IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

Right, it's looking rather like CODDOG is 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbone.

Famousmortimer (the guy who leaked the driveclub delay, and loads of other stuff) popped up to say he was looking for a second source on some CODDOG news before breaking it to GAF. Then some other bloke piped up that it was 720P. Then the Neogaf mod PM'd them both to check validity, and then exited the thread sharpish without banning either of them (GAF bans people who spread fake rumours).

Then a short while later, CBOAT pops up to corroborate the rumour, and says that Titanfall is 720p too.

I'm not posting this here to gloat or troll (I would put it in the PS4 thread with a bunch of smileys if I wanted to do that) but because it's something that people thinking about getting both machines or trying to decide between COD and BF4 might want to keep an eye on.

You can follow the drama here. The whole thing stems from Activision showing the PS4 version of the game rather than the Bone version to IGN, which is a first and also a little odd given the co-marketing thing they have with Microsoft.

Yeah. Most of the stuff at GAF has seemed like a massive over-reaction, but it's still something that can't really be downplayed. I'm assuming that messing around with the ESRam and learning how to get the best out of it will take some time, and we'll see more 900p titles in the future. But still, to start the generation with 720p being the 'standard' formation whilst Sony are pimping 1080p isn't going to do MS any favours.

I just find it weird how we can have 7 full years of hardware development only for games to still run at 720p. I know the tools and SDKs aren't meant to be very good at the moment but surely the system is far more capable than the previous gen.

Didn't Infinity Ward claim both would be 1080p60 a few months ago? I'm sure I remember hearing something about that.

Yep:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

Does anywhere confirm that the IGN previews are at 60fps? Because their own story on it linked in the other thread just references the 1080p res.

Their video player doesn't do 60, but you can bet the COD guys would put the game out at 240p to maintain 60fps, if they had to.

Didn't Infinity Ward claim both would be 1080p60 a few months ago? I'm sure I remember hearing something about that.

It seems mental that the 360 version of COD games must have been near 720p and that the Bone can seemingly only do the same, despite being more powerful than the current consoles.

- just googled, first result said COD4 was 600p. I can't imagine we'll get much info until the game is on shelves if this is true.

Famousmortimer (the guy who leaked the driveclub delay, and loads of other stuff) popped up to say he was looking for a second source on some CODDOG news before breaking it to GAF. Then some other bloke piped up that it was 720P. Then the Neogaf mod PM'd them both to check validity, and then exited the thread sharpish without banning either of them (GAF bans people who spread fake rumours).

Then a short while later, CBOAT pops up to corroborate the rumour, and says that Titanfall is 720p too.

I'm not posting this here to gloat or troll (I would put it in the PS4 thread with a bunch of smileys if I wanted to do that) but because it's something that people thinking about getting both machines or trying to decide between COD and BF4 might want to keep an eye on.

You can follow the drama here. The whole thing stems from Activision showing the PS4 version of the game rather than the Bone version to IGN, which is a first and also a little odd given the co-marketing thing they have with Microsoft.

saw it on gaf at 2am, thread went from 6 pages to 40 in about an hour. i love it, i have no doubt the staunch rllmukers buying the xbone will be sticking to their 430 quid guns. everyone else without the sense of pride.....xbone runs cod 720p. history will have to be rewritten, everything else is a footnote

Just to be clear - I think the game looks like dogshit on both consoles.

Exactly, it screams technical incompetency more than anything, to me. Although it has reminded me of this post I made a month ago:

Just to clarify what absolute nonsense it would be to make any sort of assumption based on first-generation software, back in 2006 this ran at 1024x576 and had a framerate that frequently dipped below 20...

attachicon.gifTR3.jpg

...and earlier this year, this was running on the exact same hardware in native 720p, at a rock-solid 30fps and without a loading screen in sight.

attachicon.gifTR2.jpg

From the same developer, might I add.

saw it on gaf at 2am, thread went from 6 pages to 40 in about an hour. i love it, i have no doubt the staunch rllmukers buying the xbone will be sticking to their 430 quid guns. everyone else without the sense of pride.....xbone runs cod 720p. history will have to be rewritten, everything else is a footnote

I'll be playing at 1600p (well I would if I wanted to waste money on that rubbish)

WHERE IS YOUR COD NOW!?

Honestly Angel, you're just hurting everyone's feelings now. Please be nice to us, we're not being horrible to you. :(

what! loads of people are being awful to me. none of this is personal to me, its fun. i'd buy you a pint if i met you, its all larks.

If there is one thing that defines my sense of pride, its what resolution my videogames run at.

Like the time he got banned for the bone down clock and PoP stuff?

ibhZHBgzo7rDNw.png

Being serious for a bit, it's not good news but it's to be expected that multiplatform games will look better on PS4 and with the more complicated architecture of the Bone, it might be that this sort of gap exists throughout the generation - once developers have worked out how to use the Bone optimally, the PS4 developers will have done the same, it's possible that currently developers are even more on the back foot if the rumours of an under developed development environment and tools are to be believed. I don't really know what that means because I'm not a programmer but I see that bandied around and I think that's probably a reasonable assessment from my position as a layman.

It's the same situation as before, basically. If you want the exclusives a platform offers you've still got to buy that platform, whatever the Multiplatform games look like.

If you can't deal with that, Team Angel awaits. Enjoy Knack.

And with that we all signed contentedly and looked forward to the second window of the advent calendar to be ready.

And the down clocking stuff? It's fair to say you can't take everything he says as gospel.

CBOAT never talked about a down clock, that was Thuway and Bruce Lee Roy. CBOAT said they were having yield problems, whether he was right or not is anyone's guess at this point.

Feels weird to be doing GAF meta commentary on Rllmuk, but it's about the best source of news you can get these days, it just happens to be a forum with a lot of news, instead of a news site with a comments section. At least that's how I treat it. :)

Feels weird to be doing GAF meta commentary on Rllmuk, but it's about the best source of news you can get these days, it just happens to be a forum with a lot of news, instead of a news site with a comments section. At least that's how I treat it. :)

Once you start looking, you realise Rllmuk's discussion is 50% copy and paste from Neogaf, 40% bickering and 10% "other".

And the down clocking stuff? It's fair to say you can't take everything he says as gospel.

That wasn't him, he said yield issues, which we'll never know. Besides, all he's done in this case is pop up and corroborate a rumour posted by two other legit sources.

Legit as in he only says things that he's already heard from elsewhere? And gets lots wrong?

That's how rumours work. You hear them elsewhere and them pass them along. He's just evidently a bit higher up the rumour chain than most of us.