Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

Ah yuuuus!  I was kinda scared that Oculus would get left behind after seeing HTC recommended specs for Elite.. Hope my 970 is up to it!! 

I literally haven't played Elite in months and months... It's looking like it's changed a lot since I was there! OH MAN. 

This is what the link said

" All current Elite Dangerous: Horizons owners can download the Oculus version for free! This special version includes the base game, along with the full season of Elite Dangerous: Horizons bonus content"

Someone has made an Android client which emulates the Oculus Rift, called VRidge.

http://i.imgur.com/pbU7H8A.gif

I've mentioned my experiences of mucking around with a cheap Cardboard headset on here before. It's fun but very basic. I think this lot trying to market this as "affordable VR" is very dodgy.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone tried to capitalise on VR at the risk of poisoning the well.

10 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

^^dood - all my Frontier correspondence lands in the junk even though I've set it to non-junk.

Same here, it's most odd. Email was actually from Oculus this time.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Emails going out to Kickstarter backers about shipping! It's starting people.  The press embargos are lifted tomorrow at 2pm UK time so loads of news to hit.

Yes Yes Yes...I'm not a kickstarter backer but should be in the first launch batch and I'm now beyond excited.

The only thing I'm a little nervous about is my video card, which is a GTX780 overclocked that ideally I want to not change until the new batch of Nvidia cards come out, as that would then last me a few years. I did run the 3D Mark demo (can't remember it's name) where the recommended score was 9200 and once overclocked I came in at about 9400 so hoping that should do me until the new cards arrive in the summer. Although I don't want a gimped experience due to the card (but it's hard to justify shelling out on a new one at this stage with the next chipset around the corner).

Anyhoo, who here has one pre-ordered (and if so are you expecting a launch Rift?). I had the DK1 all that time ago, avoided the DK2 so hopefully the whole experience is going to be very fresh. I have a friend giving me a flightstick, so need to also pick up a cheapish wheel (I would love an expensive one but you know...one toy at a time).

It really feels like Christmas is coming early, only problem is my wife and 3 month old baby are out of the country for the next 10 days.....WHY OH WHY couldn't the launch have been March 14th instead of 28th..

VERY much looking forward to the embargo lifting tomorrow. Tick tock tick tock tick tock. Oh well, I will spend the next 10 days home alone continuing my quest to learn Unity so I can create my own VR experience...albeit a simple one, it's a goal I want to achieve this year,

Are we there yet? How about now?

are we there yet? Noooooo stll two weeks.....

9 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Emails going out to Kickstarter backers about shipping! It's starting people.  The press embargos are lifted tomorrow at 2pm UK time so loads of news to hit.

I only got an order confirmation email (for $0) but no shipping date or confirmation.

(I was an original Kickstarter backer)

4 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Now we know the PSVR price. Oculus have some mighty uncomfortable questions to answer about their pricing. As in why are you taking us all for a ride. 

They've got to recoup the two billion dollars they cost Facebook somehow.

24 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's pretty fun to compare the PSVR thread with the Oculus announcement on Page 94 of this one, how quickly people come around, especially when there's platform wars to sign up for, eh?

Not sure of your point here.  Some people were sceptical with the Oculus announcement because it's expensive, they were forcing bundling of a controller, it wasn't clear what software support there would be.  The technology since then has matured and software support is clearer.  PSVR was announced at a considerably lower price point, with a clear run of games.  Other people (note: not the same people) are excited by this.

What comparison are you trying to make?

There was a wave of general mocking in the thread when Microsoft showed Forza on a virtual screen, but people saying it was a great feature when Sony announced the same. There's moaning about the concept of VR exclusives by the same people who are now hyping up RIGS, etc.

37 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Now we know the PSVR price. Oculus have some mighty uncomfortable questions to answer about their pricing. As in why are you taking us all for a ride. 

Look at the price and quality of the kit. The OR and Vive are much better, high end devices the PSVR doesn't look as good.

Also embargo lifts at 2pm today!

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Thing is you need a pretty decent PC to run it, anything less and it'll just look shit. I wouldn't have wanted a poor quality headset for the sake of a few hundred quid.

By having such high hardware requirements, though, and setting the price so high, they are massively reducing their potential market.  Luckily we now all have a choice as to which level to go for.

The Samsung Oculus VR kit costs around £100 and is easily accessible to a big chunk of mobile uses, there's also Google Cardboard etc. You can get into VR quite cheapily and at the higher end. Hate to sound like a snob but there needs to be something that caters for top end, like all new tech the prices will fall. People holding off now will have the benefit of loads of software being available and if they are desperate without much cash can go for a cheaper option.

I know a few people will complain that you have to buy a mobile but those are on contracts so there's cheaper ways to pay add to that they are offering free VR kits with the new models I believe.

19 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

There was a wave of general mocking in the thread when Microsoft showed Forza on a virtual screen, but people saying it was a great feature when Sony announced the same. There's moaning about the concept of VR exclusives by the same people who are now hyping up RIGS, etc.

You pointed us to page 94, but I can't find a "wave of general mocking".  The below is all I can find regarding the virtual screens.  Has stuff been deleted since?

On 6/11/2015 at 6:21 PM, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah interesting that the official pad is the Bone pad and I've heard that those virtual cinema things are pretty cool. Will be good to stream the Xbox games to the headset rather than disconnect the console and playing on a smaller TV.

On 6/11/2015 at 10:06 PM, Alex W. said:

Not sure what the point of streaming non-VR games to Oculus is. That virtual TV will have way below HD Ready resolution, so why not just use your PC monitor?

Sensible partnership though and I like the VR controllers.

On 6/12/2015 at 6:45 AM, dr_manhattan^ said:

With regards to the 2D screening it's not as simple as just saying you'll only get the resolution of the rift's screen.

The effect of a screen's resolution deteriorates as you move away from it as I understand.

Here's a page which I think explains this:

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

So if I'm right I think you could get the same effect as being in the same room as a hdtv.

On 6/12/2015 at 7:44 AM, dood said:

Nah man, the giant screen things are awful on the current rift imo. The resolution is too low.

Would be useful if you could point me to the posts from current participants in the PSVR thread moaning about exclusivity in here as well.