Is this the super slim PS3?

Quexex

I would get one if Demon Souls is on PSN and the unit itself is substantially smaller - like PStwo smaller.

You'll not be buying one then. It's not a reduction on that scale, and I'm not sure we'll ever see one either.

I hope it's a lot quieter than the current model. It started off great, but the noise really pisses me off when watching video content now. I would probably upgrade just for that improvement alone.

You'll not be buying one then. It's not a reduction on that scale, and I'm not sure we'll ever see one either.

I hope it's a lot quieter than the current model. It started off great, but the noise really pisses me off when watching video content now. I would probably upgrade just for that improvement alone.

Can't you boot a Slim in reverse fan mode to cough out the dust? I know that's something they added in the first revision of the fat (40GB).

As for the size have dimensions been published? From the pics it does look smaller although maybe only 30% off the current size of the slim. It certainly isn't the same as the difference between the PS2 and the Slim Ps2 which was amazing.

Is there any talk of a revised 360 any time soon?

A few rumours regarding an 'Xbox 361' that was in the leaked 5 year road plan from Microsoft but nothing definite. If this is Sony's plan to match the price of the cheaper 4GB 360, then you would expect they would counter with a price drop of their own. 360 RRP has been static for four years, I think, which is crazy compared to previous generations.

post-1280-0-40080600-1342341062_thumb.jp

Can't you boot a Slim in reverse fan mode to cough out the dust? I know that's something they added in the first revision of the fat (40GB).

As for the size have dimensions been published? From the pics it does look smaller although maybe only 30% off the current size of the slim. It certainly isn't the same as the difference between the PS2 and the Slim Ps2 which was amazing.

I've tried the fan trick and it didn't make a difference. I think my only hope is to open the PS3 up and use a can of compressed air to clean it out manually. I'm not confident in my ability to do that though. If it was a PC I'd be fine.

The dimensions I saw were on NeoGAF. Apparently taken from PDFs posted at the source of the leak. From what I remember, the height is the same, the width is slightly reduced, and there's a big reduction in depth.

But that's the thing - between TV, streaming and catch up, I can't see the point in discs. I can't access two of those things, but even I haven't bought or watched a disc on years.

Well the point if them for you is that you can watch movies you've no other way of watching.

The point of them for other people is that the quality is higher than streaming, but that gap is closing - also buying latest releases on digital, or even rental streaming, isn't that cheap.

I hate turning on my PS3 because whenever i do it results in 3 hours of PSN updates and game updates before i turn it off not even having played a game. I downloaded HOTD 4 the other week and despite 3 evenings downloading it, it still took another 40 minutes to install the game, of which you can't cancel or do in the background. Sony should sort out their OS before any size improvements.

Well first of all they are really two separate things, the hardware guys make the system smaller, the software guys handle the OS. It's not a case of prioritising, it's a problem of the entire design of the console.

The reason why updates can't be installed in the background is because the PS3 uses more or less a traditional approach of individual files within the file system. The 360 by comparison stores all of it's files inside larger files which are basically wrappers. Updates are stored as additional files rather than replacements. Something inside the system ties all the files together and points the system where it needs to go. The Ps3 on the other hand is overwriting some of the files, so naturally doing this in the background is a bit tricky. When you install a downloaded game it's basically extracting them to the filesystem.

This does have a flipside where ps3 games can get lots of free content included in the updates (as well as non free content thats given away for compatibility reasons, much like Capcom's DLC issues currently), but thats partly differing policy. Of course, like the 360 you can cancel updates at the expense of Live/PSN connections, but thats not much help if you want to play online.

The problem is that the way the system operates is so deeply embedded into the nature of the service that if it was technically possible they would have done it a long time ago, much like they have with other features. Now, PS+ offers a feature for having the system automatically start up at a set time and download all your updates as well as any installs and cloud saving. You could argue that should be made a free feature, but thats an entirely different discussion.

Sony have completely redone the system for Vita, so the next machine will certainly not have the issue the ps3 does with updates and such, but it's too late to change the ps3's approach. Vita's approach is perfect, you get informed about updates by an icon in the games homescreen but you choose when to install it, plus you get a change log. Expect a similar system for ps4. For now you'll have to live with it or use PS+