Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

Those impressions above.. :wub:

And that table is handy, where is it from? I'm a 27 which means most likely March! :D

Weird how the table indicates Lorfarius might get his in may, but I have no chance of that happening..

Also more impressions

Just my 2 cents. Thats all.

First off - Wow is this light. Seriously light. Could have worn it for hours no problem light. Second - I could not notice any screendoor effect. The weight and displays are drastically better than DK2. I could manage maybe 45min tops in my DK2 and 15 in DK1. I could wear CV1 all day. As for crescent bay - No clue. Never tried it.

Motion tracking was crisp. I would get to the point of puking in DK1 really fast and DK2 less so. CV1? Nada. They nailed it.

Display quality was phenomenal. Colors seemed to be as good or better than my Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B. I will be using my CV1 to watch movies. My plasma is going to be doing NFL detail in 2016.

(are you fucking hearing this? Someone saying it is better than a Panasonic 60 inch plasma at 600 dollars with integrated 3D audio - u wot m8? Insanely good if that is true)

Would I pay $600 for it? Yup. I would be ok with 800$ honestly. I own a couple of High end gaming monitors which cost more and do less. Sure the price made me wince but I bought one and had my wife order a second one for her. I guess I had my expectations calibrated poorly. Palmer owned up. Good enough for me.

This backlash about the price reminds me of the facebook hissy fit. Oculus had to get this right out of the gate. It looks like they did baring any major complications with component sourcing. I was promised affordable consumer VR and that's what I got. This thing is a showpiece. Friends come over and I will be shoving it at them. Until this CES I was very skeptical about Oculus being able to get it right out of the gate at any price. HTC and others have a VERY high bar to cross and getting over it at a cheaper price wont happen for a while. Oculus did everyone in the community a huge favor by setting this baseline. CV1 is the reference point now. Everything will be contrasted against it and consumers win in the long run. Palmer delivered big time. VR is here.

/rant

edit - accidentally a decimal and zero

Final Edit: no way I'm getting an Oculus Touch demo, according to the desk they're all spoken for.

EDIT: DETAILS AT THE SUPER DUPER EDIT BELOW

Honestly it makes me feel much better about spending $600 on the headset. I played demos of the included preorder games Lucky's Tale and Eve: Valkyrie. They were smooth, felt great to play, and the resolution was such a non issue that I stopped noticing it after the first 30 seconds of having the headset on (also there was plenty of text in Oculus Home which was very easy to read, better than my bro's GearVR for sure). The headset was freaking lightweight too! I couldn't even notice the weight once it was on.

I'm still at CES and on my phone so I'll update tonight with more details (or just make another post) when I get to a computer. The short of it is that if you bought the Rift, you should rest easy knowing that $600 is well spent (though I won't argue that Aussies and some euopeans got shafted, as I still wouldn't have spent $800 USD on this VR headset)

SUPER DUPER EDIT: I tried both the Rift CV1 (no Touch) and the Vive.

Rift CV1: SDE: no problem. It wasn't nearly as bad a GearVR. There were still some Pentil artifacts (sometimes slightly visible pattern of bright dots in the image), but they were only noticeable on some text and sharp gradients (like in Oculus Home). In Eve: Valkyrie and Lucky's Tale, it wasn't noticeable, so I ended up just being swept up in the experiences. Tracking was perfect, 3D was near perfect (it wasn't quite calibrated to my specific face, but it was pretty close and you can adjust it, the demo time just doesn't allow for personal calibration). The Xbone controller felt fine, nothing to complain about honestly. The headset is very light, I didn't even notice the weight of it when I was whipping my head around in Valkyrie.

Lucky's Tale felt very very natural. I could judge my jump distances perfectly, and the slowly moving camera felt fine. They hid things in the periphery and over the shoulder which encouraged looking around. I can totally see platformers being massively benefitted by VR. This isn't even just 3DS's 3D levels of better platforming, it just works. I can't wait to play through the whole game when I get my Rift!

