Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

Oh my god. Superhot VR is one of the best experiences in my gaming life. The other Touch stuff has been great but this is simply a revelation. How fucking incredible - how ingenious to take the concept of Superhot and adapt it so perfectly to Touch and VR - no other game experience in the world can make you feel like Neo from the Matrix. Ducking, dodging bullets, punching a guy in the face right next to you, throwing a cup at a pistol weilding guy to the other side and catching the pistol in mid air before emptying the magazine at two guys passing a corner and throwing the empty pistol at the last guy after ducking down behind a counter to dodge his bullet. Fucking magical. 10/10. I don't need to even play the other Touch Gun based games to tell you this is the killer app. Fucking fantastic.

I'm quite jealous of all you guys with working internet connections. :(

I set mine up anyway though. I've got a fairly small space too so have the same "moderate" issue where the boundaries are often visible. Due to reasons I've got three monitors on my desk too set up in an arc, so I don't have the space to set up the sensors far enough apart while also being far enough back. I set them up as best I could in between the monitors though, and forced the setup onward. It winged at me, but I've had no tracking issues so far so whatever.

On to First Contact then, which is the only Touch enabled thing I've got installed and updated, and it's short but really charming. I'm already so impressed with the controlers, and the thought of playing VR games with the Xbox One pad seems absurd now. I'd completely forgotten about the touch sensitive stuff (well, duh!), So I was pretty amazed when I realised you could point, wave, give a thumbs up and all that. It all feels so natural too, and tactile when you're holding things!

I'm hoping my landline gets fixed tomorrow, or I might end up testing what I can get away with on my work 4G connection. :ph34r:

Okay kids, who wants a key for Superhot VR for Oculus Touch? PM me...

(They sent me a key for being a Kickstarter backer. I'll never have the space in my house for a VR setup so I'm happy to pass this on to someone else who will enjoy it.)

EDIT: Gone to footle.

Ah, hype train engage! :D

My order is still in the Netherlands, according to UPS.  I'll be joining you all tomorrow. But that's fine, working from home! ^_^  got one of my kids' nativity though, can't we all guess what I'm worried about? Nnnngghh

Super hot sounds ace, it looked brilliant from the trailer tbh.  Robot Rampage should deliver more of the same next year..  

Speaking of which, isnt Robot Rampage supposed to be 'what happened to bullet train'?  But they've released the old version of that too?  Is it free? 

1 hour ago, rsbrowndog said:

Okay kids, who wants a key for Superhot VR for Oculus Touch? PM me...

(They sent me a key for being a Kickstarter backer. I'll never have the space in my house for a VR setup so I'm happy to pass this on to someone else who will enjoy it.)

EDIT: Gone to footle.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Is there anyway to download the other free titles before I've connected my touch? I thought they'd just appear as free once I'd registered my code for the two games. I wanna get everything down before the thing turns up.

Sorry man, don't think so.  My additional free games appeared when I connected my second sensor - it went straight into Touch configuration mode then the Touch Tutorial First Contact.

You'll already have the tutorial / First Contact setup.  Remember that you'll also get RipCoil for free when you buy a game.  I recommend Superhot and/or Space Pirate Trainer.

My only gripe with Oculus Home is that it stops downloading when you are playing a game which is a bit of a pain so you'll need to watch for that.

Never mind, I just used Uzi's image from a coiuple of pages back to bookmark stuff for later :)

Did you guys who ordered from non-Oculus retail get codes for Unspoken/etc?  I'm keen to hear what people think of that one, I really enjoyed my demo of it!

Mind officially blown, even more so than those early first goes with the DK2.  Now I understand what the Vive folks have been going on about :D  I've only had time to quickly run the little robot intro demo thing...but holy shit.  This is what my 10 year old self dreamed about!

I would also like to add that I know they are an expensive bit of kit...but they feel it too.  Have the same sense of quality that the Elite Pad for XBOne does.

16 minutes ago, Capp said:

Mind officially blown, even more so than those early first goes with the DK2.  Now I understand what the Vive folks have been going on about :D  I've only had time to quickly run the little robot intro demo thing...but holy shit.  This is what my 10 year old self dreamed about!

I would also like to add that I know they are an expensive bit of kit...but they feel it too.  Have the same sense of quality that the Elite Pad for XBOne does.

I don't even think they are that expensive because of all the value add of the free software. We're talking what £100-130 worth of free software?

Yep, considering they come with a sensor and just how fantastic they feel (along with what is hopefully great build quality) I certainly feel like I've got value with all of the software that came with it....the only money I've spent so far on software was on Superhot (which also got me Ripcoil) and I have so much to try still.

Tonight I'm going ti move the second sensor to an opposite corner and try 2 sensor roomscale. I only have a small space so hoping 2 sensors may be enough, if not then will need to order another as a Christmas present and then I will be set (once I get my new SSD installed, as my drive is beyond full with all of the Touch stuff)

3 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Mine should be turning up today. Bit concerned as I have my PC setup in the box room which also has a double bed in it, so I'm REALLY tight on space.

Where does the second sensor need to be placed? Directly behind you?

Nah, front left/right corners is ideal for Rift stuff.  

I've cleared out my room as best I can and I have at most 1.75 x 1.5 m space right now, which from playing the superb SuperHot last night would suggest isn't enough if I want avoid punching walls. So today I'm dismantling the sofa bed and putting that... I dunno, somewhere else.