IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

I went round my mates yesterday and finally got some hands on time with the One. The pad is brilliant. The weighting is spot on, and the small changes like embedded battery, smaller sticks, raised guide button and the dpad all means it outperforms the 360 pad (previous best 3D gaming pad).

Now for the bad. The voice recognition is utterly broken. My mate said he had no issues with voice commands up until yesterday, but it took him two attempts to get 'xbox on' recognised. When I tried it it took 10 attempts and I don't have a broad Scottish accent. The instant switching between apps and games is broken. It refused to recognise voice commands from 3 different people.

So we decided to try some games. Killer Instinct was good, Fifa looked glorious but played a bit 'sluggish' compared to usual iterations. We decided to throw on BF4 as I've played it a lot on ultra settings on PC. After 2 crashes we finally got in and other than slightly washed out graphics (probably due to the brightness of my mates telly) it plays just like the PC version.

Overall I see zero reason other than the pad for this next generation of consoles. The graphics, always the jump before, look almost exactly the same as the previous gen. Slightly less jaggies, but your average games will be hard pushed to notice a difference.

I went round my mates yesterday and finally got some hands on time with the One. The pad is brilliant. The weighting is spot on, and the small changes like embedded battery, smaller sticks, raised guide button and the dpad all means it outperforms the 360 pad (previous best 3D gaming pad).

Now for the bad. The voice recognition is utterly broken. My mate said he had no issues with voice commands up until yesterday, but it took him two attempts to get 'xbox on' recognised. When I tried it it took 10 attempts and I don't have a broad Scottish accent. The instant switching between apps and games is broken. It refused to recognise voice commands from 3 different people.

So we decided to try some games. Killer Instinct was good, Fifa looked glorious but played a bit 'sluggish' compared to usual iterations. We decided to throw on BF4 as I've played it a lot on ultra settings on PC. After 2 crashes we finally got in and other than slightly washed out graphics (probably due to the brightness of my mates telly) it plays just like the PC version.

Overall I see zero reason other than the pad for this next generation of consoles. The graphics, always the jump before, look almost exactly the same as the previous gen. Slightly less jaggies, but your average games will be hard pushed to notice a difference.

No way does Ryse, Killzone etc look like current gen games. That's just not true.

And voice recognition works and is not "utterly broken".

Sure, there's a lot to improve and evolve but the amount of hyperbolic bollocks spouted on this forum* by people to seemingly justify their non or differing purchase is idiotic. *Not directed at Mentazm.

The people who still have those games lying around, are more likely than not to also still own the original console. If the 360 didn't sway them to part with it, why would the Bone? It would make no business sense at all.

I think I must've picked this up wrong - thought it was a B/C thing. I wrote that five minutes after rising, if that helps explain my brain drain.

Have you seen BF on the 360? I'd say it's night n day.

It's not "utterly broken". I've never had a problem with it. This morning I went downstairs and turned it on from the other end of the room. Then, from various points in the room, including facing the floor while tying my laces, went to Netflix and coninued watching Heroes. Then turned it off. At no point did I turn the controller on or have to shout or repeat myself.

And the instant switching has never been anything other than perfect for me. Very impressive.

If there's an issue with it handling voice with multiple/unrecognised/new people in the room (since your mate said it was fine up til then), then that's a bit rubbish but will get fixed. It's a bit shit for you that your first experience wasn't as sexy as other people's, but using that to claim that the whole thing is utterly broken is a bit extreme.

I'm absolutely loving it.

We decided to throw on BF4 as I've played it a lot on ultra settings on PC. After 2 crashes we finally got in and other than slightly washed out graphics (probably due to the brightness of my mates telly) it plays just like the PC version.

Wait, it 'just' plays like the PC version? AKA the technically 'definitive' version? What were you expecting?

Voice commands are supposedly tailored to each profile, which might be why three different people shouting out commands wasn't all that consistent. It's the most reliable speech recognition I've ever used anyway, much moreso than Siri albeit far more limited.

It's impressive have navigable Netflix is via voice alone, but I still can't figure out why you can't browse 'more episodes' of a TV show whilst you're actually watching something, unlike every single other version.

He was saying that when he has used voice before it's always been in a silent room so that might be fucking with it I guess. The kinect is surprisingly small. I thought it was the same size as the console for some reason.

We also had logged in with out own xbox profiles so it should have been fine. I guess conversations were going on too though.

The pad is a really nice evolution of the 360 controller. For the first 5 minutes of using it, it felt different and then 2 hours later I realised that I hadn't thought about it after the initial period. It just works for me.

Kinect seems to cope really well with my Glaswegian accent, especially once I got used to speaking to it normally instead of a stilted robotic voice.

Settings>Prefs>System&App>Uncheck the 'record gameplay with DVR' box.

I don't want to turn off the DVR because there's an XBOX RECORD THAT moment every few minutes on Battlefield and FIFA. I just want to turn off the automatic clip saving.

And voice recognition works and is not "utterly broken".

Sure, there's a lot to improve and evolve but the amount of hyperbolic bollocks spouted on this forum* by people to seemingly justify their non or differing purchase is idiotic. *Not directed at Mentazm.

I'm wondering if it is the "new people in room", there being some kind of machine learning going on - i.e. if you don't get frustrated after it accepts one of your commands, it tailors its approach to that (like for most relevant language processing systems). Did everyone register properly with Kinect?

that Kinect fighting game sounds hilarious

But no! Say hello to DJ Joao. One of two black characters in the game, he fights not only with a pair of headphones attached to his belt but while wearing a pair of earbuds, just in case anyone forgot for a moment that he is a DJ. I suspect he lives in fear of an opponent one day discovering he is listening to Mumford and Sons.

