rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Lovely music corner. 

The turntable goes into the line in on the Sonos play 5 which is in a stereo pair with another. 

MVIMG_20190921_101511.thumb.jpg.c8776c8f2fedce3f09728baa905c06a7.jpg

That looks lovely mate :)

• Upvote 1

Hello.

What's the best way to check the price you are about to pay for second hand vinyl isn't way out?

How do you determine between different pressings and other things, and is there a good online resource to keep me on the right level?

Discogs is good for this. You get the lowest / highest / median price for a record, plus it lists every conceivable pressing available. From my experience though you can tend to pay top whack on there though. You're paying for the convenience of it being there to buy now, rather than researching what you want and then tracking it down in shops or giving a dealer a wish list. 

It's a marvel of human endeavour that it exists, but it has practically wiped out the joy of finding undervalued gems in charity shops and car boots. For better or worse.

2 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Hello.

What's the best way to check the price you are about to pay for second hand vinyl isn't way out?

How do you determine between different pressings and other things, and is there a good online resource to keep me on the right level?

Discogs, basically.

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking with the second part of your post but it's likely a massive can of worms with no short answer unfortunately. If you want the best possible versions of things at whatever price you're wanting to pay it can involve an awful lot of research at times: checking Discogs, the Steve Hoffman forums, miscellaneous Googling etc. You do develop a bit of an instinct for things over time but I've been buying records since my teens and I'll still drop bollocks every now and again.

Now I have a few records, it's time for a 'budget' set-up.

I've made plans to buy that deck.

I'm going to buy some white q acoustics 3010I speakers.

(I've chosen them over a few in the end. Monitor audio 50's and Dali zensor/pico/ones.

I'll look for a nice stereo receiver....if not....something modern...undecided and don't have the cash right now anyway.

IMG_20191123_133121.jpg

Love that album. Is it some weird perspective thing or is that sleeve weirdly long?

After seeing the pre-order up at my favourite indie (which was £30 more expensive than directly ordering) I've finally bitten the bullet and got my name on the list for this from the Supergrass web store:

supergrass-the-strange-ones-1994-2008-su

£160 delivered which is by far and away the most money I've ever spent on music in one hit.  When you look at the amount of content for that £160 though it looks like a bit of a bargain.  Lets ignore the fact I've got them all on CD already and two on vinyl shall we!

2-part, rigid, 12" x 12” x 3" box, matte laminate outer finish with hot foil cover text, containing:

6 LPs
- 6 x original albums as picture discs: I SHOULD COCO (UK #1, 1995) / IN IT FOR THE MONEY (UK #2, 1997) / SUPERGRASS (UK #3, 1999) / LIFE ON OTHER PLANETS (UK #9, 2002) / ROAD TO ROUEN (UK #9, 2005) / DIAMOND HOO HA (UK #19, 2008)

13 CDs
- 1 x 6CD set - All 6 original studio albums in new digipack
- 1 x 4CD set - Live (5 hours of previously unreleased, career-spanning performances: radio sessions, full live shows and acoustic sets)
- 1 x 2CD set - Remixes, B-sides, acoustic versions and other rarities
- 1 x 1CD set - Demos, out-takes and oddities (all previously unreleased)

7” single
- Caught By The Fuzz / Richard III 2020 Remixes

Book
- 12” sq, 52 pages. Story of each album, written by separate journalists: Everett True, Charles Shaar Murray, Sylvia Patterson, Andrew Male, Adam Sweeting and Paul Moody. Quotes from new band interviews with Matt Everitt. Unseen photos and memorabilia.

Colour posters x 4

Supergrass is 10 - button badges x 8

• Upvote 1

I stopped buying records (as they were called at the time) at the end of 1986 as I got a CD player for Christmas that year. Later on CDs were replaced by iTunes and then iTunes was replaced by Spotify. I know, sacrilege in this thread, right?

But last year one of my favourite self-funding independent musicians (Laura Kidd, aka She Makes War) shared this article that really spells out just how little artists make from streaming. I want to support the people who make the music I love and I already do this by going to lots of gigs (I went to 27 last year) so I decided to make a new year's resolution that I would buy something from the merch stand at every gig I go to from now on. As I'm nearly 50 I already have more than enough t-shirts so my item of choice will be vinyl.

My first gig of 2020 is next Wednesday: The Big Moon at Rough Trade Nottingham launching their new album which is released today. I have a copy waiting for me in the shop along with my ticket for the show. And when I pick it up, it will be almost exactly 33 1/3  years since I bought my last record! (33 years 108 days to be precise, which is 33.3 years.) That's some cosmic coincidence right there.

