Pro Evolution Soccer 2013

Troublegum

Just get better bro o/

That's like telling my local pub team that they could be the champions of Europe next season! Actually they probably could be, if they had Messi and Ronaldo playing for them, instead of Kung Fu Dave and Fat Kev. See what i'm getting at?

I don't get your rant FA. Yes you can get matched against the top players but I really don't think it can possibly be as often as you suggest. I'm in the mid 300s, by no means a great player, but I win games and have only been drawn against teams higher than 500 maybe 3 times.

Also my advice would be to make sure any time you renew contracts you at least get 20 game contracts. It costs you less in the long run and allows you time to build up money to buy better players. But yeah, its not easy for newcomers to the game and using the better players may seem like a cheat, but organised defending negates most of your arguments in my opinion.

Also on the note of headers, I dont find them that difficult really. Less prolific than 2012 but that's a good thing. Its more about getting yourself into good position in the box when the ball's coming in.

I've put a daft amount of time into this over the last few days, all i can say is i've been constantly put up against 600+ rated players, and have been forced to play 900+ rated players numerous times, back to back, each session. I've had a look around the net and it seems many people think the systems flawed. They're either being matched with underpowered teams, making the game far too easy, or matched with overpowered teams, making the game hugely frustrating. Its essentially the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

I applied decent tactics to building my squad. Searched out the best bargain players, before they were restricted to only being bought at set times of the day. Strengthened my central defence with tall, fast defenders. Made sure i had decent playmakers in central midfield. Pace down the wings. Decent striker. None of this really matters though when you're playing against teams with International level squads, that have 3 at the back, no midfield at all, and everybody else in attack! There's seemingly little you can do to counter this. I can defend out of my skin, but they just resort to shooting from miles out with Ronaldo or whoever, which usually ends in a barrage of wonder goals. Most of the time i'm having to play these teams with my reserves too. I can't afford 20 match contracts if i want to keep the team i've built up.

I think you might be on my friends list, maybe we can sort a game out at some point?

Just to be clear, i'm not saying the game's shit. Far from it, its possibly the best Football game i've ever played. I'm just pointing out that how MLO works is flawed.

Turns out there's a glitch in MLO, that allows you to sign players to a 50 match contract, essentially for free. I refuse to use it and ruin the game for myself. Explains why i've been coming up against so many teams full of unbeatable superstar players since day 1.

The embargo stuff is getting pretty daft too. I want to sign certain players, but i can only do so at set times of the day, by hammering away at the sign button for five minutes. This is now starting to apply to almost every player i want and all the top budget players that i spent time hunting down and want to replace, I now can't sell.

The Rival Ranking is ludicrous. It really is just a case of who can play the most games in a week, not how good you are at the game. Daft. Surely could have been handled so much better.

Also, finally managed to beat one top guy last night, with my reserves! He just spammed the high through ball to Ronaldo constantly, then eventually resorted to shooting from 40yds with him. He certainly had "Skillz" though, as at the same time as playing, he managed to send me a torrent of abusive messages. Not as good as my skills though, 'cause i managed to beat him while laughing at them!

Anyone know if it's possible to import all your customised teams/players etc from 2012 into 2013? Me and my brother have highly customised set-up we don't want to lose!

Terrifically unhelpful reply follows:

There is an option under the options menu (I think) to import data from a previous version. However it's not worked for me importing from 2010 to 2011 or 2011 to 2012 on PC.

Aspel is spot on. Being matched against teams full of world class players has made me stop playing MLO.

Frustrating as fuck, especially when you have 15 shots on target but their keeper is too powerful to get the ball past him.

What's REALLY frustrating is the fact that the vast majority of the so called "best players" i've come up against on this game, are totally and utterly shit at it. All they do is hammer away at the through ball for the entire match. Survive this onslaught and manage to take the lead................and they cheat by inducing lag and getting the match abandoned. They don't get punished at all for this, yet i do. I don't get a win, and i don't get the shed load of cash i'd recieve for beating a player rated 800-1000, when i'm only rated about 70. Which means i can't buy players, that are at the same level, as these total fucking morons are playing with. Prrrrrrricks!

For anyone playing this and getting pissed off at coming up against superteams, just make sure you've got "pass assistance" set to "similar". One of the reasons i was losing so much is that i didn't realise most people are playing with "full assistance" on, which is why i couldn't replicate the kind of long and through balls that they were pulling off. Can beat the superteams with my defaults now, when they don't DC in shame! Some people!

Are there really only Premiership teams in this? :(

So disappointed.

:/ What? There is the full Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch and Portuguese leagues Plus numerous other teams from around Europe. As well as the Brazilian league and Copa America. Not to mention the raft of international teams. I may have misunderstood your complaint though.

