IGNORED

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

1 hour ago, Weavus said:

I was just about to ask the same thing. FYI you can get it a few pounds cheaper on Oculus Home here https://www.humblebundle.com/store/arizona-sunshine

One thing I have heard is that Oculus Home and Steam are not cross play which is a real bummer. So even if I do decide to buy it I don't know which platform I have more chance of finding someone to play multiplayer with.

Thanks for the heads up re the discount. I was previously all about Steam, given their return policy etc and already have a lot of VR content there. However, I find Steam VR just so unreliable for me. Pretty much never closes a game without crashing in some way being the biggest bug bear. Just how rock solid Home is, despite being much more limiting, is making it look more attractive for purchases all of a sudden. My gaming time is limited so it's highly annoying having to deal with PC issues after spending my working day dealing with clients PC and server issues. Anyone else have issues with SteamVR. Every time there is an update I get high hopes that it will prove more reliable for me, but so far it still crashes regularly and occasionally spectacularly :(

1 hour ago, Weavus said:

I was just about to ask the same thing. FYI you can get it a few pounds cheaper on Oculus Home here https://www.humblebundle.com/store/arizona-sunshine

One thing I have heard is that Oculus Home and Steam are not cross play which is a real bummer. So even if I do decide to buy it I don't know which platform I have more chance of finding someone to play multiplayer with.

Also, does anyone know if the Steam version and Oculus home version of Arizona Sunshine are essentially the same thing....?

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Has anyone tried Arizona Sunshine. Hearing some good things about it...but would like forum opinions if anyone has taken the plunge.

I bought it when it was pre-order offer.  All installed and ready to go but I am holding off ... I believe you really need full 360 setup to get the most out of it.  My third sensor is coming real soon so I'm going to hold off until I get all my cameras and have them mounted to the ceiling.

What I did hear about this was a hell of a positive review from Tested in this weeks podcast.  They said the two player co-op was amazing.  I definitely recommend tuning in to hear them talk about it, they really did sound positive about it.  I didn't appreciate like the co-op angle to it I think it would really add to the tension.

I think I am going to go for Arizona Sunshine - if you are a Humble Monthly sub you get another 10% off the list price and I want to buy it to support the devs who have to deal with moaning dickheads about partnering up with intel. 

I think this has been an ongoing theme with VR with people moaning about financial partnerships and exclusive deals. In an ideal world we wouldn't have them, but guess what - there is fuck all VR market and it will be almost impossible for most devs to even consider making VR games for a tiny market without some form of risk aversion strategy or incentive. Do you want no VR games and all of your internet reddit mob pleased then so be it?

Really good article about that from Polygon (lol) here

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/8/13891322/vr-funding-oculus-vive

2 hours ago, Weavus said:

Maybe everyone here could agree to get the oculus version from humble so we could all at least play together?

Viability of two sensor roomscale from reddit

1st user:

Hi guys, for 2 days I told my buddies in BigScreen and RL that the Touch controllers are better than the Vive wands but tracking with 2 cameras is worse than Vive Lighthouse tracking. All my experiments of placing the 2 Oculus sensors led to the same half baked tracking. I thought 2 sensors only work well for 180° experiences. Today I tried one more time and suddenly I have full 360° roomscale with 2 sensors. My playspace is medium sized (2.5 x 2.5 meters). This is how it works for me: Sensor in the front mounted to the wall, height slightly above my head (2 meters), and this is the most important part: angle facing downwards 45°. The camera in the back is in height of my eyes, angle 90° (straight line). I just played Job Simulator (the Steam VR version, because I owned it already) and Altspace. I didnt lose tracking even once. At the end of the experience I thought I was looking in the direction of my monitor, but when I took off the headset I noticed I was looking backwards. It's perfect. Third camera is on its way, but I couldn't be happier with 2 sensors at the moment.

2nd user pic:

http://imgur.com/Pl8i9aj

Seems getting them high enough and placed correctly is the key to ensure accurate tracking. 

I bought them too. I like them a lot but I'm not using them currently as I'm at the demo to anyone who comes over stage and there's no way I'd want everyone sticking them in their ears. Once the demo frenzy has worn off after xmas I'll swap them over as I prefer the immersion level of in ear buds over the standard headphones. 

