IGNORED

Olympic Gymnastics

Sng

Well the original intention behind the Olympics was to objectively measure who was the best at something, which you just can't do when you introduce a subjective element.

True enough. I guess I also see the Olympics as the event for everyone else. What other stage is there for a sport like gymnastics?

True enough. I guess I also see the Olympics as the event for everyone else. What other stage is there for a sport like gymnastics?

It's in things like the Commonwealth Games and they have a World Championships, so there are prestigious stages for them to shine on (as well as various other events throughout the world I guess, like athletics). Diving and the boxing also are based on subjective judging and so I'd say the same applies to them.

I actually don't mind it all, to be honest, just stating that any subjective element is a little at odds with the original intention behind the games.

Sorry, I'm being a little pedantic for no real purpose. I'll stop now!

Given they'll have started the competition hoping to make the final, a bronze is woo.

I think they were just looking to qualify for the final, I don't think they would have expected to get a medal. But on the day we were good and the US/Russia weren't as good. It really is an amazing achievement, it's just a shame that the teams (both GB and Ukraine) had to endure the appeal.

I actually don't mind it all, to be honest, just stating that any subjective element is a little at odds with the original intention behind the games.

Sorry, I'm being a little pedantic for no real purpose. I'll stop now!

fwiw I see your point. In the end it really becomes a case of successfully balancing tradition with the expanding world of sport and opportunity.

I made the point in the main thread, but this is why subjectively-judged sports shouldn't really be in the Olympics, if they were following the original ideal.

You do know that gymnastics has been included in every single summer Olympics that has been held, don't you?

What's all this nonsense about not following the original ideals? The ideals can't have lasted long if by the very first games they stopped following them.

You do know that gymnastics has been included in every single summer Olympics that has been held, don't you?

What's all this nonsense about not following the original ideals? The ideals can't have lasted long if by the very first games they stopped following them.

Yes, I do. I never said I was talking about the modern-era games.

Yeah, after posting, I thought "I bet he comes back with something about the ancient Olympics".

I guess I just make the assumption that when people talk about Olympics without qualification, then they are talking about the modern games. I'd assume most people would do so.

Gymnastics legend Olga Korbut was on Olympics Tonight (together with McEnroe and Johnson, was a real hoot!). She was asked what she thought of modern gymnasts compared to those in her day (she shone in 1972). In thickest (belo)russian accent she said "has gone down". Her argument was the sport has become too technical, the gymnasts didn't seem to be enjoying it anymore, and the grace had been lost. Mind, she was talking about the female gymnasts. I only watch gymnastics in the Olympics, so I could only agree with her - what are thoughts on this?

I did think the men's competition was far superior to the women's (wtih a few exceptions) - much more impressive and graceful, seemed like a completely different level of competition. Too much falling off and failed landings in the women's work..

If I look at something like Komaneci's perfect 10 on a beam compared to Maroney's beam (I found her performance a cut above the others' in the teams contest):

Komaneci, all-round Olympics 1976:

Maroney, trials Olympic 2012:

Is it easier than what they do today? I don't know (probably yes).

Is it more graceful? No.

Yeah, standing on the bars (Korbut flips?) has been outlawed - they do look amazing, and in my opinion enhance the difference between male and female gymnastics. Maybe it'll return in a few years, these things go in and out of fashion.

The bars are much lower, and closer together, back then.

Are the bars at the same height and distance for each competitor, or can they adjust as they like?

Watching that now I remember how they used to swing on the high bar so that their legs would then rest on the low bar, so they didn't really swing round and round the high bar like they do now. Amazing how much it has changed, really. I'd not really noticed, but going back and looking, it's completely different now.

It's now just pretty much the same as the men's high bar, but with a lower bar they use about twice in a routine.