Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

Awesome thing for them to do but with all that Facebook money it's let about getting it as a commercial product to make money off right away but more about developing the VR market as quickly as possible. We all love games but its not really meant for that on the whole.

Yeah not sure what though. Had nothing else running and got the same after a restart. PC's not exaclty filled with much either so can't find why it'd report that. Dodgy 3DMark software perhaps.

You got overclocks running?

Here's a demo of some new Foveated rendering tech. The idea behind it is that it tracks your pupils and renders only the small area of where you are looking in high resolution (and lowers the resolution in incremental steps outside of that).

What I don't quite get though is surely by the time the image is presented to your eyes all the hard engine work has been done? If it's merely reducing texture resolution on parts of the image then I'm not sure why this would be so significant. In fact, having to track your pupils and constantly adjust the resolution of where you're looking must take up some CPU cycles?

I'm not remotely techy (obviously) - but why is this hailed as an important step for VR? Does it really reduce the amount of computing power/graphics card power need to render images?

Here's a demo of some new Fovated rendering tech. The idea behind it is that it tracks your pupils and renders only the small area of where you are looking in high resolution (and lowers the resolution in incremental steps outside of that).

What I don't quite get though is surely by the time the image is presented to your eyes all the hard engine work has been done? If it's merely reducing texture resolution on parts of the image then I'm not sure why this would be so significant. In fact, having to track your pupils and constantly adjust the resolution of where you're looking must take up some CPU cycles?

I'm not remotely techy (obviously) - but why is this hailed as an important step for VR? Does it really reduce the amount of computing power/graphics card power need to render images?

It's dynamic resolution, and it's reducing the number of pixels you need to process: same argument, I suspect, as to why dynamic resolutions are used on consoles.

You'll need two things for a good VR experience - full resolution and a consistently very high framerate. So lowering settings might not necessarily help with the amount of grunt required without making your game look incredibly basic (if it can even go that basic that you can still get full res and fr) - not exactly a good ideal for a £350+ spend that it will likely be. If you fall below (especially far below) the current starting point of a GTX 970/good i5/i7 processor - hold off preordering and await real world power usage impressions.

Read the blurb from when Microsoft demoed it years ago, explains why it's useful. It dramatically reduces the workload as you only do the hardwork where the eyes are looking, instead of everywhere. Smart rendering instead of the typical brute-force approach. They managed a 5-6X performance boost on a normal monoscopic display compared to normal rendering techniques.

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=176610

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/176610/foveated_final15.pdf

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/176610/userstudy07.pdf

Ahh yes, Eve Valkyrie and Lucky's Tale... truly the Wii Sports of VR.

Yawn yawn yawn. I get it man, you don't like VR. Sorry about that.

I bloody love it though, even Lucky's Tale looks promising I think. And not even the 'game', it has a nice solid aesthetic and will be hella cool in super-silky VR. Presence is everything.