vinyl lovers

Prices of physical media have been rapidly increasing over the last few years, even with CDs. 

https://wickedworld.net/cart/product.php?id=74396&affcode=superdelux

The most recent one I've seen is Black Sabbath 4 Deluxe at £90 for x4 CDs of music. The industry have found that adding a book to it, and a box to to ship it to you in, values in at around £60 extra. 

The recent Prince SOTT Deluxe is also guilty of this. 

Still, could be worse, it could be a Frank Zappa release.

I paid the £150 asking price for this:

https://www.discogs.com/release/14711503?utm_source=mobile&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=Android App

It has all six albums on vinyl and CD, 7 CDs of live/B-sides/demos etc and a 7" and other stuff like posters, book and badges. It's also signed, seems like good value to me and more like what a box-set should contain, not just 4 LPs for a massively bumped up price.

Talking of signed vinyl, everything I've bought new and signed from the artists websites (all two of them) have been signed on an included 'art-card'. Is it just a matter of logistics in that it's easier to get 500 or 1000 12" cards in front of an artist than the same number of sleeves or box-sets as they would take up so much more room? I'd much rather it was signed on the sleeve.

I managed to get a signed copy of Ben Howard's new album from his site in the hour after it was announced (before they sold out) and had to buy a bundle for the privilege with a CD version and a 7". When that arrives, If it's signed on an included 'art-card' I'm gonna feel a bit swizzed.

What does anyone do with the things anyway? I just awkwardly try to fit them in the sleeve and occasionally get them out for a glimpse.

6 minutes ago, Agent L said:

What does anyone do with the things anyway? 

Absolutely no idea, its just usually a lot of what I would call landfill really. But then some people like all that shit, like games "collectors editions" with the game and about £30 worth of shit like a poster, map or a toy.

When I see a lot of money spent out on a home cinema room, and it looks really fantastic, but then I spot either a Alien head or a Terminator 2 skull, I cringe as it looks shit.

Last couple of Zappa boxsets have been terrible. The Hot Rats Session boxset is 6 CD's worth of music, and it comes in a big box, with a fucking board game in it. For £120. 

I remember The Smile Sessions came in a massive cardboard Wendy house for some reason. Imagine that sat in your front room. 

The one signed record I have is by Ned Doheny and they’d obviously stuffed it in the mailer pretty sharpish as the ink had smeared over the whole bloody thing. Looks awful.

Bringing things back down to earth, here’s a lovely ‘smoke’ vinyl of “Signals” by Daniel Davies (John Carpenter collaborator and son of The Kinks’ Dave Davies).

Atmospheric Carpenter vibes, with some post rock guitar mixed in. Really good. And comes with a tasty art book with spooky art like on the sleeve. 

6435226F-D49F-4D3F-A0A0-99CAE42E9DEC.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

How do you all store your vinyl? Looking for ideas that aren't too pricey. 

Ikea Kallax is pretty much the default answer to this question. It's certainly my storage method.

The Really Useful Storage box 19XL - NOTE: They must be 19XL - holds around 50. You see them a lot at record fairs (or used to!)

https://www.ryman.co.uk/really-useful-storage-box-19xl-litre?istCompanyId=724692e0-2f99-4874-9565-6fc82074fe86&istFeedId=62fcf5e7-7380-40af-a2f8-d6441f27c300&istItemId=xqlrmxp&istBid=tzpa&gclid=Cj0KCQiApsiBBhCKARIsAN8o_4jU9DtcwFYBoNQE-ICkDdA6LDayjA6-CtXXYQiC0QBrfIo9L39rjRcaAvqiEALw_wcB

Whatever the temptation, don't go with a 32XL unless you are a bodybuilder!

One important note about those really useful boxes - Before I had my current Kallax, I had a few of these, full of albums & 12"s.

They have four ribs on the inside that will dig into your record sleeves if you don't put a suitable liner in first. I initially tried cardboard and the weight of the albums eventually pushed through it.

I ended up cutting some 12" x 12" squares of plastic from 3mm sheeting we had at work. Plywood would do the job too.

You can also minimise the risk by putting as many in a box as possible so they stand perfectly vertically. It's when they're at a bit of an angle that you get more of an issue as they're more likely to press against the ribs with a reasonable amount of weight against them.

IMG_3973a.thumb.JPG.1d4996a4b10f4f04caf301689e523790.JPG

I'm more looking for something I can have them on display, so Kallax is good but I need something a bit more rustic for my setup. Mitt just have to make something to support them where they are in the pic below

IMG_20210221_193122.thumb.jpg.e4705c56e361955e015700adfd974dba.jpg

Are you looking to keep that existing cabinet?

If so I'd be tempted to just figure out a way to add a few vertical boards in to divide up the existing space into 3 or 4 smaller ones.

39 minutes ago, cubik said:

Are you looking to keep that existing cabinet?

If so I'd be tempted to just figure out a way to add a few vertical boards in to divide up the existing space into 3 or 4 smaller ones.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines. 

21 hours ago, cubik said:

One important note about those really useful boxes - Before I had my current Kallax, I had a few of these, full of albums & 12"s.

They have four ribs on the inside that will dig into your record sleeves if you don't put a suitable liner in first. I initially tried cardboard and the weight of the albums eventually pushed through it.

I ended up cutting some 12" x 12" squares of plastic from 3mm sheeting we had at work. Plywood would do the job too.

