IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

Spent a couple of hours with Need For Speed Rivals this afternoon - enjoyable but very similar to Hot Pursuit in gameplay, feels like a minor upgrade. Some fairly good weather effects but otherwise I didn't get anything like the next gen feeling that I got with DR3, although the presentation is very slick and there's lots to do. Hardly anyone on my autolog either, I guess most people are playing Forza for their racing thrills.

I feel exactly the same. Mine will be going up on ebay tomorrow. It's the only launch title that's done nothing for me... The wii-u version of most wanted looks and plays better IMHO.....

Just a heads up for people on mobile devices. If you don't like the YouTube app on the bone, you can pair your phone or tablet to display youtube controlled through that via the Bone, which works fantastically. At least it does via iOs devices, which is what I've tried. It's so much better that way, which is a bit rubbish really - the apps interface shoud just be more like the mobile versions in the first place.

To do it, go to the search option (should be button y) and it should display a code. Go to youtube.com/pair on your mobile browser, enter the code, and let the witchcraft commence.

Also, I'm having problems with the kinect wave racer type game. It just keeps saying that I need to clear the floor to play.... But I'm in an almost empty room! Tried recalibrating the kinect through settings, and that looks fine, it can see all of me, but again, it says it can't see the floor... When in fact there's loads of clear floor in the shot. Not sure whether I should move the kinect higher.... Any ideas?

Also, I'm having problems with the kinect wave racer type game. It just keeps saying that I need to clear the floor to play.... But I'm in an almost empty room! Tried recalibrating the kinect through settings, and that looks fine, it can see all of me, but again, it says it can't see the floor... When in fact there's loads of clear floor in the shot. Not sure whether I should move the kinect higher.... Any ideas?

Maybe something interfering with the infrared? What's the Kinect sat on?

Of course it might just a bug with the game as it is essentially a pre-release demo.

In regards to Kinect, I had a similar problem with the Waverace type game. Basically I went to the Kinect calibrate, set it up by moving it so it could see the floor (green), then on the next bit where it asks you to move it again so the white circle moves to the green, I ignored that and it worked ok in the game.

Just a heads up for people on mobile devices. If you don't like the YouTube app on the bone, you can pair your phone or tablet to display youtube controlled through that via the Bone, which works fantastically. At least it does via iOs devices, which is what I've tried. It's so much better that way, which is a bit rubbish really - the apps interface shoud just be more like the mobile versions in the first place.

To do it, go to the search option (should be button y) and it should display a code. Go to youtube.com/pair on your mobile browser, enter the code, and let the witchcraft commence.

I paired mine with my iPad 4 and the Bone stubbornly refuses to play 3 of 7 videos in a playlist that used to happily run on my PS3. Just freezes on the opening frame of each video.

It's because he thinks it is broken so he is selling it to CEX which then leaves the next person to get it stuck with a broken console that they then have to get fixed. In the meantime they've also had to pay over the odds to buy it from CEX.

Mate, people get possed for making Maddy jokes on here, and this is over the line?!

In regards to Kinect, I had a similar problem with the Waverace type game. Basically I went to the Kinect calibrate, set it up by moving it so it could see the floor (green), then on the next bit where it asks you to move it again so the white circle moves to the green, I ignored that and it worked ok in the game.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm using a projector, so it's either below the screen on the centre speaker, or above the screen, but that's not ideal as the kinect is top-heavy.... I think I might need some kind of clamp.

Been playing Killer Instinct tonight and there's a ton of people who seem to be unknowingly talking, shouting and swearing as their voice is being picked up by Kinect rather then their mic and being fed right through my speakers. :lol:

It's weird, usually if you want someone to join you Party, you would have to invite them. On this it seems to dump people into a "Game Lobby" while you play them.

Also, anyone have any advice with regards to using HDMI splitters or extra long HDMI cables?

I can't be bothered to keep moving the xbone from one screen to the other in the house and I was looking into seeing if I could get a 20m/30m HDMI cable and feed that through the wall to the next room. The pads seem to work fine in the other room, but I read that I need to get a splitter as otherwise there will be lag due to the length of the cable? Is that right?

Any advise would be good.

Cheers!

If anyone's on the fence, Powerstar Golf is a pretty good Everybody's Golf knock-off (a good thing) with an added perk system. I've only played a couple of rounds in single player but there seems to be enough in there to easily justify the £16 outlay.

Does anyone know anything about the FXNOW app? It doesn't show up on the featured apps in the My Games and Apps section but I think I got to it when checking out the Challenges area. I've got it installed but nothing happens when I try to use it. I'm wondering if it's a US-only app that's on there as an oversight?

