IGNORED

Is this the super slim PS3?

Quexex

I suspect the point is that 16GB of flash is a lot cheaper an inclusion than a mechanical HDD, and it'll suffice for the more casual user who'd only be buying the machine for CoD, FIFA, Wonderbook, Netflix, etc, not a heavy downloader. Ultimately there will be higher capacity models available or people can upgrade the storage space themselves, so I'm not seeing the issue.

As for install sizes, DE:HR is 3GB and Infamous 2 is 2GB. The largest install I know of is RAGE at 8GB, but I wouldn't bother with that game in the first place.

I think the issue is that any cost-saving end users see on the base cost could ultimately be erased by having to purchase a hard drive.

Install sizes for PS+ games are much bigger. Pretty sure Infamous 2 is 15gb or something.

I think the issue is that any cost-saving end users see on the base cost could ultimately be erased by having to purchase a hard drive.

Install sizes for PS+ games are much bigger. Pretty sure Infamous 2 is 15gb or something.

much like the 4GB Xbox 360 this will be sold to light users who buy the occasional retail game, and use it for Netflix etc. those customers aren't that interested in mass storage.

much like the 4GB Xbox 360 this will be sold to light users who buy the occasional retail game, and use it for Netflix etc. those customers aren't that interested in mass storage.

If it's marketed that way, sure. I don't think MS do a good job of that though. I imagine that there are plenty of people who've bought one not realising how quickly the space disappears. Or bought BF3 as their occasional retail title and realised they had to play without the HD textures ;)

PS3 games that require installation? All of them?

Try again.

I can't remember the last time I had to install a game on the PS3... or does it happen automatically? I put in dark souls for the first time, it loaded up trophy data and that was that...

Some (probably most now) games that use hd data will use the hard drive as cache and do it automatically.

Wow, talk about conflicting facts. So is Infamous 2GB, 10GB or 15GB? Is installation necessary, even if it's automatic? Or just cache data/saved games? If it doesn't install, how much slower are load times from disc?

Wow, talk about conflicting facts. So is Infamous 2GB, 10GB or 15GB? Is installation necessary, even if it's automatic? Or just cache data/saved games? If it doesn't install, how much slower are load times from disc?

There is no way in hell it is installing 10gb from disc. People are confusing disc installs and psn downloads. Infamous (1 or 2, I dunno) is a 15gb download I think.

Can I play ps3 games without an hdd?

No, as the firmware is kept on the storage device.

(Complete aside but the earliest models had built-in storage for that purpose, so it's possible you might be able to boot a game on a 'fat' machine without a HDD installed. I suspect the machine wouldn't boot properly without one installed, though.)

• 1 month later...