52 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I think this has been an ongoing theme with VR with people moaning about financial partnerships and exclusive deals.

r/vive appears to be a bunch of whiney entitled arseholes (quite similar to r/oculus when the shipping wasn't working, but with less reason).

But then, I buy console games, so I'm quite used to the idea of exclusives being used to drive adoption; and couldn't give a flying tulip about a similar approach on PC if there's a workaround (which there is). I'm not even that bothered about "losing stuff I've previously paid for when I upgrade" because the only things I can see still being used then are the likes of Quill and Medium - not the videogames.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

I think I am going to go for Arizona Sunshine - if you are a Humble Monthly sub you get another 10% off the list price and I want to buy it to support the devs who have to deal with moaning dickheads about partnering up with intel. 

I think this has been an ongoing theme with VR with people moaning about financial partnerships and exclusive deals. In an ideal world we wouldn't have them, but guess what - there is fuck all VR market and it will be almost impossible for most devs to even consider making VR games for a tiny market without some form of risk aversion strategy or incentive. Do you want no VR games and all of your internet reddit mob pleased then so be it?

Really good article about that from Polygon (lol) here

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/8/13891322/vr-funding-oculus-vive

To be fair this wasn't your standard exclusivity deal.  They time restricted certain parts of the game to only work on very specific processors, and did not make it clear anywhere in the purchase process.  the speed with which they back peddled means are either super responsive to feedback or they knew they were being cheeky.

47 minutes ago, mr_rmg said:

To be fair this wasn't your standard exclusivity deal.  They time restricted certain parts of the game

That weren't mentioned at all in the sales pitch. If they'd made it DLC, there'd have been moans but nowhere near as much. Anyone checked to see if it holds 90fps on the i5?

I'm tempted to buy a third sensor now because all you guys have bought one and I've figured out a way to make some more space...hmmm. I might buy Arizona Sunshine and see how much the two sensor set up feels lacking. 

I've just ordered myself a third sensor. I've come this far after all, so why not?

I set up Steam VR for the lounge today, which brought on that purchase. Setting up the boundaries was really fiddly, not least because I had to hold the headset the whole time as well as a touch controller. The headset and sensors go to sleep if the headset's not moving for a few seconds, which I guess is different for the Vive. Even then, the "optimal" space I'd set up for Oculus Home was just barely big enough for Steam's minimum room scale area, and that's with the rectangle skewed at an angle facing away from my sensors. It just about fits though, but I quickly found that that third sensor is going to be pretty vital for 360 degree tracking. Getting a decent setup working with just the two sensors might be a bit tricky in this place.

Superhot VR continues to be amazing anyway. The idea of playing anything in VR with a regular pad just seems silly now.

OK, I took one for the team and purchased Arizona Sunshine. The sacrifices I make. I really shouldn't be spending more money without trying all the free stuff I have but I really like the look of it.  Will try it with 2 sensors while I await my third and see if its worth playing in the meantime.Does anyone know how you run the two sensor 360 setup. I take it you don't just move the sensor. Do you have to run through the whole set-up again?

53 minutes ago, footle said:

Anyway the r/vive arizona sunshine shitstorm is a miserable topic.

I Expect You To Die has my favourite opening credits this year; and what may be my favourite no-interaction VR experience.

How is 'I Expect You To Die'? What kind of game is it? Not that I need to spend even more money (!!!!) but I've routinely seen Superhot, Arizona Sunshine and I Expect You to Die mentioned as the best 3 paid bit of content on the store for launch. So of course anything that gets mentioned in the same breath, even when it's a totally different kind of game, piques my interest.

11 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

How is 'I Expect You To Die'? What kind of game is it? Not that I need to spend even more money (!!!!) but I've routinely seen Superhot, Arizona Sunshine and I Expect You to Die mentioned as the best 3 paid bit of content on the store for launch. So of course anything that gets mentioned in the same breath, even when it's a totally different kind of game, piques my interest.

It's an escape game. You are Bond. It captures the ridiculousness perfectly.

To change your sensor layout/add a new one you need to go to the Settings menu in the Oculus app on your computer. Click Devices on the left, click Configure Rift in the top right and then select Reset Sensor Tracking. 