Same here. Just won't work. Tried out Xbox Fitness and it worked ok so I have to admit I'm at a loss as to what to do to get the jet ski thing to work.

Also, anyone have any advice with regards to using HDMI splitters or extra long HDMI cables?

I was looking into seeing if I could get a 20m/30m HDMI cable and feed that through the wall to the next room.

I've been told (by a good quality AV supplier for corporate events) that HDMI signal quality degrades pretty quickly and sharply once you go past 5m.

Sorry if this was posted already - a decent NeoGAF thread about the frankly rubbish image upscaler the One is using.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721277

In summary, the majority of non-1080p games are using a native upscaler that is crap: it overly sharpens images so as to look super-aliased, removes a lot of colour detail, etc.

MS have perhaps done this to try and give a high contrast mask to their system's image quality, and create an impression that the One is rendering more pixels than it actually is.

In reality it's a cheap, nasty-looking solution that reeks of pandering to the lowest common denominator.

My calibrated plasma display is not happy! I've tried adjusting various settings to compensate but no joy.

The effect is really noticeable in Killer Instinct and MS needs to fix this shit by way of a patch, pronto.

I got mine this morning.

I'm absolutely loving it. I've played a fair bit of Ryse, The combat is Batman-esque. In a good way. I had a period where I saw that the executions could become tedious, but then it introduced Focus and the fact that there are like a biliion gajillion executions and double-executions to unlock. And javelins and shit. And it's just a really nice world to be in. Just mad, riotous killing.

Your experience of Ryse is very different to mine.

I guess one mans Batman-esque is another mans A,A,A,X,Y,X,Y repeated for a dozen or so assailants every glade/clearing/open space for hours and hours. It's ludicrously simplistic, and hugely tiresome and makes Batman look like Bayonetta in comparison. The fatalities get old pretty quickly and are purely cosmetic in their execution, with no skill needed.

I could not recommended this to anyone as, even allowing for launch day/new console excitement, it's a fucking dead dog of a game.

I guess one mans Batman-esque is another mans A,A,A,X,Y,X,Y repeated for a dozen or so assailants every glade/clearing/open space for hours and hours. It's ludicrously simplistic, and hugely tiresome and makes Batman look like Bayonetta in comparison. The fatalities get old pretty quickly and are purely cosmetic in their execution, with no skill needed.

I could not recommended this to anyone as, even allowing for launch day/new console excitement, it's a fucking dead dog of a game.

What difficulty did you play on out of interest?

Sorry if this was posted already - a decent NeoGAF thread about the frankly rubbish image upscaler the One is using.

In summary, the majority of non-1080p games are using a native upscaler that is rubbish: it overly sharpens images so as to look super-aliased, removes a lot of colour detail, etc.

MS have perhaps done this to try and give a high contrast mask to their system's image quality, and create an impression that the One is rendering more pixels than it actually is.

In reality it's a cheap, nasty-looking solution that reeks of pandering to the lowest common denominator.

My calibrated plasma display is not happy! I've tried adjusting various settings to compensate but no joy.

The effect is really noticeable in Killer Instinct and MS needs to fix this shit by way of a patch, pronto.

Hopefully just an "early gen" thing, like the early 360 games looked like everything was wrapped in cling film and teared like a motherfucker.

Are you not utilising any of the XP upgrades when playing?

If all you're doing is sequential button pressing then you're not exploiting the combat system at all. The proper parry system requires strict timing too.

In summary, the majority of non-1080p games are using a native upscaler that is rubbish: it overly sharpens images so as to look super-aliased, removes a lot of colour detail, etc.

I was playing around with this very same issue in KI yesterday when I was offline.

I noticed the detail was quite a bit different when full screen vs minimized in the xbox menu screen. So what I tried first was 'xbox snap' and put it in a window and played around in Dojo and Survival for a while. Now and then I'd 'xbox unsnap' when in a game and see if the detail changed and it did. For some reason after a certain time period had gone by (normally on the next VS screen you'd see) the crimson red border immediately reverted back to dark via what looks like an oversaturation filter.

After I fannied around for a few hours leveling up various bits in game I wen't back to the Xbox home screen. I noticed my internet connection was back online again and went back into the game and it looked amazing and no crushed blacks.

My summary...

Either they we're aware of the issue and they've patched it, Or the console still has some weird DRM hangover and the 1.5 update has some parts of it that only initialise when you're online and in 'the cloud'.

I tried it again later in the night (was online) and I no longer get crushed blacks in KI and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Weird.