IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

Judging by the GB stream, between Forza and the system itself the UI for creating multiplayer games and adding people from your party is totally terrible. How did they mess up what worked brilliantly on 360?

Can't watch it at the moment, how have they changed it, I never had any problems with the way it worked on360.

Played a few games tonight.

To be honest, i wasn't that impressed. Sure, the graphics looked nice but not anything amazing. Forza looked nice, but at times i didn't think anything too amazing. Probably the better looking of the games i tried though.

Dead Rising 3 looked actually like an upscaled xbox 360 game - didn't really enjoy playing it. COD wasn't much better (only played multiplayer). I did however like Killer instinct - looked graphically very nice and fun to play. Shame it didn't seem to do any match making though.

I'm sure the games/graphics will get better though, launch titles never really show off the machine to it's fullest as we are all aware.

I think Battlefield feels proper next gen, if you've been playing the 360 version, the Bone version is a significant step up, I think it looks grrrreat, even at 720.

Didn't play it but my mate did and i was impressed with the graphics. I assumed it was 1080p as it looked a lot better than the 720p games. Is this not the case?

There was a small ripple in the games media when Battlefield Xb1 and Ps4 were found to not be running at the same resolution. PS4 is 900p.

Killer Instinct looks great at 720 too, IMO. I'd obviously prefer 1080p, lest anyone thinks I'm defending something unreasonably.

Apologies for neging your post BTW, I just wanted to cancel out Haribo reveling in your lack of enthusiasm for the console he isn't buying, wasn't attempting to stifle you.

That's reassuring

The head tracking is a fun novelty too.

I'll have to have another look, I was sure my TiVo only went to 720p/1080i. :)

Oh you mean the settings on the TiVo box itself? Oh you may be right then, I'm not sure. I was talking about the settings on the Xbox but then I also did quite a bit of tinkering with the TV calibration tool at the same time so that may be why it ended up looking better.

As a Forza veteran, I would say there is a definite step up, the draw distance on some of the tracks is immense

It's hard to describe, and I know some of you are much more technically focused than me and can throw out all sorts of objections and caveats, but this is a different experience in my opinion, not just a small incremental improvement. Some things are a bit strange or annoying to be sure, it takes a bit of getting used to and there is a lot more to discover, but a thumbs up from me so far.

Well looks like Fighter Within is truly abominable :D The incredibly racist Scottish character isn't even the worst thing about it.

Can't watch it at the moment, how have they changed it, I never had any problems with the way it worked on360.

It's very confusing, you can't seem to actually invite players from your party into your game easily. Parties are tied to whatever game the part 'owner' is playing, and it gets all weird and confusing if set to the wrong game. It's not nice and simple as before, anyway. Hard to describe, because it's such a incoherent mess.

Got in work at 2, nodded off and finally got round to setting it up at about half 5-ish.

First of all, hope all of you that have duff machines get it sorted soon. Never nice when that happens, hopefully it's not a big problem.

So I plug everything in, power on and it downloads the patch, which doesnt take long, then goes through the setup, which is fairly straighforward and quick to go through. I got Dead Rising 3, Forza, and Fifa with it. I havent even touched Dead Rising 3 or Fifa yet.

Forza was never a series I particularly got on with. Not sure why, the few times I tried it, it just never really clicked with me. Well, this one has converted me. Totally agree about the unskippable Clarkson bits (somehow, I actually quite like the James May ones though - Hammond can fuck off with Clarkson as well though. I say this as someone who likes Top Gear as well, I just dont want them babbling on when I go into a menu option and not being able to skip it). In fact, there are numerous times where they have tutorials, comments or just random stuff that I'd really like to be able to skip, but cant. This is the only drawback I've found so far. Other than that, it's been pretty lovely. The AI of the cars is light years ahead of any GT series (which is what I'm used to if I'm honest - played all of that series so far quite a bit), and does actually sometimes feel like you're driving against a player who makes mistakes, rather than a pace car following a robotic, pre set path. That said, the game doesnt look holyshitballsamazing, but then it's not really that kind of game I dont think. It hasnt really gone for the scenic course approach, except for a few. It looks very nice though, but I suspect that there will be better showcases for the machine graphically. Some of the car models are lovely though.

I downloaded Killer Instinct as well, saw that the "ultimate edition" came with the classic game (which I loved) and bought that. The dojo mode is amazing for teaching you the games systems, and the game itself is pretty fun so far. Only six characters though, the wording of the ultimate edition seemed to include any future characters as DLC, so hopefully there will be more soon (there'll be 2 more at least, which definitely are included).

Downloaded a few apps, including the youtube one, which seems pretty much like the WiiU one was at launch. Picture quality on it was pretty sweet though, so that was good, even if it's not easy to use as the standard web version.

