IGNORED

Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' - 2014

lordcookie

By the age of seven I had seen An American Werewolf In London and Q, The Winged Serpent. So far, I have not killed anyone in an ancient Incan ritual, touch wood, and only wake up naked in zoos on very rare occasions after full moons.

In all honesty, the only things I recall 'traumatising' me before the age of 10 were Alien and Salem's Lot. Holy shit, that gravedigger dude in the rocking chair, that was some nightmare fuel. In any event, I can't believe for a moment that this film could be worse than the original SW films in child-friendly terms. It's got a sweet, talking tree man!

Evil dead aged 8-9. Nightmares for months. Never killed anyone

My now 18 yr old son saw the thing aged 8 and guess what he still ain't killed anyone no matter how many weapons I give him. Or wild tramps/gypsies I set to run free in the garden.

I saw Predator about aged 8 or 9.

My mum watched it and taped it the night before and decided the second half was less violent (looking back I've no idea how she came to this conclusion, I assume because there was less skinning etc) and it was safe to watch as long as I was with her.

So she explained the plot of the first half, and that the woman had just escaped, and been caught by Hawkins - who was then killed and dragged off by the Predator. So we'd come in to watch the rest just as the group was regathering.

Unfortunately she forgot VHS tend to wind back a bit, so rather than opening on the group finding Anna, the screen came to life at the moment Hawkins is brutally killed and his twitching corpse dragged off.

I think I screamed :blush:

Still watched the rest though :ph34r:

Die Hard when I was about 8. Fair play to my Mum, she let me watch one of the best action films ever made as a starting point to 18 rated films. Can't remember being disturbed by it at all.

Dude I saw star wars in the cinema when I was 3. So to be fair anyone who wonders if their 8 yr old son should see Guardians maybe needs to question if their preparing their offspring for the shiteness that is our existence. It may be unpopular but the term mollycoddling comes to mind.

Probably less swearing in starwars though and it's more that than the violence that'd bother me, which if I think about it too much sounds ridiculous. I'm going to pop off back to the 50s before I make myself look silly. :)

Kids are funny - we protect them far more than we need to (we still haven't let our eldest, 7, watch Star Wars because of the death of his aunt and uncle sequence). Point in case - I thought the sequence in the Lego movie

when bad cop freezes his parents

was very dark, but the kids weren't fussed in the slightest by it. The eldest was sat there laughing at it just this afternoon.

Both cinemas big 8-screen affairs. They are expecting to sell out so only make the most expensive option available.

Vote with your wallet, then!

I'm fairly lucky in that a smaller cinema opened up near me a few years back - they show any movie for just £4 and they don't charge extra for 3D if you bring your own glasses. I've at least tripled my cinema visits since they opened (and cut down on my Lovefilm rentals as a result!). They've only got eight screens but they're showing this in 2D and 3D. The big chains have no excuse for their comparitively poor choice and prices, frankly.

I always find it is a trade off between the 3D showings having the best screens but me not really liking watching a film if 3D if I can avoid. For Guardians though I'm going for size of screen and hope the 3D isn't too bad.

I'm not averse to 3D as such. I am opposed to the deliberate restriction of 2D showings for financial gain. Part of me hopes that the film flops but then rationally I know that the cinema chains would lay the blame anywhere but their own anti-consumer policies.