Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

He seems to give the impression that they are not going to manufacture millions of units when the consumer version first comes out. Sounds like they will be drip fed and I can see there being major shortages at launch. Earlier today I ordered the new Oculus, glad I did now. I can't see the consumer version being readily available this year.

It just seems like its all talk and development with no sign of an actual release.

Clearly there is a lot to work on but there's a danger of the tech community thinking that a workong consumer version is simply not realistic yet at a sensible price.

Maybe Sony's announcement (which is also some way off release by the sounds of it) will help push the timeline forward.

Clearly there is a lot to work on but there's a danger of the tech community thinking that a workong consumer version is simply not realistic yet at a sensible price.

Curious what price people think the consumer version should be? The android GAMEFACE (lol) is likely to be selling at around $500.

"The display is a "a full HD screen" split between two eyes. The development kit, coming at the end of this year for an estimated $500"

img_0851.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

:lol:

Curious what price people think the consumer version should be? The android GAMEFACE (lol) is likely to be selling at around $500.

"The display is a "a full HD screen" split between two eyes. The development kit, coming at the end of this year for an estimated $500"

img_0851.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

:lol:

I would have said a sensible consumer price for Oculus in a years time would be £299. Dropping to £199 after a year as the tech gets cheaper and the releases build up.

The trouble is that you have to have a decent PC to go with it and developers have to put the effort in with a relatively small (compared to consoles) installed base. It will help that games already being developed can have Oculus modes relatively easily hopefully. It's going to be the dedicated software that really blows people minds of course.

I am VERY excited about the whole thing but it's a long time for a company that started out on kickstarter to be developing something for. They're going through a lot of Prototypes. I do wonder if Sony's effort may even make it out first with their business power behind it.

I have no worries about the software or devs on PC, I'd be more worried about the type of software and support on console as it's a more restrictive environment to develop VR software or any software for that matter. However I love that Sony have come out swinging with their version and perhaps there's now a race on to see who can get to market first with a solid VR product. All VR manufacturers have their hurdles to overcome to make sure the experience is consumer friendly.

Thank You!

Thanks for your order! Your order number is YEAHBITCH

Items:

Development Kit 2 ($350.00) x 1 = $350.00

Shipping: $35.00 USD

Tax: $77.00 USD

Order Total: $462.00 USD

Comes to 280-90ish.

So yeah, either that or something like a PS4. I know I made the right call

The only worry I have is you're basically lending money for 4 months to a company whose survival you can't guarantee.

I'm sure I'll crack as soon as I can actually order one to be delivered next day.

If you pay by creditcard they only charge $50 right away as a deposit (with PayPal you have to pay the whole amount upfront). They do put a reservation on your card for the whole amount though, effectively decreasing your cards spending limit with $300 until they ship you the DK2.

I'm curious, what's the minimal setup that you could get this to work on? Could a 200 quid laptop do it justice? Guess not. Would be good to be able to take this to the UK to show parents later this year but they don't have computers.

Q: What are the minimum requirements and recommended specifications for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Minimum requirements: A computer running a Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS 10.8 or higher, or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system, 2 USB ports (at least one powered), and a DVI-D or HDMI graphics output.

Recommended specifications: A desktop computer running a dedicated graphics card with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output, with capability of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher.

Work with it is a pretty vague target. I imagine it will work on just about anything, depending in what you're running, what effects you have on and what frame rate you want to run at.

For what it's worth yes I think will work on your RMBP. How well it works will come down to you finding the best balance between frame rate & shinys.