As for the console itself, I've been pretty impressed so far. Mine is quiet as a mouse - easily one of, if not the, quietest disk based consoles I've owned. I can barely hear it when it's on. The pad is great too. Angels almost obsessing about loose sticks is entirely unwarranted, they feel (to me) better. The sticks themselves feel slightly taller, so there is more travel in them, but they feel nice and precise, and the deadzone on them is tiny, which is find because they go into the deadzone position a lot better than before. I'm not sure if I described what I wanted to say with that last bit very well, but I'm tired and I cant think how else to put it! The rumble is good, and while the trigger rumble isnt the revelation I'd heard some people say, it still works really well (at least in forza) and gives you feedback on whats going on with the car very effectively.

The UI is super slick though - all the worries before and scaremongering about problems with it (and I remember seeing biglime tweet about it saying "buyer beware" after someone apparently e mailed him about it, which was a load of bollocks) that were reported before may have given me low expections, but it just seems super quick switching between things. The voice commands work a load better than I thought they would (I actually work with voice recognition systems, so I know how hard they can be to do). The first thing I did was "xbox, enter code". Scanned the code with the kinect, and it was done. It's such a small thing, but I love that feature. Then I tried other commands. No issues. Even when I tried a dodgy scouse accent.

One thing I though was quite cool was when I was playing Killer Instinct classic, I was messing about with Orchid to see if I could still pull off her 40 odd hit Ultra. Managed it, and a little notification came up saying "clip saved". Pressed the home button, and it actually recorded me doing the ultra combo!! It also gave me the option of uploading it, which was neat (even if I dont know where to?). I noticed on the store, some games had clips people had uploaded, so probably there, I guess.

Ultimately the console itself is a lovely bit of kit, and I think it's had a lot of thought put into just the general usage of it. I'm certainly glad I got one, and I'll look forward to seeing some more games come out that will really push what it can do. I still intend to get a PS4 at least by Christmas though, so it will be interesting to see how using a PS4 compares to it.

Impressed you can still pull off Orchid's 40 hitter, did you manage to land the final laserken? Good impressions anyway.

Impressed you can still pull off Orchid's 40 hitter, did you manage to land the final laserken? Good impressions anyway.

Yeah, by completely fluked it though, didnt do the command properly the first time, second time just happened to be the perfect time. Took a few goes get up to 40 hits though, and I didnt get the max (which I think is 48) as you need to do a combo breaker before in the round to get 3 projectiles at the end. Least I think, it's been a while.

I can confirm that the sticks are lovely, they're lighter but incredibly precise. I genuinely feel like I have far more freedom and accuracy than before, whether it's subtle adjustments or a speedy-180 they're allowing for a greater degree of control.

Why they didn't a bundle a card with all the Kinect phrases on it in the packaging I'll never know. The UI is daunting as fuck at first, half the options I wanted were hidden behind what was formerly the Start button, nothing something I would ever have pressed at the menu before. It's all quite intuitive once you get used to it, but I found my first hour with the console quite frustrating.

Funnily enough Battlefield has been the strongest launch title so far, it runs like a dream. The framerate's rock solid and it's immediately noticeably crisper than the last-gen version, all whilst looking stunning to boot. A few crashes to the main menu in multiplayer, but the interface is so fast that I'm back in a new game within a minute. The Kinect features are swish enough, though irregular posture predictably sends them awry. Leaning around corners is genuinely useful when it behaves itself.

Dead Rising 3 is basically Case Zero writ large, the first five minutes are fairly underwhelming then it just fucking blows wide open and shows you what it's capable of. When you see what it's actually chucking about it's definitely technically impressive, if there's any framerate issues still there I've never noticed them. I started straight up on Nightmare mode (this is actually an entirely separate option to the 'story mode' on the main menu, with a separate save) and unlike most such 'fan service' options they genuinely seem to have completely integrated the classic format into the game, with a five day time limit and properly timed sub missions. I'd have to have a play of both modes to properly gauge the differences, but first impressions are that if you're a classic DR fan you'd do good to jump straight into this.

Couldn't get the Kinect Wave Race thing to work at all, kept saying the sensor was blocked when it wasn't. Pretty disappointing considering that our lounge isn't exactly small, will try again tomorrow.

In the meantime I'll just hope that Currys honour that £23 copy of Ryse, pretty much the perfect price for it.

My setup experience went much better than I was expecting. Only had a 507 MB update to download and it went fairly quickly. Accidentally turned the console off during the download when I was tidying up my TV unit. Thankfully, it resumed the download.

I have no intention of using HDMI IN or buying an Xbox Live Gold sub, so most of the OS is useless to me. Is your avatar supposed to show on the home screen? The Kinect voice stuff seems to do a better job with my thick Scottish accent than Siri or Brain Training ever did.

Only had a chance to play Killer Instinct so far. Seems alright. Can't wait to get stuck into Dead Rising 3 after work tonight.

Couldn't get the Kinect Wave Race thing to work at all, kept saying the sensor was blocked when it wasn't. Pretty disappointing considering that our lounge isn't exactly small, will try again tomorrow.

This happened to me after I moved the Kinect after the initial set up. I had to go through the Kinect set up in Settings again to solve it.

Is it just me, or is the new way how the xbox handles parties and how you invite folks to games just completely fucking backwards compared to the 360?

It took us nearly 30 mins to get need for speed to put us into a game together. Battlefield wasn't any better.