Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

I've played through Oculus Touch tutorial, First contact, Toybox, VR Sport Challenge (ice hockey only) and Bullet Train via Revive.  All work flawlessly.  However couple of the controls to the Vive controller will need refinement which I'm believe the Revive dev is working on.  The pick up function gives me fist ache you have to literally tightly 'grip' the grip buttons on the Vive controller to activate it, but for me its uncomfortable after a while if done for long periods or repetitively. I'm hoping this can be changed to a toggle function which may be counter intuitive but provide less... hand strain :unsure:.  Pointing, making a fist and thumbs up is surprisingly natural as it can be in translation to the Vive controller.

Another issue is the Touch analogue stick and face buttons are translated to the Vive touch pad which can be fiddly as first until you get used to it.  For example controlling the remote control tank on Toybox would take some getting used to on Vive whereas on the touch controller I imagine its much easier, which is understandable.  All in all the games are perfectly playable so I'm pretty impressed with Revive.  I imagine when Valve release its 'open hand' controllers which look more geared towards hand presence, there will be more parity between Touch and the Vive. 

Played some more of Arizona Sunshine last night so have a couple of things to add. 2 sensor tracking certainly isn't perfect....I've had one or two instances (in about 2 hours of play) of it spazzing out in a major way. Most of the time it's pretty flawless though which makes it a great stop gap until the third sensor.

Also, and devs should take note of this....flashlight scenes in the dark are really fucking immersive when done right!!! (AS does it right) It's a natural fit for VR as it almost completely removes the fact that you're looking through goggles as your peripheral vision within the game is mostly black anyway. In the same way underwater games would also be brilliant if done well (theBlu certainly works but isn't a game) as the goggle feeling works as though you're wearing a scuba mask. 

Anyway, I'd love a whole game in the dark with a flashlight in VR. Could be the most amazing thing ever!

I now really want 'I Expect You to Die' but will try (and fail) to hold off until Christmas.

Has anyone moved their Oculus stuff from C drive to another drive. I'm pretty much out of room so need to install my addition 750GB SDD but just wondered how much faff it is to move from one drive to another before I embark upon it :)

That's by far the best launch game I've played but I'm so unhealthy it makes me feel like I'm having a heart attack after half an hours play :lol: It's sssooo intense!

Has The Climb jumped up in price? I've heard a lot of good things about it and was about to buy a copy when I noticed it was £39.99. Not sure but I thought it had been £30 for ages?

I just spent an hour or so in The Climb earlier today for the first time (did play a wee bit before with Xbox Controller).

It's really good.  Everything just "clicks" so quickly.  Arms do fatigue while playing though but then again I thought, that's me just holding the controllers ... imagine with my bodyweight ... so I pushed on through :)

There has been some additions to the game since I last placed - whole new mountain range; Iceland / ice climbing or something like that.

Not sure if this is the right section for this question.

I have recently picked up a samsung note 4 to see if I can finally make the move from ios to android.So far it's a nice experience.

I was wondering if getting the vr set for the note 4 would be a worthwhile purchase to experience basic vr.

Finished Super Hot. So good, but too short :( Like most VR stuff atm. It really needs a horde mode or something that you can come back for. 

I will replay it of course, but some sort of on going challenge would be nice.

I made a few other purchases.

Onward - I really want to play this but the dev is having issues, it wont currently work at all for me.

Arizona Sunshine - Seems like a proper game which is nice. I'm not a huge fan of the movement system but everything else is pretty nice. I love the door opening etc and the shooting is nice, except when the zombies get close I have real trouble then for some reason. 

Serious Sam VR - It looks great, but falls a bit flat for me. There is no movement , you stand in place, you have a selection of slightly too big guns to shoot every more frantic waves of enemies. My arms got tired, then I got bored. Shortlived fun - it would be great if it was say... £5 but it's not it's £30 :/ 

29 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Finished Super Hot. So good, but too short :( Like most VR stuff atm. It really needs a horde mode or something that you can come back for. 

I will replay it of course, but some sort of on going challenge would be nice.

I really hope it gets an update to give a few extra modes.

I did the hijack section, and a little bit after that. How close to the end am i?

I must admit i look forward to replaying this, maybe even attempt a speed run!

Yeah I'm totally going to try a no-deaths challenge run on superhot. 