Eve: Valkyrie really felt like a tech demo, but certainly a demo with promise (FYI it's basically the same as the pre-alpha footage). It was fun. Flicking my head around to look at and find other ships was great (no neck/head strain, seriously the headset is light, definitely doesn't feel like the DK1, and even feels better than Crescent Bay). I did feel a little limited by 3 axes of ship movement (plus a boost button), as I'm use to a full 5 or 6 in Elite, but I see this the game working very very well for multiplayer. If I didn't get it with the preorder I would probably end up buying it, but I want to see the full game before completely judging it.

Honestly, I have nothing bad to say about the Rift. Would I have liked the $600 price tag to include Touch? Sure. Would I have liked it to hit my expected $550 price tag? Yes. But $600 is good enough for the headset IMO. It works, and it works damn well.

Vive Pre: I'm conflicted. I feel like my demo specifically was less than par for a multitude of reasons, but I'll start with the positives. Once I point out negatives, take them with a grain of salt unless other people who have tried both the Vive and CV1 report the same issues.

When the Vive works properly, it works well. Their Controller tracking works very precisely (just like the Vive and Rift headsets). Aiming down the sights of a gun felt natural. The touchpads functioned (though they weren't used too much in the demos for anything but swiping). Room scale VR is nice, but so is sitting down with a controller in hand playing a slightly more familiar game with a gamepad and head tracking. I see both applications taking off. The Chaperone system seemed OK but really nothing special, basically just a wireframe box that shows up when you get close to the edge of your preprogrammed space (Oculus could do something like this in their SDK if they wanted, it was really really really simple).

The ocean scene was nice. The blue whale that came looked pretty sweet. Aside from that, the textures in the scene were mostly pretty meh.

The zombie shooter (did everyone else try this or was my demoer being nice?) was actually pretty cool, though the controls for ammo and gun switching felt a little unnatural. It felt awkward like pulling a game controller trigger, not like grabbing and dropping something.

Tiltbrush was fun. Nothing to really complain about, aside from a bug on one of my controllers. I could honestly see artists picking this up. That video of the Disney artist painting Ariel in 3D was no joke.

Now for neutral and negative comments about the Vive: The resolution seems kinda around the same, or maybe slightly worse (I know, same res screens, but optics do a lot) than the Rift CV1. However, the kit was blurry. I had my demoer (actually, both of them, since the first one had technical issues) clean it but it didn't really help. The lenses looked sparkly clean but it was blurry when I put it on.. Maybe my head is too small or too big for their one-size-fits-all stuff, but seriously, it was pretty bad in the center (I tried adjusting the position of the Vive on my face, the tightness of the straps, it didn't help). Surely these problems will be fixed by a consumer release, but the blur was certainly problematic. After I was done and noted the blur, my demoer tried it on and noted the same problems, saying it was weird as hell (I assume he's tried it before). Probably just a problem with that unit or my head. I didn't see any pentile artifacts iirc, but those didn't bother me in the Rift anyways.

Second, a whole host of technical issues had me waiting another 15-20 minutes before I had a working demo. The first Vive I tried, the visuals were tilted. One reset and recalibration later and that was fixed, but now the motion controllers weren't connected or weren't tracking! Ew. Also it was blurry as I said above. So I waited some time for another demo room to open up. Luckily that one worked. It still had the blur of my first headset. The controllers again didn't work but a restart of the software fixed it once and for all.

Shooting my guns accurately was harder than it should have been due to the blur. One of the controllers had a bugged touchpad that would glitch the hell out if I lifted my finger off of it, which made the menu all jittery in tiltbrush. Keeping my finger on it fixed it, but it still shouldn't be happening.

Finally, the ergonomics of the Vive Pre were just not up to snuff. They're still using elastic bands, and the headset was heavier than the Rift. This allowed it to move around a little while on my face, even when the straps were relatively tight. Also due to the elastic, the padding didn't feel as "invisible" as on the Rift. I couldn't whip my head around without the headset moving, so I occasionally had to adjust it to get in the almost-sweet-spot again (which was awkward while holding the motion controllers). While I don't have any Oculus Touch experience to compare against yet, the controllers didn't feel quite as ergonomic as I was expecting, but they were good enough to where I would feel comfortable using them at least for a few hours without complaint. I'll compare tomorrow if I get Touch in my hands.

