Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

If I'm not mistaken the Vive And Rift CV1 that are due to release don't output 4K they are 1080p screens.  Oculus consider  970 and above recommended spec.  Not sure what the offical recommended for Vive is but it's supposed to be slightly higher like a 980 and above.

Imo first wave of dedicated VR software is probably not going to push graphical boundaries too far they have to maintain that magical presence framerate otherwise there is no point.  Retrofitted VR games may be the messy ones as they were never built with VR in mind.

Some interesting points made in /r/Oculus especially for those from Europe.  I gather that a lot of people in Europe were pissed at the Rift price - especially delivery - a fair few from Ireland were particularly vocal about it.

Two points raised since the Vive price reveal; HTC is believed to have a better hardware distribution network (might save on additional delivery costs) and given that the Vive is a complete package people wont be 'stung' with high delivery costs a second time when Touch is launched.

I gather that a site confirmed that the UK Vive price was £689  https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/46xfyf/uk_vive_price_is_689/?ref=search_posts  

I am in two minds now but will probably stick with Oculus - very much want to hear some estimated launch windows for Touch ... don't think I could last till Christmas this year. 

The new SteamVR performance tester is 4.7GB. OK then.

I ran it on my super old PC which was originally built in 2008. X58 / i7-920@4.0GHz / 16GB / SSD / GTX 970.

This test is with Hyper-threading off because I was testing something else at the time.

Clipboard01.thumb.png.497f75c62f1d72cff7

It shouldn't be hard for any reasonably modern system to pass this thing. During the test the CPU was running at the correct speed of 4.0Ghz. The temperature went up by maybe 10 degrees in total which suggests it's not calculation intensive at all. I would be interested in seeing the results from a 950 or a 960.

The neogaf thread about this is here.

Why would you want VR if you can't move about? To play endless roller coaster demos?

Sims all the way for me, but you can still move about in the rift, just not as much, and it can handle room scale tracking if you add another sensor I believe.

11 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Could have sworn i read it has a drive bay with 2 usb and HDMI socket for the front of your pc.. maybe i dreamt it.

Are you thinking of this?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/6gb-evga-gtx-980-ti-vr-edition-gaming-pcie-30-7010mhz-gddr5-gpu-1000mhz-boost-1076mhz-cores-2816-wit?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKEAiAo7C2BRDgqODGq5r38DsSJAAv7dTPtGB2OMavgOctwAPm9u8-wNs8wbvYaMI2IxlkkiJ3hRoC-NDw_wcB

Edited by Simbo
Forgot to add url!

On 22/02/2016 at 11:20 PM, Boozy The Clown said:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/12/jack-me-back-in/

Probably best not watch this unless you can afford a Vive.

Good God that looks good. Probably sticking with my Rift for now, due to not really being able to accommodate roomscale, and it actually suits my budgeting to get the touch controllers later down the line, However that does look like a lot of fun, like the kind of game where you will just be giggling after playing a session.