I already have 11 more gigs lined up for the next three months, so if I carry on at this rate by the end of the year I will be a fully paid up member of the vinyl lovers' club with a nice little collection of brand new records.

Then I'll just need something to play them on...

• Upvote 4

As one of my 2020 resolutions, I'm adding my vinyl to complete my already half-done discogs collection, added 70 so far today. Probably got another 2-300 to go.

I also plan to organise them properly as they weren't in the best order to begin with and over the last few years I've just stuck anything I bought in the next gap on the shelves so there's new & second hand stuff, albums and 12"s and all sorts of genres jumbled up.

I added some to discogs previously, but I do know which shelf that is. If I sort them first, they'll get jumbled up with the ones that aren't in my collection and it'll be harder work as I'll spend time searching for stuff that's already in my database.

One main reason is I quite like buying second hand 12"s of old school dance tunes. Half the time though, I forget what I've already got and end up either missing out because I think I have it at home, or buying duplicates because I have it and forgot.

On 10/01/2020 at 17:00, Darren said:

I stopped buying records (as they were called at the time) at the end of 1986 as I got a CD player for Christmas that year. Later on CDs were replaced by iTunes and then iTunes was replaced by Spotify. I know, sacrilege in this thread, right?

But last year one of my favourite self-funding independent musicians (Laura Kidd, aka She Makes War) shared this article that really spells out just how little artists make from streaming. I want to support the people who make the music I love and I already do this by going to lots of gigs (I went to 27 last year) so I decided to make a new year's resolution that I would buy something from the merch stand at every gig I go to from now on. As I'm nearly 50 I already have more than enough t-shirts so my item of choice will be vinyl.

My first gig of 2020 is next Wednesday: The Big Moon at Rough Trade Nottingham launching their new album which is released today. I have a copy waiting for me in the shop along with my ticket for the show. And when I pick it up, it will be almost exactly 33 1/3  years since I bought my last record! (33 years 108 days to be precise, which is 33.3 years.) That's some cosmic coincidence right there.

I already have 11 more gigs lined up for the next three months, so if I carry on at this rate by the end of the year I will be a fully paid up member of the vinyl lovers' club with a nice little collection of brand new records.

Then I'll just need something to play them on...

Do you know what you're going for?

I did this recently and got a nice NAD turntable and a couple of used Sonos play 5 gen 1 and used line in for excellent stereo setup with minimal footprint. 

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Do you know what you're going for?

I did this recently and got a nice NAD turntable and a couple of used Sonos play 5 gen 1 and used line in for excellent stereo setup with minimal footprint. 

No idea yet. I’d like it in the living room playing through the amp & speakers already set up in there, but my wife isn’t keen on the idea, so I’m gradually building up the idea that it would be a nice 50th birthday present! So ideally all I’ll need is the turntable, but I’ve not started looking at them yet.

• Upvote 1

On 11/01/2020 at 17:19, cubik said:

As one of my 2020 resolutions, I'm adding my vinyl to complete my already half-done discogs collection, added 70 so far today. Probably got another 2-300 to go.

I also plan to organise them properly as they weren't in the best order to begin with and over the last few years I've just stuck anything I bought in the next gap on the shelves so there's new & second hand stuff, albums and 12"s and all sorts of genres jumbled up.

I added some to discogs previously, but I do know which shelf that is. If I sort them first, they'll get jumbled up with the ones that aren't in my collection and it'll be harder work as I'll spend time searching for stuff that's already in my database.

One main reason is I quite like buying second hand 12"s of old school dance tunes. Half the time though, I forget what I've already got and end up either missing out because I think I have it at home, or buying duplicates because I have it and forgot.

I also decided to do this. Had 0 albums on vinyl in 2012, and now this. This is not even all of them as still need to do the jazz, compilations and soundtracks.

Screenshot_20200112-172229.jpg

• Upvote 1

Impressive, is that all vinyl?

My collection has been ongoing since the 80s, although that also includes a 20ish year break from buying vinyl as CD took over.

In the early 90s a load of my records got destroyed when part of the ceiling of our first house fell down. Quite a lot were original (now old school) hip hop/electro/techno/acid/house 12"s that are worth quite a bit now. I've spent time buying back some of the less expensive ones but some are crazy money, I wish I still had them.

About 15 years ago the remaining ones ended up in boxes in the loft.

5 years ago we moved to a larger house and my record collection came out of the loft and started to expand which coincided with me buying less CDs.

I got rid of a load of CDs last year (100+), I even tried to give them away in here but nobody wanted them.

I've put 670 items into my library so far, not including the CDs that I got rid of. It's split around 50/50 CD vs vinyl.

Still got 100+ CDs and another 50 to 70 records to add.