TL;DR, Rift CV1 gets an A+. The tracking seems perfect, the game demos were fun (and Lucky's Tale wasn't "oh cool demo" fun, it was "I want more of this" fun). I still need to see Touch, but I really like what I see so far. Given the technical issues I experienced and the ugly blur that I couldn't seem to get rid of, Vive Pre gets an A-. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but my experience with the Vive Pre didn't seem to be as great as everyone else's

Those impressions above.. :wub:

And that table is handy, where is it from? I'm a 27 which means most likely March! :D

Weird how the table indicates Lorfarius might get his in may, but I have no chance of that happening..

Also shows how mad the ordering was. I got the confirmation email at 4:05pm so was in there pretty quick.

So I didn't preorder yesterday after umming and ahhing and seeing the release date jump forward from March to May. Today it has hit June and I'm actually thinking the later the ship date goes for a don't pay until it ships preorder the better.

Advantages of a June or later ship date -

- See peoples impressions over a few months

- See how software tends to come out and pricing for it over a few months

- Oversee the intended launch of the Vive

- Be aware of any launch unit hardware issues and see if they have been resolved

- Potentially see what happens at E3 (likely if shipping dates slip to July - doubt it will get later now though)

All that time to consider clicking "cancel" if after all of the above if you're not convinced. I still think the hardware is very convincing - once you discount the 25 quid or so you can get for selling the bone pad new (the included adaptor costs 20 new as well so you can potentially get another 15 there) - you're looking at under £500 delivered for something with incredibly high end optics and from CES impressions the audio is incredible too - the guy below is saying the audio rivals high end headphones for the intended usage

From reddit

I think I'll preorder at some point tonight or over this weekend. It is pretty much risk free unless your ship date jumps forward drastically without you being told, but I doubt you'll order a June unit and get it in early April, you should still be able to see the launch go through

Yes, this persuaded me to preorder. I need a new PC first, so I'd like to give an opportunity to Nvidia and AMD to get their fingers out without me getting a Rift in March/April (which is why I didn't preorder yesterday...) June would be about right.

kinell. Between Uzi's amazing "preordering it makes sense, honest" patter and those demo impressions I'm wanting to do it now. 11928 benchmark and the OR tool likes my computer too, what's to stop me! I might try imagining reading Uzi's justification out to the wife, that'll probably put a hole in it when I picture her expression.

I've done that test 3 times since yesterday and I keep getting different results, last one was at 96% yet yesterday I could hardly meet the OR recommended specs. I'm using a GTX 980 with an i7 and 16GB so somethings not right with it. Tried several other programs and getting pretty decent ratings just not on 3DMark so :mellow:

The Rift Store CPU test is based on single core speeds and simply detects what CPU you have and its known stock speed/cache etc. My i5 2500k is overclocked to 4.3ghz and the tool says it isn't good enough because it is going by the stock speed and that it is a few years old. I wouldn't worry if your CPU is a post sandybridge i5/i7 and you're able to overclock it. 3D mark is a better indication of whether your PC can drive software and at 10k I wouldn't worry. Older motherboards might have an issue with the USB requirement as I found out some motherboards had several USB 3.0 slots but the controller on the motherboard could only power one fully lol

My order is 31, which is quite nice as I get to find out what it's like before I can cancel if it's not up to scratch.

I always found the people who got Dk1 and dk2 at launch had issues with software etc for the first few weeks anyway but I expect the consumer release will have to be ready to go.

Stock speed of my CPU is 3Ghz.

Sure, but I'm sure the tool knows which CPU's are great at stock speed (by stock I mean with the intel boost speed in mind) with single core performance (and therefore isn't stupid enough to think your CPU isn't good enough) but can't take into account which CPU's are a bit old and less efficient at their stock speeds like the i5/i7 sandybridge cpus but can overclock really well to compensate for that to no longer be an issue. 3D mark on the other hand can demonstrate a clear difference in performance for when a CPU is overclocked so it is better to go by the 9000+ performance indicator on there than the Rift tool checker

This is what the Oculus support page says exactly

* Please note that we focus on single-core performance CPUs, therefore not every i5 and i7 card will meet Rift's recommended system specifications.

I always found the people who got Dk1 and dk2 at launch had issues with software etc for the first few weeks anyway but I expect the consumer release will have to be ready to go.

But DK1 and 2 weren't meant for anyone but developers. All those people whinging at the time didn't seem to realise that.