Line of Duty (BBC)

10 mins into the first episode and this season is going to be a hard watch. 

I can't stand Kelly Macdonalds voice. It's grating. And also seems to make her acting worse. She's much better when doing an accent. 

Big fan of Ted standing outside police HQ hooting and hollering his intentions. Use your quiet voice, Ted!

Kelly Macdonald is shite in this.

Did anyone else find the mention of the real life cases of Saville and Daniel Morgan a bit jarring?

Kelly McDonald delivered a line to kate, "nice one kate" that sounded 100% sarcastic, so much so I thought I had misunderstood the plot.

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

We cheered at the "bent coppers" line. Never gets old.

Ditto.

though in the cold light of morning I’ve remembered the old slang meaning of the word bent

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Did anyone else find the mention of the real life cases of Saville and Daniel Morgan a bit jarring?

Kelly McDonald delivered a line to kate, "nice one kate" that sounded 100% sarcastic, so much so I thought I had misunderstood the plot.

Yeah it was immersion breaking as I started to think more about why are the BBC mentioning him rather than the plot.

So was when they did the raid and background noise had them repeatedly asking people for their computer passwords, unless that was just meant to show incompetence.

I'm hoping that

Spoiler

Kate and Kelly McDonald looking to be starting to have a relationship is a red herring. It seems way too forced so far.

On 23/03/2021 at 19:30, Ry said:

10 mins into the first episode and this season is going to be a hard watch. 

I can't stand Kelly Macdonalds voice. It's grating. And also seems to make her acting worse. She's much better when doing an accent. 

Does she have a really strong accent naturally? Scots famous people tend to play it down and so can sound dour, Andy Murray for example. Unless she was from Aberdeen or Glasgow areas I don't see Scots accents as that impenetrable. As is she does sound sarcastic/boring 

It's the way she over enunciates every single word. It's just annoying. 

It's a bit like a Glasgow Uni accent  (which you see Limmy ripping the piss out of a lot) 

I was sceptical at first but this has been pretty good so far. I liked Steve’s line about having moved on from the whole H thing, while Hastings is still apparently obsessed with it. Kelly Macdonald constantly looks as though she has broken wind but isn’t quite sure if it is just gas or if she’s actually shat herself.

Spoiler

The Steve Arnott painkiller addiction storyline has been a real slow-burner. It’s been going on for so long and I still can’t really see where it’s heading. There’s the possibility of him getting hooked on something more ‘street’ at some point I guess, and being compromised, but since Stephen Graham’s widow appears to be chummy with Hastings and has now seen Steve’s glovebox stash surely she’s going to mention something.

9 hours ago, Jammy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The Steve Arnott painkiller addiction storyline has been a real slow-burner. It’s been going on for so long and I still can’t really see where it’s heading. There’s the possibility of him getting hooked on something more ‘street’ at some point I guess, and being compromised, but since Stephen Graham’s widow appears to be chummy with Hastings and has now seen Steve’s glovebox stash surely she’s going to mention something.

Spoiler

Steve and her are gonna start "seeing" each other I reckon. It'd be awesome if Arnott ends up becoming the new Caddy after becoming an addict.

On 29/03/2021 at 21:26, Fierce Poodle said:

I was sceptical at first but this has been pretty good so far. I liked Steve’s line about having moved on from the whole H thing, while Hastings is still apparently obsessed with it. Kelly Macdonald constantly looks as though she has broken wind but isn’t quite sure if it is just gas or if she’s actually shat herself.

I find her kinda hot!

7 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

What does Kate know?

Spoiler

She recognised the uniformed policeman earlier in the episode, and was looking him up on the police database. He’s actually been in the show a lot over the years.

Spoiler

He was one of the cunts taking advantage of the guy the interviewed for killing the journo woman a couple if series ago wasn't he? And in the print shop too iirc.

2 minutes ago, McFly said:
  Hide contents

He was one of the cunts taking advantage of the guy the interviewed for killing the journo woman a couple if series ago wasn't he? And in the print shop too iirc.

Yup.

Spoiler

He’s part of the OCG and has been since the Tommy Hunter days. Unless I dreamt it, didn’t the episode include showing him killing Corbett in its opener?

Think the series first shows him on the housing estate, The Bog in season one. Buckells interviewed him, but he wasn’t charged so had no record by the time he started police training. He’s the new caddy, or will likely be the link that blows Davidson’s cover.

56 minutes ago, McFly said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

He was also the kid on the bike dropping off burner phones in series 1, and tried to cut Steve’s fingers off with a bolt cutter. Kate interrogated him.

I'm totally in the minority it seems in really liking Kelly McDonald in this. She's a DCI, ffs; of course she's going to be an unlikeable sod! 

I did think that Dunbar was playing Hastings a little more broadly than usual though; like he's playing up the memes now. The bit where him and Steve were taking outside the station was practically a parody of LoD.

31 minutes ago, Jammy said:
  Hide contents

He was also the kid on the bike dropping off burner phones in series 1, and tried to cut Steve’s fingers off with a bolt cutter. Kate interrogated him.

Same actor too.

2 hours ago, McFly said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Ahhh, thankyou. I was saying to my wife I thought they had used a ‘guy with learning difficulties as patsy’ storyline in an earlier series, but couldn’t quite remember the circumstances. Head in fridge, right ?

2 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

The bit where him and Steve were taking outside the station was practically a parody of LoD.

We're on series six or something now aren't we? Dunbar's just freewheeling at this point. I mean I love Vicky McClure's naturalistic performance but it's his scenes I look forward to.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Hide contents

Ahhh, thankyou. I was saying to my wife I thought they had used a ‘guy with learning difficulties as patsy’ storyline in an earlier series, but couldn’t quite remember the circumstances. Head in fridge, right ?

Spoiler

That's it, the business/solicitor woman (Jackie something) who was banging the DCI under investigation in S1.

I've not started watching this series yet, and I'm reluctant to get into it. The start of series 5 was fantastic, the set up a compelling premise, things were ticking along nicely. But as the series progressed the plot gymnastics, combined with the weight of call-backs to previous series, threatened to pull the whole thing apart. A lot of the discussion at the time centred around "who is H?", even the BBC's PR for the show leaned heavily on the conundrum to keep people watching.  Without giving too much away for those who haven't got that far yet, the ending, which was presumably written to get viewers super-pumped for more, had the complete opposite effect on me. I simply do not trust series 6 to not repeat the cycle and degrade into pointlessly-convoluted cobblers. 

Please convince me I'm wrong and that everything has been pulled up, tightened up, is more focused.