rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

Duncan Trussell (he's a comedian and regular guest on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, if you've never heard of him) has a new podcast out where they talk exclusively about the Oculus Rift (VR in general really), and the possible world changing future of VR. It's more like stoner talk than any real technology discussion, but they really encapsulate for me how crazy this tech is and will be in the future

http://duncantrussell.com/reverend-kyle/#/vanilla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

That seems to be a link to the RevVR podcast which has been around for ages. Or am I reading it wrongly?

Is it just me or do you have to keep entering your email to gain temp access to your order info? Just gave them my email 3 times but they have not sent a link yet :(

edit : got it. Bah still the same :( (I live in Canada)

Date: Mar 19, 2014 12:09 PM PDT Status:PENDING:Your order is pending. Please see the reason(s) below.
Error(s):
  • Your order is awaiting inventory before it can be fulfilled. We will notify you when it's about to be shipped.

You can just use the same email they send you ( just click the link inside) but seems a bit of a backwards system.

For some reason I thought you lived in Amsterdam or something.

No the link in the email will expire and you'll need a new email/link. Would be easier with a username/password system, but there you go.

I think the token is valid for 24 hours or so. I requested one this morning at 7am and then clicked the link again today at 4pm and it still worked ... guessing the token expires after a set time.

Well done to those that are in the first batch. I think the second batch shouldn't be too far behind, so hopefully we can all join in the fun soon. Would love to hear first impressions from people; what demos you are trying, if its a DK1 recompile (3DOF) or specially made for DK2 (ie 6DOF) and any other comparisons with previous use of DK1.

Yeah i'm not too fussed now, at least by the time i get a DK2 the tech demos/games would hopefully have been re compiled etc.

I posted this in the Elite thread but I know the stick has been mentioned by people in here too, so I'm posting here for max coverage: My X-55 should be here in a few days, in preparation can someone who already has one tell me the dimensions of the base of each unit please. There are dimension on various sites selling them but I can't tell if they are for each base or not (appear to be the box dimensions?).

That seems to be a link to the RevVR podcast which has been around for ages. Or am I reading it wrongly?

He was the guest on the Duncan Trussell Family Hour podcast, latest episode

You could tell within seconds that there would be no actual game footage in that. Is there any anywhere or is this just an idea at the moment?

Legendary created Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot to let us experience — to some extent — what it would be like to pilot a giant robot. Putting on the headset, you're thrown into the cockpit of Gipsy Danger, right before the film's first battle. Star Charlie Hunnam himself walks you through the experience, all before he's sucked out of cockpit by a Kaiju. While it's a fun experience visually (it all runs atop Unreal Engine 4 with help from Industrial Light and Magic), it definitely suffers from the lack of any real control on the part of the player. Maybe that will change in future builds; while Legendary hinted that this could see public release in a few years, nothing right now is certain.

It's a band wagon jump. The film is already pretty irrelevant, so I can't imagine that it's gonna be too hard to wait 2/3 years for it.

My order has changed to processing, your order will ship with next batch. That's better news than pending...

• Upvote 1

I posted this in the Elite thread but I know the stick has been mentioned by people in here too, so I'm posting here for max coverage: My X-55 should be here in a few days, in preparation can someone who already has one tell me the dimensions of the base of each unit please. There are dimension on various sites selling them but I can't tell if they are for each base or not (appear to be the box dimensions?).

Really good in depth article here http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=27150

The dimensions of the X55 joystick base are approximately 18 x 22 x 4.5 centimeters. Due to the dimensions and the rubber anti-slip at the bottom, it offers a solid base for joystick movements, even with the green marked spring installed.

If you could share what you are doing with your X-55 that would be appreciated. I'm going to build a makeshift panel so I can use mine while playing - nothing fancy just something that sits on my legs. I am also very keen on what profile and setup you use too. I think I posted a link to a profile and graphic earlier in the E:D - just interested to know if that is the profile that everyone is using too.

• Upvote 2

Just checked -

PROCESSING:Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.

Yeah - nice one!

Order time was 11:48 PDT

• Upvote 1

Really good in depth article here http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=27150

If you could share what you are doing with your X-55 that would be appreciated. I'm going to build a makeshift panel so I can use mine while playing - nothing fancy just something that sits on my legs. I am also very keen on what profile and setup you use too. I think I posted a link to a profile and graphic earlier in the E:D - just interested to know if that is the profile that everyone is using too.

Cheers.

I have this chair, but I took the armrests off ages ago because they would always bang against the desk (and I prefer chairs without arm rests these days). My desk is too high to comfortably have the X-55 on, so I'm going to build two little wing trays that I can quickly attach/detach into the armrest bolts/holes. This way the throttle and stick will sit comfortably at leg level and my arms won't be raised all the time like they would be if I just put it on the desk. I'll have to remember not to slide under the desk fully but other than they should be in quite a decent playing position.

• Upvote 1

My order has changed to processing, your order will ship with next batch. That's better news than pending...

Me too \o/

This is like people boasting about having a BBQ when others have to stay indoors working :|

(half-day, BBQ this arvo, yay!)

It's a band wagon jump. The film is already pretty irrelevant, so I can't imagine that it's gonna be too hard to wait 2/3 years for it.

Seems more like the Game of Thrones VR experience, a glorified advertising campaign for the upcoming film sequel. The assumption being that 2017 refers to some upcoming game release rather than the film sequel seems a stretch. Nice advert for UE4 if they managed to cram the original CGI assets into a realtime techdemo.

Got mine. Not much to do with it at the moment as very few demos work. The Tuscany demo bundled with the rift works, as does the improved version which is obtainable on /r/oculus. The Ghibli homages also work now. The tracking adds a really strong sense of presence to even the crudest geometry and textures.

It's def better than the first version as I remember from my brief experience with it. There are a few bugs to be worked out with the software (full blacks leaving a trail etc) and best setup practices to get the full use of tracking.

I am Intending to try adding support for my game in development. http://blog.richardwhitelock.com/tagged/intothisWyldeAbyss

Not sure how well it will fit in. In the meantime still waiting on the OSX SDK to get stuck in.

• Upvote 1

Got mine. Not much to do with it at the moment as very few demos work.

Do existing demos not work? Even as low res?

Do existing demos not work? Even as low res?

I haven't tried them myself. I think I saw reports of getting them to work using the Rift in extended monitor mode (the new SDK renders direct to the rift). However apparently head tracking doesn't work at all. I expect more and more demos/games will be updated in the coming weeks as more developers receive DK2s.

If you're trying to make me feel better about missing out on batch one, it's working.

From what i hear, they has been no real advantage of getting the first batch... even second batch we might be sitting their twiddling our thumbs for a while!

Three things i hear that sound a bit worrying :

The black smears really break the Immersion. This is due (apparently) to the new screens being used. Will a firmware/software update fix this - i hope so as lots of people are complaining.

The tracking can loose focus, causing some issues. I know the tuscany demo has a big message that appears every time it happens which is annoying, but it's early days and could be user mistake.

The DK2 isn't actually 1080p? I've heard some discussion that it's more like 900p or so because of how the new screens work.

If anyone else has info on whether it works with existing software (vorpx etc) would be good.

Apart from that I'm still looking forward to it. Just hope i don't get the whole Nausea thing like i did on the dk1 i tried.