markets and Japan (much like how people lament that Japanese publishers ignore PC, for exactly the same reason). We are discussing consoles here, so should look at the markets which matter to them, US/UK represent over half of the addressable market for EA/Take-Two/Activision/Ubisoft, et al's console output. How many people here play Chinese/South Korean games? less than play even Japanese made games I assume, considering the sorts of games and platforms the Chinese/South Koreans prefer to game on.

Indeed, Epic has already started to change in response to the new face of the industry. The Unreal Engine 4 has been built with a greater emphasis on flexibility and scalability than any other technology in the company's history.

"It means that now, increasingly, we can think about building one game and shipping it on every platform that's appropriate," he said, listing PC, console, tablet and the web as target platforms for Epic's future games.

"It means we can potentially reach a much larger audience, and it will be increasingly important worldwide. Consoles are specific to the Western markets - North America, Europe - but they really don't exist in Korea, China... I really think we can build one game that goes to all of those markets by supporting the appropriate platforms."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-11-epics-tim-sweeney-on-the-problem-with-photo-realism

The Witness and Warframe are on PC as well, just like planetside 2, dc universe online (which, having had a sub, is shit).

Wtf is war thunder?!

Oh, another PC MMO.

Are you trying to classify exclusives in different ways for some reason?

Console exclusives? Not being a PC gamer that's what it means for me. I try to remember to say as much when I do talk about exclusives, but when the conversation is Sony vs MS in a thread about Xbox One isn't that pretty much taken as read?

The witness is actually time limited to the ps4, you are right about warframe though so I'll take that one off

http://kotaku.com/5986093/how-the-witness-became-a-ps4-game-and-why-pcios-owners-can-remain-happy

"Our deal with Sony is a limited-time exclusivity that applies only to competing console platforms," Blow said. "Basically it is that you will see the game on the PlayStation 4 before you will see it on the Wii U or the next Microsoft console, if the game ever appears on either of those (whether it appears on those consoles eventually is purely up to whatever future arrangements might happen between us and Nintendo/Microsoft/Random Publishers/Whoever)."

He said that the Sony deal doesn't keep him from also launching the The Witness on PC or iOS at launch, but such matters are more contingent on whether his team can get it prepped for numerous platforms at once. "The ideal situation for us is to release everything simultaneously or close to simultaneously."

tumblr_md89lfSaH51rhx8vto1_400.gif

It was very noteable as well, that Destiny was up and running on the PS4 nicely.

Surely it'll be up and running just as nicely on the One?

Sorry to drag it back a page or two, but surely the point of Apple releasing an App Store for Apple TV would be to give developers the chance to come up with stuff to use on the TV that we don't have or haven't invented yet?

Sorry to drag it back a page or two, but surely the point of Apple releasing an App Store for Apple TV would be to give developers the chance to come up with stuff to use on the TV that we don't have or haven't invented yet?

We already have TV consoles. There's nothing unique about Apple TV apart from the lack of a game controller.

Apple will set up an AppStore if they think there's a viable business. As it stands, I think it would be a poor move for Apple and distract from their push toward touch screen handheld devices.

Microsoft (current gen) have a big lead in the UK/S, are second to Sony in the Eurozone, and are insignificant in Japan. To Microsoft, while the other 63% does matter, that 37% is the most important. As someone else (Dutch?) said earlier, success in those two markets makes it appear like success in the whole of Europe, due to press coverage, etc, even if that isn't actually the case.

The Japanese market was always going to be difficult for MS though. I don't know of any successful western console in Japan. Even the Atari VCS was a flop.

Why though? People used to trot out the excuse that the Japanese didn't like anything that wasn't from the homeland. Surely that's bollocks though? We never hear about Apple having issues there.