rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

If you watch that video through an oculus rift, does it resolve into a proper 3D image?

That doesn't nullify his question!

I'm not sure, Mr Fury. I'm sure there are tools about that do that, but it doesn't work like that out of the box.

I've been playing Richard Burns Rally again the last few days, put loads of hours into it. Still can't do the Finland stages but getting pretty damn good on the others. This has taken my top slot for the rift now, the experience is teeth gnawingly gripping. Just. One. More. Try.

I played DriveClub recently, on a nice big screen, and it highlighted how flat and unengaging it feels to play these types games on a screen now. It looked nice (obvs) but I was left completely cold by the experience. Same with the latest Forza.

That doesn't nullify his question!

I'm not sure, Mr Fury. I'm sure there are tools about that do that, but it doesn't work like that out of the box.

Cheers dood. Yeah that's what I was wondering - I don't have a rift, but I keep seeing these videos with the two view points in them and wondered if they were being put out like that because they could then be watched properly with a headset.

Nah it's just that's what is output to the Rift's screen, using fraps or whatever you capture the exact image.

Youtube videos of Rift output can be viewed in 3D on an actual Rift. Problem is the quality is terrible. Compression artefacts are prominent, the framerate is probably too low, and you can't move your head which makes it feel very wrong.

Do you guys think a 4GB graphics card will be enough for this?

Easily. It depends on the application more than anything..

The recent CES Crescent Bay demos were all running on GTX 980's. Is this a hint, I wonder?! ;)

This whole interview is rather good, actually, but details are from 22:35.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been looking for a while, but does anyone know of they've released that series of scenes for DK2? I'd love to try it, even in low res / etc! :(

Is there anything that i really should give a go on my DK2? I haven't used it for a few months now.

I might sell it, I have a DK2 also with some issue but it's mostly useable so i can just use that if i really want.

The recent CES Crescent Bay demos were all running on GTX 980's. Is this a hint, I wonder?! ;)

This whole interview is rather good, actually, but details are from 22:35.

Really interesting interview. The talk of inputs sounds very intriguing, I guessing tech making use of hands and fingers within VR. Surely CV1 is releasing this year. Who's willing to bet a bollock or two?

I don't think they'll launch without the controller, and I don't think they'll have iterated enough and got enough feedback from developers to confidently launch a new VR specific controller, in under a year. It won't just be an xbox/valve controller - my guess is it will be more like the wii nunchuck with a mirrored component for each hand.

I think their input device is going to be real time positional mapping of your hands using a Leap derivative/analogue. They've already put something similar on the front of their internal prototypes.

EDIT: what jonamok said.

Had a bash with a Leap Motion attached to the DK2 this weekend. It's sketchy - the LM just doesn't seem that capable - but when it works the immersion is definitely enhanced.

50% of the time though, you're staring at hands that look like they've been smashed up by a hammer-wielding Joe Pesci.

So currently oculus can let you inhabit a character who is wheelchair bound (seated experience) with deformed hands. Definitely an interesting character design not seen before.

• Upvote 1

I'm not convinced leap motion / hand mapping is going to be good enough in the next year or two. It's a tricky problem, figuring out the ultimate input for VR.. Since the applications can all be so varied, I don't see how there could possibly be one solution for everything.

Even if leap motion was flawless, it still wouldn't beat, for example, using a proper stick & throttle. The tactility of feeling the flight controls in your hand adds so much to it.

It would be great for controlling hud / UI elements in that game though!

So currently oculus can let you inhabit a character who is wheelchair bound (seated experience) with deformed hands. Definitely an interesting character design not seen before.

Looking forward to Deadly Premonition VR from the viewpoint of Mr Stewart.

Surely leap motion etc is a red herring, I'd expect a consumer product to come with a Kinect style device for hand tracking?

I think we are at least two years away from hand controls. Oculus did call out at CES this year that its likely that the next set of "developer kits" wouldn't be HMDs but would be input devices instead (Nate mentioned this in the tested video). I'm guessing DK1 of input at CES next year.

We are going to need some very powerful PCs over time not just because of the CV1 resolution (lets assume 1440p@90Hz) but if we also add in the additional processing, tracking and rendering of arms and hand input which I guess needs to be spot on for it to work (ie to get out of the 'uncanny valley'). Hand motion has to be ages away.

I could really see this taking off with things like DCS when they get the basics right. I like the idea that I could reach out and flick all the switches etc in the cockpit. I know that without haptic feedback it might feel like an empty experience but I quite fancy the idea of being able to reach out to all of those 100s of controls. If that was the case, I could see me devoting time and money to playing DCS.

It would be cool in Elite:Dangerous to use your hand to navigate the HUD. If Frontier did add multi-crew on ships (say the cobra for example where the two seats are beside each other in the cockpit) I could see the hand tracking being useful there ... Lets assume you have a pal in the co-pilot seat ... I would never tire of calling their attention only to 'flip the bird' at them when their head turned to face me ... the novelty and sheer stupidity/childishness of that would never ever wear off.

• Upvote 1

Yeah exactly. People holding off on dk2s for consumer release are going g to be in for a long wait, I'd guess!