Pro Evolution Soccer 2013

Troublegum

I haven't been playing Master League for the past few years. I've basically been exclusively on Master League Online, and I don't foresee that changing dramatically with this one. But the whole buying boots dynamic seems extremely strange. I hope it doesn't carry over to MLO. Only 2 weeks to wait to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

This review has got me interested again...

http://www.computera...t-right-review/

That right trigger control sounds very interesting and it's ideas like that which can separate PES from FIFA again (although anything half decent will get pounced on by EA). I honestly think both games need to step away from the endless list of combos required to play the game to the full and bring back some joy to the simple things. Imagine a football game that Harry Redknapp could play... :lol:

A couple more reviews:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/45852/reviews/pro-evolution-soccer-2013-review/

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/review/pes-2013-ps3-review-yesteryear-favourites-triumphant-comeback/

Can't get those here, is there anything on the Master League mode in any of them and the reported bad changes?

This is all I'm interested in as well. None of the reviews mention it, but this is from the comments of one of them:

"There's a boxout in the print review (in PSM3) that details this. Basically: the training stuff is good. You can purchase items using XP gained from playing matches and have players equip these items. It could be some weights to improve the effectiveness of stamina training, for example. With the boots, you earn 'em for fulfilling certain criteria and again have players equip them. The boots have their own stats - speed, explosive power, shot accuracy etc - that will give your player a related stat boost. So you might want to have strikers wearing boots that improve shot accuracy, while you might want wingers to wear boots that improve speed."

Sounds lame to me, but it also sounds optional. As long as the CPU teams and players can't do it, then I'm happy as I'll just ignore it completely...

Sounds lame to me, but it also sounds optional. As long as the CPU teams and players can't do it, then I'm happy as I'll just ignore it completely...

I read somewhere that the CPU teams do it as well. Does strike me as something that needs to be optional - sports games are one of those genres where people really kill for authenticity. They can cope with a lack of licenses or a fictional master league as long as the on-pitch action remains relatively pure.

Review embargo was yesterday. As far as I have read it isn't a huge deal, with regards to the boots in ML. But its probably gonna be subjective.

All I want to know is if they've got rid of the "bug" online where if you wait long enough over a free kick the CPU will take it and invariably give you a good chance of scoring.

I read somewhere that the CPU teams do it as well. Does strike me as something that needs to be optional - sports games are one of those genres where people really kill for authenticity. They can cope with a lack of licenses or a fictional master league as long as the on-pitch action remains relatively pure.

Thanks. Makes me a bit Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'm going to take the plunge anyway, but this could tip the balance.

I'll wait till the PES Patch is out with all the proper kits and teams anyway, but that's likely to be a few weeks away till it's decent, and NBA 2K13 is out in 3 weeks or so and that will take precedence. This might end up missing it's window of opportunity for me...

Yeah so I've been playing this a lot, it's erm, not great.

May I ask if you think it's better or worse than last years?

Thanks. Makes me a bit Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'm going to take the plunge anyway, but this could tip the balance.

I'll wait till the PES Patch is out with all the proper kits and teams anyway, but that's likely to be a few weeks away till it's decent, and NBA 2K13 is out in 3 weeks or so and that will take precedence. This might end up missing it's window of opportunity for me...

May I ask if you think it's better or worse than last years?

so far... worse overall but better in some places. Posted this in the FIFA thread by accident:

--

Yep i was dissapointed too as i loved the demo.

One thing that clearly needs patching before it comes out is the collision detection. FAR too many times we i've had situations where players legs go through each others. Once i got frustrated with that happening to tried to hack down a player by sliding into the back of him... NOTHING HAPPENED. Legs ghosted through and the player kept on running.

The defending is really shit this time round. It seems completely ambiguous as to whether you get the ball back or not.

However the attacking is pretty amazing and the manual passing has improved attacking play a hell of a lot. I'm pulling off some great throughballs and dinged passes exactly how i want them to be pulled off.

It's not all bad but after loving the demo i'm dissapointed that the longer i play the more bugs i'm noticing.

--

Just played my first game of this on the PC version - smooth as butter on my ageing 8800GT!

Really enjoyed it - just put the speed up to +1 and its fantastic.

Feels a lot like the PES of old - which despite the wait for so long for its good to have it back, I just hope now they can go on and improve the bloody presentation!

The demo and control of the players seems much nicer and straightforward than FIFA to me.

The training section is great. Where as FIFA gets you to dribble round cones, strangely, this teaches you what you need to know - first touches etc.

I think saying the defending is poor is a surprise - considering the clusterfuck that was defending in FIFA 12 last year...unfortunately lapped up by the masses as "the best thing ever" and now massively changed for FIFA 13. If it wasn't broke why did they fix it so?

It seems that with the razzmatazz and marketing power FIFA will always turn people's heads.

One thing that does make a big difference is the shooting. In PES here it feels crisp, sharp, and with weight. FIFA still feels cloggy and cloggy at times.

I'm inching towards PES simply for the Master League. The FIFA career modes have had some strange decisions in them, often end up as massive exercises in frustrating at the poor representation of how transfers and teams work - and are hugely buggy meaning untold hours of play can be lost.

The master league still has charm. Start with a bunch of no hopers and turn them into world beaters.

It has that progression that FIFA really lacks. The NSS vibe that we know makes it more than the sum of its parts...

What on earth are you talking about. Going by the demo, defending in fifa 13 hasn't changed very much at all.

FFS Ryan, you don't invite a vampire into your home, you don't use a match to detect a gas leak, you don't engage with dinobot. Rules to live by.