IGNORED

FIFA 13

smithstock

Finally got my first bloody goal last night and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, although it seesm opposition defenders just stick to whoever I have on the ball like glue and no matter which way I try to turn they almost always end up with the ball. But I'll get better.

As has been said before with the first touch update I think it's a good addition but unrealistic with top teams such as those in the demo. For exmaple I played a deep cross from Nasri to David Silva last night, which 9 times out of 10 a player of his ability would have controlled, but instead he controlled it so badly it went out for a goal kick. I'd expect this for players of much lower rating, but not from the best players in the world.

Which makes me wonder if there is a marked difference in the first touch of a player rated as highly as David Silva and someone like Tommy Miller at Fleetwood Town. If so I hate to think how bad their first touch is going to be.

It feels a lot more physical than Fifa 12, with a lot of battles in the middle of the park being quite scrappy and loose balls being pounced on by several players.

Overall I'm enjoying the new version and think it feels much more realistic, with interceptions, loose balls etc.

Which makes me wonder if there is a marked difference in the first touch of a player rated as highly as David Silva and someone like Tommy Miller at Fleetwood Town. If so I hate to think how bad their first touch is going to be.

LOL I'm trying pretty hard to forget Tommy MIller too but, amazingly, he's actually still in League 1. I imagine he'll have his own special first touch programming in this which will see his likeness blindly hooking the ball over his shoulder without looking 90% of the time.

I was wondering that myself Moosden! A season with the mighty Tranmere will be bad-touch-arama.

One thing relating to the 1st touch that I think EA have dropped the ball a bit is the natural way I've found to reduce the impact bad first touches have - is just to play first time passes all the time. These seem super accurate 99% of the time, which is pretty unrealistic. They really should increase the likelihood of passes being more wayward if played first time. This was an issue in FIFA 12 too imo with one-two's at kick off, etc, so surprised they don't appear to have changed it.

Tried the demo last night for the first time. Me and friend were playing FIFA12 while the demo downloaded and went straight into FIFA13 from there which helped highlight the changes which have been made. Firstly it's so quick compared to 12. Passing, running, shooting all feel much better and weightier. I love the first touch too, not only can you fuck it up it also means quality players can take it round the defenders with ease. The real fear that if you try control it with a defender you might lose control and gift the opposition with a chance. Plus, the shooting seems lots better, volleys and shots from distance especially.

The room for error really did improve the games we had against each other and enjoyed it much more than FIFA 12. It's made me really want it and I'll be looking out for it cheap in the coming weeks/months as for me, player against player at least it's improved vastly. I just can't afford it as it's already been expensive month!

Impressed.

Right, having not owned a FIFA game since FIFA 10, I fancy getting into it this year.

So where has everyone pre-ordered this from then? Are there any decent pre-order bonuses kicking about?

And for a someone who's not really hardcore into FIFA (for the moment at least) is it worth picking up the Ultimate Edition, or will the regular version suffice?

Any word on the Vita version? It seems its being released this weekend as well. Is it the same engine as the 360/PS3 versions? We going to have cross play online between that and the PS3?

If its not watered down at all I think I might actually prefer to get it for the Vita.

Some people have mentioned a vita demo in that thread I think but couldn't find on the UK store - I loved it on vita last year just for touch screen passing and back touch pad shooting so am planning to get xbox & vita versions again.

Any word on the Vita version? It seems its being released this weekend as well. Is it the same engine as the 360/PS3 versions? We going to have cross play online between that and the PS3?

If its not watered down at all I think I might actually prefer to get it for the Vita.

Very little on it and no idea if it will have ultimate team or not.

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=0

Amazon reviews aren't the greatest source I grant you but it seems little more than a roster update with a new menu. Some posters on Neogaf are saying the same thing. Shame.

Posted in the Football League forum but thought I'd put it here too:

Been slamming this 1v1, about 20 games played online now. As ever I'll need another 100 or so before I'll come close to making my mind up but here's some thoughts so far on the gameplay itself:

A couple of standout good things:

Penalty decisions. It seems to me like only sliding or unsuccessful standing tackles by the player you are controlling will give away penalties now - a huge improvement on 12's "What? Who? WHAT?" system.

First touch. Initially a bit jarring but after a while it makes a lot of sense. The direction you press as you receive the ball is more important than ever, receiving the ball can be thought of as a mini stick flick so you need to point towards space. Pressing LT while receiving is great for ensuring the ball is kept but slows the move down hugely so you don't want to use it too much. Pressing the run trigger on receipt is a massive deal and you will often see Gervinho touches. Resisting using the run trigger when not needed is bigger than ever. The other thing first touch has done is that it's made lower league games much less clinical. This is a brilliant thing as it means crunching tackles and desperate fights for control. The middle of the park is more fun than ever for less able sides.

Advantage rule. Lasts longer now, rather than the paltry two seconds or so you got in 12.

Quick free kicks from deep. Deep free kicks were a nightmare on previous FIFAs because as often as not you'll lose the ball, inviting a dangerous counter. Now most of the time players will kick the ball to the spot without the view switching and an easy pass can be selected from the normal view. A deep free kick should not have a high chance of losing posession with a short pass, and now it usually isn't. Offsides and bookings unfortunately don't have this great feature as a replay is shown.

And bad:

Defending over simplified? This is one I won't be able to judge for a long time, but the standard A button contain seems more powerful than before. It is hard for anyone to dribble past it without tricks. Seems to be about trying to tempt the full back into attempting a tackle before skipping past. It's hard to be able to tell what you are or aren't doing right when defending, for now I'm covering runs and hoping for the best, and it seems to work, at least for now. Team-mates not under control generally seem to do their jobs very well. Still never quite sure whether to pressure the ball or try and block the pass in midfield.

Too fast? It's breakneck, to the point where final third stuff can be a little bit too desperate and hopeful, instinct ahead of imagination. At the moment it seems like a 20-30% drop in speed would have given attacking teams more expression.

Scrappy goals? The first touch stuff was always going to make for more scrappy goals. I've not seen a huge amount (certainly not FIFA 10 levels) but they can be very annoying. More use of the clearance button could have saved me, or the left trigger when in my own half to keep the ball under control more. Maybe a bi-product of poorer sides, been mostly playing as 3* Derby.

Under-defended set pieces. My most annoying 13 moment yet - ref pulls the play back while I still have the ball. I play a long free kick, big header from opposition midfielder, 2 v 1 situation, goal against. I was fuuuuuming. Goal kicks still do this too, although not as much it seems. Lesson - aim goal kicks and free kicks to the wings.

More bad than good there but that's because - for me - it got most things right in FIFA 12. I think this is a better game but time will tell just how good. Annoying to see the goal kick thing still hasn't been addressed. I'm not finding the best teams as fun but maybe it's just because I'm not good enough at skills and get eaten up by good defences.

Penalty decisions. It seems to me like only sliding or unsuccessful standing tackles by the player you are controlling will give away penalties now - a huge improvement on 12's "What? Who? WHAT?" system.

Is the flip side to that that you'll be denied a clear penalty because the tackler was AI controlled?