Last time I played pro evo, Boro were in the prem. :'(

Otherwise, quite enjoying this. It feels a lot more fun than FIFA. Far less clinical.

I think I ended up buying FIFA, playing it a bit, but never really enjoying it. Appreciating how good it was technically, but it was rare that I felt like I'd had a fun game. No doubt that's why after the first couple of weeks it just sits on the shelf. Hopefully this will be different!

Scored a header at last! Also Berbs scored some crazy flying heal flick for the AI team. Just looked a bit odd really. Still having fun but the more you play the more the cracks start to appear.

They really do. This can be the most fun but also the most frustrating football game ever at times.

My faith in humanity has been restored!

I was in the middle of a really close game last night, playing against an Italian bloke, when one of my players went down injured, lying in a crumpled heap in my own half. The guy i was playing could have just ran through the gaping hole in my defense and easily scored, most people probably would have, he didn't though. Instead he went out of his way to kick the ball into touch, to allow my player to get back up and let me sort him out! Having checked my player wasn't injured, i threw the ball back in, ran straight down the pitch and screamed the ball into the back of the net! GOAL! LIQUID FOOTBALL! Not really, i threw him the ball back.

One of the best moments i've ever had on a game. Thank you Italian bloke.

Scored a header at last! Also Berbs scored some crazy flying heal flick for the AI team. Just looked a bit odd really. Still having fun but the more you play the more the cracks start to appear.

I think the trick with headers, especially for scoring with one, is for the player to be moving when you make contact with the ball. Stats play a big part too, which i found quite frustrating at first when you're playing with the default team. Now i've put together a squad of my own choosing its amazing how different each player feels to control though. For example i bought Nene, (costing me a fortune in the process), to play CF/AMF but he just didn't feel right and i couldn't get him to fit in with how i like to play. So i replaced him with the far cheaper Park Ji-Sung, and straight away the difference was massive, i was skimming past people and knocking the ball about all over the place. I then bought Perrota, to play alongside him, as they both have a high teamwork stat, and all of a sudden he's linking up with Park, they're both making runs and i'm dominating mid-field in the process! Very rewarding.

But as you say, outside of the MLO cheats, through ball spammers, and being made to play far superior teams, there are certainly little cracks that have started to appear. The CPU auto-switching players at vital moments, resulting in conceding or not scoring a goal. Players slowing down when running onto passes for no real reason, with a similar outcome. Defenders just standing and watching the ball roll past them no matter what you're pressing on the pad, and then someone slamming the ball into the back of the net. All of this stuff gets incredibly frustrating, when its the only difference between winning and losing matches.

When you get a good game though, against a fair player, with end to end action, the tension building, and the tempo and dominance of the game constantly shifting, its pretty much unbeatable.

Those things you complain about towards the end there can all be fixed by adjusting your control settings. Edging towards fully manual doesn't stop the issues, but it enables you to do something about them yourself rather than watch the CPU fail you. Remember to super-cancel too!

Super-Cancel! Can't believe i forgot about that!

To be fair, the few complaints i've got, are only really down to playing MLO and coming up against loads of people using full pass assistance, even though i'm using setting 2. They can pretty much perfect through ball right down the pitch in a matter of seconds, especially with their team of superstars, which is insanely frustrating.

Yeah Super Cancel is RB+RT. And essential IMO. Its second nature to me now, the game tries to guide you in a way, to help you along but Super Cancel helps you get to balls quicker, move to intercept passes and even confuse the opposition. My favourite example, playing MLO and midfield play a pass up to the striker, who runs toward it. The defender tracks the striker, but using Super Cancel I pull off the defender and run towards goal, the defender is confused and the ball bypasses him, I pick the ball up on the other side and slot it in. I punched the air with that one!

Yeah Super Cancel is RB+RT. And essential IMO. Its second nature to me now, the game tries to guide you in a way, to help you along but Super Cancel helps you get to balls quicker, move to intercept passes and even confuse the opposition. My favourite example, playing MLO and midfield play a pass up to the striker, who runs toward it. The defender tracks the striker, but using Super Cancel I pull off the defender and run towards goal, the defender is confused and the ball bypasses him, I pick the ball up on the other side and slot it in. I punched the air with that one!

Skills!

I tried going fully manual the other night. Managed to get a game, didn't realise everything is slowed down considerably. Anyway, i played an inch perfect long cross into the box, i quickly dropped Di Natale off the defender, and he launched himself into the air and pulled off an insane looking overhead bicycle kick, smashing the ball into the top corner of the net. The bloke i was playing was that impressed he let the replay play out and sent me a congratulatory message! Love this game!

• 3 months later...