You're quite close @Darhkwing, but the last set of levels are a total bastard, imo!  But great when you nail them :)

I think the length was ok, considering, must've taken me about 4-5 hours.   Agree it needs an endless / highscore / randomly generated mode.   I posted as much on reddit, and some guy said they have a roguelike-mode in the works.  But presume that's for the desktop / main version of the game.  Never know, though. 

I think Robo Recall will fill this urge though.  I can wait!

37 minutes ago, dood said:

You're quite close @Darhkwing, but the last set of levels are a total bastard, imo!  But great when you nail them :)

I think the length was ok, considering, must've taken me about 4-5 hours.   Agree it needs an endless / highscore / randomly generated mode.   I posted as much on reddit, and some guy said they have a roguelike-mode in the works.  But presume that's for the desktop / main version of the game.  Never know, though.

Randomly generated might not work (the game is very carefully structured/designed - that's part of the appeal - and you need to be able to repeat).

Highscore - sure.

Just now, footle said:

Randomly generated might not work (the game is very carefully structured/designed - that's part of the appeal - and you need to be able to repeat).

Highscore - sure.

Disagree.  The enemies in the final stage didn't always appear in the same order.  It made it awesome! 

That's the sort of randomness I meant.  Set stages / scenery, but with endless enemies coming from set spawn locations in a random order. 

4 minutes ago, dood said:

Disagree.  The enemies in the final stage didn't always appear in the same order.  It made it awesome!

Ah, I've not got there yet.

Apparently Sensor Three has turned up at the office. I'll have to go hunting for it later.

1 hour ago, dood said:

I think Robo Recall will fill this urge though.  I can wait!

Yeah, i think i might be on the last set of levels now. I had to give it a break though because it was getting late and i had a little accident (captured on camera :lol: ) thankfully no injuries though. I love that each new scene is quite different but as soon as you have played it a few times, it's - mostly - easy to figure out what to do next time.

17 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

What are the chances of The Climb coming to Steam? I really want to play it but I have a Vive, I don't want to buy the game on the Oculus store and use Revive if the game is coming to Steam. 

I think it's one of the more exclusive Oculus exclusives. Might also depend if Crytek last long enough...

I think we're pretty lucky to have got The Climb before Crytek tank....especially lucky that they added an awesome new mountain which has been amazing so far. The touch controls on the whole work so well (although I don't like the waggle action in order to chalk my hands), At first it felt like I was scrolling the world around like hovering over google earth, but after a while it just clicked into place and I definitely feel like I'm moving up the mountain not just moving the mountain around! And it all looks so lovely, so many amazing incidental details to take in. Definitely feels like a top tier game.

Arizona Sunshine is the first game to convince me that I do still have a thirst for longer adventures / full on games in VR. Prior to that, and something that worked perfectly for my limited game time...everything I was playing was generally in short bursts and very much suited to it. And I do like this element, in that sense a lot of the games feel like the days of visiting Namco World and having an intense 30-60 minute session that would leave me satisfied. But with the Touch, I feel like I can stay in these worlds longer...and if I had the time available I would definitely be having longer sessions of Arizona Sunshine, so looking forward to bigger releases when they come if they nail the mechanics.

I haven't even been tempted to try the RE7 demo on the PSVR that I have waiting for me...because it is played with the gamepad so it's putting me off even having a go (I will try eventually, just so much great touch content begging for my time).

I still haven't managed to put Superhot down :mellow: Now it's even worse in my excitement to be Bruce Willis I punched and broke a light then knocked some ornaments off a shelf. It was well out of range of the limit but my quick punching was taking no prisoners :o

Sort of what we expected after their partnership (and this pretty much means it's nailed on for Scorpion launch), but pretty cool that it's pretty much come out of nowhere!  I know it's just like Big Screen and Virtual Desktop, but the integration with the Live platform is compelling.  Making me want to get a cheap XB1 now for the living room.  Never played Destiny...have a ton of old shit on my dormant Xbox Live account...

28 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I still haven't managed to put Superhot down :mellow: Now it's even worse in my excitement to be Bruce Willis I punched and broke a light then knocked some ornaments off a shelf. It was well out of range of the limit but my quick punching was taking no prisoners :o

this is why I've not dared to take it downstairs into the lounge.