You can also minimise the risk by putting as many in a box as possible so they stand perfectly vertically. It's when they're at a bit of an angle that you get more of an issue as they're more likely to press against the ribs with a reasonable amount of weight against them.

IMG_3973a.thumb.JPG.1d4996a4b10f4f04caf301689e523790.JPG

Not in my experience they don't. I bought around 20 of these now - all at different times over the years - they don't look anything like the ones in your picture. Smooth to the touch inside. 

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the ones you had aren't from the same company, or from a long time ago? - the ones I have use a distinctive honeycomb pattern on the bottom, the the Really Useful logo on the side

spacer.png

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

Not in my experience they don't. I bought around 20 of these now - all at different times over the years - they don't look anything like the ones in your picture. Smooth to the touch inside. 

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the ones you had aren't from the same company, or from a long time ago? - the ones I have use a distinctive honeycomb pattern on the bottom, the the Really Useful logo on the side

spacer.png

Sorry, I missed one very important bit of info. My boxes are exactly the same as yours, my picture is of the lid.

The lid is the issue if you get the 19 Litre XL then leave enough space for things to sit at an angle.

This website shows the box & lid:

https://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b19_0litreXL.php

spacer.png

You can see the lid has the ribs I was on about and the top edge of the record sleeve can get indented.

If you're buying taller Really Useful boxes it shouldn't be a worry but this is the most common size that is sold as being suitable for 12" records. It's essentially a 10" box with a 2" lid though.

1 hour ago, cubik said:

Sorry, I missed one very important bit of info. My boxes are exactly the same as yours, my picture is of the lid.

D'oh - yeah now I can see it. I got confused with the perspective there! I don't use the lids, that's my excuse. I leave them dotted around the floor opened, ready for access. I can see this being an issue then if you use the lids and move them about a lot, or stack them up. Also all my records are in outer sleeves anyway for extra protection.

As mentioned though, vinyl records in batches can get really heavy. I've no idea how all the old boys carry then around to fairs and such like!

It's authentic in so much as a random company genuinely made 60 of them.

Whether that company has a link to the original record company or John Lennon is another matter.

UK gold records aren't made in editions of 60 and are issued by the BPI. US equivalents are by the RIAA.

The rosette on the certificate (or sticker as I like to call it) is straight from clip art 101.

This looks like a bog standard "limited edition" that you'd find on a late night shopping channel.

Here's a copy of the Joshua Tree that looks much the same, except they missed the H out of Joshua in the cert sticker!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/u2-joshua-tree-collectors-467181512

Edit - The John Lennon cert says "Imagine Soundtrack" which is weird. It's just called Imagine isn't it?

On 16/02/2021 at 13:09, Quest said:

I bought this record off Taobao for pennies:

R-10189781-1493116733-3928.jpeg.jpg.5b0147d824dcbcd1aa1bd15c13a2e659.jpg

Seems to be a Japanese release as the only contributor to the Discogs page is a record shop in Osaka, but there's no year of release, no artist, no other useful info. There's a comment asking if it's connected to the game but no one has answered.

Could be any old nonsense really but I love a mystery record. Should arrive in the post in a few days.

This eventually arrived and seems to be pure late-90s techno cheese, with samples of the OG Ridge Racer menu music and announcer shouting all over it. :lol: I'm pretty sure it's Japanese but there was no more info on the record itself.

It's terrible and wonderful in equal measure.

Outside of HUGE commercial bands I assume a lot of modern vinyl releases are limited run these days presumably because of the expense and difficulty to produce them?

Since I've started looking to essentially buy a bunch of records of stuff I've had on tape or CD for decades I've been surprised at how fleeting some of these releases seem to be. Machine Head's 2020 re-release of "Burn My Eyes" is a case in point. It's something I knew I wanted and £32 felt a bit steep last month after the other significant vinyl expense but I handed over the cash. It is popping up on Amazon, Discogs, eBay etc now for around the £40 - £50 mark and it doesn't really feel that long since it was released.

I had originally set myself margins of anything up to £25 for a single LP and up to £35 for a double trying to stick with the bog standard black releases where possible but I'm finding that if I miss the boat on a release then the price becomes ludicrous pretty quickly. 

tl;dr - The price of modern records seems a bit mad. I need to reign it in and wait for record shops to open again.

You've got quite a few options. Just need to clarify one thing first:

Are you looking to go straight from turntable to speakers? If so, you'll need to be looking at active speakers which have a built in amplifier.

Or are you thinking of the more traditional Turntable > Amp > Speakers?

If so, do you need the amp to do anything else? (streaming, bluetooth, other inputs etc?)

Well, I just took the plunge and ordered one of these:

image.png.730125ae853ee499582a6cc414413c9d.png

The Rega Planar P2. Did lots of research and it seemed the best for my needs. Plus it looks lovely. :wub:

I already had an old Cambridge amp and Mission speakers kicking around that we weren't actually using, so only really needed the turntable part of the equation for now. Longer term I plan on upgrading the speakers to Bowers and Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Editions and the amp to a Sonos Amp, but for now I'm just excited to have a turntable coming early next week!

Already ordered some fairly obvious albums that I've always wanted from Rough Trade as they had a sale on (What's Going On, XX, Debut, Dummy), but excited to begin digging through charity shops / finding second hand bargains.