IGNORED

Curiosity : Molyneux's New Experiment

Capwn

You can shove your zombie dogs, I've just had possibly the most panic inducing moment in my gaming life. I was racking up a sick combo, and had my technique down - basically clear the screen tapping away with both thumbs, quick swipe down, and repeat. However, I swiped down to reveal an already cleared screen. After a mild heart attack (!) I managed to swipe quickly in the opposite direction and to the side slightly, and smash another cube just in time to keep the combo going. There is quite a good little game of risk and reward there if you play it like that - or rather, there would be, if the fucking thing didn't reset my coin total, just as it was about to hit a million. Piece of shit game, think I'm fucking done with it.

I disgaree. I have shown this to a few people at work and basically no one here has a clue who the fuck Peter Molyneux is, and there was genuine interest in the concept.

but the only reason they know about it is because YOU know about Peter Molyneux. If this was genuinely produced by someone no one knew anything about, it would utterly die on its arse.

Reminds me of the Kill Everyone Project. A flash game where you had to virtually kill every living person on the planet by collectively clicking a button 6 billion times.

That had a chat room though.

And the button moved around the screen so you had to keep paying attention.

See that face in the above pic? I saw the very pixellated far-away view of that and wanted to zoom in to look at it more clearly, but when you zoom in it's not there. This is crippling the product right now.

That, and returning to 2000 coins most times I launch it.

Apart from it being not much else but a dressed up grafiti wall / bubble wrap game with the carrot on the end of the stick being some unknown prize, the problem is that stuff like this, along side social games that are intentionally broken enough to encourage people to to pay for IAP to make the game bearable, is that it sets a bad precedent.

Why? because it gets attention (which also equals potential ad revenue in the eyes of some) and people queing up to play for some potentially non existent prize.

"Social experiment" labels aside, it`s pretty much lowest common denominator stuff.. but the attention its getting will be enough for people to probably start making similar apps right about now, and then we have more garbage swamping the market.

Will this set a precedent for the future whereby the company with the biggest "prize", mystery or not, will get the most users regardless of the games utter inanity? Will it reach a point that to make a living from small apps you have to slap some kind of lottery on it?

"Be the first person to clear PHONE SHAKER 2, the sequel to the number one global hit, PHONE SHAKER and win DOUBLE the jackpot we offered in the original! just 45 million lateral motions of your phone will get you the cash! get shaking!"

Keep clicking and there might be more in that cube than you bargained for.

I think some people are fretting way too much over this. Of course a lot of people have downloaded it, it's a curio and there's no getting away from the fact it has Molyneux's name attached to it. But it's not like 'proper' games are under threat as a result, it's not even going to replace the likes of Zynga, let alone anything actually decent or original. Given how it was marketed, I couldn't even honestly call it cynical, it pretty much does what it says on the tin, when it's working at least. Which is where it does deserve to come under scrutiny, the backend is obviously struggling and as I posted before, it feels pretty sloppy, which given the simplicity, is inexcusable. It should feel tactile and satisfying to clear blocks, that's pretty fundamental, surely. But despite that, it is intriguing, I'm curious to see what's under each layer and ultimately what's inside, if for no other reason than to witness the nerd rage when it turns out it's nothing life changing. You don't even have to 'play' it, there's going to be plenty of coverage, discussion and bitching on all the usual places, which is probably (at least at the moment) more interesting than the game itself. I don't say that as a criticism either.

Oops, posted in the other thread , should have done so here:

Hmm, I can forgive lag and waiting as I'm sure the servers are getting rammed, but the game is glitchy on my Galaxy Nexus. Popping audio, in particular, is a bit poor. I do like the aesthetics though.

Oops, posted in the other thread , should have done so here:

Hmm, I can forgive lag and waiting as I'm sure the servers are getting rammed, but the game is glitchy on my Galaxy Nexus. Popping audio, in particular, is a bit poor. I do like the aesthetics though.

So you posted the exact same sentence?