The other black character in the game can "communicate with voodoo spirits". Her biography reveals she lost her family in the 2010 Haiti earthquake. No, not too soon, perfectly appropriate, well done.

:lol:

A couple of things I noticed last night, the voice recognition didn't like it when I had the washing machine on behind me, not a major problem though, whilst making a sub on FIFA it mistook Walcott for Walker every time but that's probably due to my dodgy voice not being clear enough !

As much as I love the new pad I don't think it's going to be long before mine breaks, at different points whilst playing I can feel the two bits of plastic that make up the pad in my left hand shifting slightly and creaking. Again not a huge problem as I'll swap the pads over when my replacement comes (if it ever comes)

Finally, I've never actually been able to turn my console off via voice recognition, I've said "Xbox Off" 100 times and it's not once picked it up, is "Xbox Off" the correct command ? It has no problems with "Xbox On".

I don't want to sound like I'm down on the system. I've been an Xbox fan since the original machine but man, they've made some baffling choices when they mashed Xbox and Windows 8 together, to the point where it feels like some of the core functionality has been compromised, particularly in areas where the 360 excelled.

There's no guide anymore so they tout snapping as the future, but it's only after sitting there shouting "XBOX - SNAP ACHIEVEMENTS" at your screen for a minute that you realise that not every app is snappable. Instead, every time you want to see what you've just unlocked you'll have to switch from your game out to the completely separate achievements app, wait for it to update and load, then look at your two-line achievement description in its glorious, full screen 1080p glory. Surely that's EXACTLY the kind of thing you could use an at-a-glance on the side of your screen, over an incredibly narrow web page or postage stamp sized streaming video?

I really hope they've begun to refine this stuff internally already, although I fully expect some of it will never change. After all, the Vita still has that awful bubble UI after a couple of years.

Edit: It's "Xbox On" to turn it on, and "Xbox Turn Off, Yes" to turn it off. In another example of the amazing consistency of the UI, "Xbox Turn On" isn't recognised.

I was playing Need for Speed Rivals last night for the first time and the voice recognition stuff is so helpful and actually works. Instead of messing with the easydrive menu via the D-Pad and trying to control the car at 150mph with the analogue stick at the same time you can simply say 'GPS Repair' or 'GPS Hideout' and it'll automatically give you a route to the nearest spot.

Completely changes the fluidity of your game. Simple but very impressive.

The game is a hell of a lot of fun. Certainly feels like a next-gen iteration of Hot Pursuit.

Isn't it "Xbox turn off" or "Xbox switch off" ? There's a confirmation screen after that too.

Yeah, 'Xbox turn off'.

The voice stuff is still making me smile. You can navigate the whole UI so well with it and it's way faster than using the pad.

I really thought that it would just be a novelty that you tried once, but never used beyond the first couple of days, but it's just so much easier to navigate by voice. Doesn't stop me feeling a bit of a tit, but I'm sure I'll get over that. :)

Unrelated, I stumbled across my favourite weapon blueprint so far in DR3 last night. Spoilered, in case people prefer to find these things for themselves, but I had the biggest grin on my face for some time after finding this (PS - I'm sure you'll also love the schoolgirl socks/tennis shorts/leather jacket/sombrero combo that I'm rocking :)):

Blanka mask + Car Battery = Hours of Fun

Decider - Agreed. It's mental that they thought that was fine as the way to view achievements as they come in. I find everything else to be so fast and fluid, that it feels so incredibly tedious just to check a flipping achievement. They must be working on getting that snappable. They must be.

The one thing that gets to me about the new interface, bearing in mind I haven't had to try organise any party lobby type stuff yet, is music.

On 360, I really loved sticking on PES or Trials and streaming music from my networked hard drive. Now it seems you have to have Xbox Music snapped AND have synced your music to the cloud, instead of it just streaming from the drive. Am I missing something or is this the only way to stream music to the XB1? I could handle syncing all my music to the cloud and streaming from that, if it actually picked up all my music, but having to have it snapped is inexcusable.

Yea they need to sort something out, I used to always play online FPS to music when I was not in a squad, sounds like a right ball ache now.

Decider - Agreed. It's mental that they thought that was fine as the way to view achievements as they come in. I find everything else to be so fast and fluid, that it feels so incredibly tedious just to check a flipping achievement. They must be working on getting that snappable. They must be.

Does 'Xbox snap achievements' not work?

Just noticed there's a Zoo Tycoon demo on the store now. If you can't find it just say 'Xbox Bing' wait for the page to load 'game demos' there it is.

Does 'Xbox snap achievements' not work?

Just noticed there's a Zoo Tycoon demo on the store now. If you can't find it just say 'Xbox Bing' wait for the page to load 'game demos' there it is.

Superb, just read your post on my phone whilst watching Netflix on the Xbox One.

"Xbox, snap Netflix.

Bing

Zoo Tycoon

Zoo Tycoon Demo

Get it free

Confirm

Xbox, go to Netflix

Go to fullscreen

Stop listening"

This will never get old.

Superb, just read your post on my phone whilst watching Netflix on the Xbox One.

"Xbox, snap Netflix.

Bing

Zoo Tycoon

Zoo Tycoon Demo

Get it free

Confirm

Xbox, go to Netflix

Go to fullscreen

Stop listening"

This will never get old.

^ This.

Watching some MasterChef and just quickly did this. Seamless and quick. I'm sold on the Xbox One. I prefer the pad to the PS4's as well...