Full guides for 2 and 3 sensor 360 degree setups can be found here https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/199906947113632/

Played Budget Cuts demo on Steam tonight. Amazing fun and well worth downloading and trying out. In the game I was peering through a missing tile in the ceiling of a room looking at a couple of robots when my wife walks in and finds me in the corner of the lounge looking deeply into the floor with my arse in the air. I could hear her sigh and can just imagine the look on her face. Room-scale VR rocks.

3 hours ago, Weavus said:

I bought them too. I like them a lot but I'm not using them currently as I'm at the demo to anyone who comes over stage and there's no way I'd want everyone sticking them in their ears. Once the demo frenzy has worn off after xmas I'll swap them over as I prefer the immersion level of in ear buds over the standard headphones. 

Yip, I'm in exactly the same boat. I haven't even taken them out of the box yet. 

Will only use them on days that everyone else had left the house.  

With the open headphones I have a better chance of hearing if someone had shouted/yelled etc.  My Kids aren't that young right enough 12&16 but still want to be on hand if needed.

15 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I got Arizona Sunshine today too, I like it, but the two sensors on one side of the room showed it's limitations. I'm going to try different placements over the weekend because I'm sure two should work fine if placed right.

I reckon my space is smallish enough where 2 opposite sensors would work fine for room scale in this area....but

pw6.jpg

It would mean EVERYTIME you want to play front facing games you would ideally want both the cameras back in the front position and having to set up the cameras again. Everytime you wanted 360 tracking you would have to run it back and run set up unless I am mistaken. I am not sure if it is worth the faff for the sake of £75 quid (I'm discounting a fiver as with 2 360 set up I would need to buy a USB extension cable which comes in the box with the third sensor). 

If I bought a third sensor, I could leave the two front facing ones where they are permanently and then just bring out the third one whenever I want 360 stuff. The only other solution is if the 2 opposite cameras is good enough for all experiences to permanently keep like that. I will not keep swapping them.

10 minutes ago, Simbo said:

I also recommend downloading this

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5gy2my/desk_scene_multisensor_update_check_your_cameras/

it shows the sensor range for all the cameras ... I use this to
optimise my coverage and tracking space. Just use the normal oculus
remote and click to show the volume bounds.  

Then again, with this I could maybe find a sweet spot for two cameras to work in harmony in a perm position - will experiment tomorrow

Oh man, I Expect You To Die is superb!! 

It's a bit like a Lucasarts adventure game mechanically, but obviously way more physical due to the controls.  I don't really want to say anything about it because SPOILERS (and it seems that there are 5 stages/puzzles in total, so it's a bit short, so best you go in blind). 

Having said that, if the quality continues and the challenge ramps a bit it'll be another GOTY contender, it's can be pretty tense and is generally immense fun.  I did the final 'bit' of the second stage on my first try by the skin of my teeth and it felt so badass.  

Little things like being able to smoke cigars just felt awesome! Getting the hang of the controls and floating things midair is brilliant. 

Amazing, amazing experience. 

52 minutes ago, dood said:

Oh man, I Expect You To Die is superb!! 

It's a bit like a Lucasarts adventure game mechanically, but obviously way more physical due to the controls.  I don't really want to say anything about it because SPOILERS (and it seems that there are 5 stages/puzzles in total, so it's a bit short, so best you go in blind). 

Having said that, if the quality continues and the challenge ramps a bit it'll be another GOTY contender, it's can be pretty tense and is generally immense fun.  I did the final 'bit' of the second stage on my first try by the skin of my teeth and it felt so badass.  

Little things like being able to smoke cigars just felt awesome! Getting the hang of the controls and floating things midair is brilliant. 

Amazing, amazing experience. 

Damn you!!! Damn you!!!! (sneaks on over to the Oculus store...and I haven't even tried Arizona Sunshine yet!!!)

9 hours ago, Uzi said:

If I bought a third sensor, I could leave the two front facing ones where they are permanently and then just bring out the third one whenever I want 360 stuff. 

You are still going to have to go through setup anytime you change between 2/3 sensors. Its really rubbish but hopefully they will bring out some kind of update which will allow you to save room configurations in the future.