Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

Hello. I've bought some vinyl records recently and listened to the majority them and now want to "put them away" for a bit, in the loft. Can anyone recommend some kind of solid storage solution? I'm thinking like one of those clear plastic boxes with the clasps on like this but not sure about sizing cos I don't want them to get squashed. There's no damp in my loft, as far as I know, but would prefer to avoid putting them in a cardboard box. They're currently in an old plastic drawer that we no longer have the shelving part for, but I want something with a lid, really.

Basically, I'm hoping someone has got some boxes for the same purpose and I can get the same thing. I probably have about 40 12" records to store.

edit: Although this looks nice.

2nd edit: nevermind. I think I'll order this one.  £15, holds 50 records, exactly what I had in mind.

3rd edit: shipping was as much as the box but it's on amazon for £16.52

Edited by disperse and recoagulate
added a box

46 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Hello. I've bought some vinyl records recently and listened to the majority them and now want to "put them away" for a bit, in the loft. Can anyone recommend some kind of solid storage solution? I'm thinking like one of those clear plastic boxes with the clasps on like this but not sure about sizing cos I don't want them to get squashed. There's no damp in my loft, as far as I know, but would prefer to avoid putting them in a cardboard box. They're currently in an old plastic drawer that we no longer have the shelving part for, but I want something with a lid, really.

Basically, I'm hoping someone has got some boxes for the same purpose and I can get the same thing. I probably have about 40 12" records to store.

2nd edit: nevermind. I think I'll order this one.  £15, holds 50 records, exactly what I had in mind.

It’s worth checking out a post I made on this very subject. I do use those boxes too but you do need to watch out as the ribs on the lids can damage the sleeves. I put a couple of 12” squares of plastic in to protect them.

This post and a few of the follow ups explains more:

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

What are you a millionaire? Get yer sen to Ryman..

https://www.ryman.co.uk/really-useful-storage-box-35-litre-xl

@Welrain If it’s the Audio Technica turntable, there’s a phono/line switch on the back. If you’re going into a dedicated phono input on the amp/speakers then use that setting, otherwise if you’re using a normal input like you would for a CD player etc then set it to line. That should do the trick.

24 minutes ago, Welrain said:

Line on the turntable, what switch on the speaker? Input is to switch between cable and Bluetooth.

Sorry, my bad. I looked at the Amazon page and thought the speakers had the same line/phono option too.

If you connect a phone, do you need to turn the phone volume down for it to sound normal/comfortable? Does a phone with the volume up full have the same issue as the TT and sound crazy loud even when the speaker volume knob is low?

With active speakers, you are likely going to need something in between the TT and speakers to control the volume, assuming there is no volume control on the turntable. 

A cheap amp with the right cables and connectors could do the job. Something like this maybe but there’s loads of options. 

Behringer HA400 Microamp 4 Channel Stereo Headphone Amplifier https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TYSZ9HWZG4W73F58GSC1

Edit: The people reviewing the tt/speaker combo on Amazon don’t seem to have your issue. I wonder if the volume knob on your speaker is busted? Does it get even louder than on the lowest setting? 

The speakers have a volume knob, you can see it in the Amazon pictures. 

It does sound as if speakers are faulty. The phone shows the same issue as the turntable. 

Tell Amazon it’s faulty and get them to replace the whole lot looks like the best bet. 

I can see the volume knob but I have a pair of JBL active monitors that would still be really loud at their lowest volume setting. I use a headphone amp or audio interface to control the volume. 

In this case, I think it is a faulty speaker unit though. 

5 minutes ago, Welrain said:

can you recommend the audio interface you use?  Its annoying the volume is on the back of the speakers.

Yeah absolutely, and with my monitors, each one has it's own volume control which is a pain so best to set them at the same level and use a volume control on the desk. 

Most of the ones I use are USB driven and are overkill for your situation because you don't need a DAC or to plug instruments into (I'm assuming). I use either an Axe I/O (mostly for recording guitar), an audio-gd headphone amp or a Schiit Fulla mini headphone amp. The Fulla would do the job for you but it's expensive (£100) and has features you don't need.

The Behringer I linked to previously would work but something like this Fostex would do exactly what you need and no more - it also doesn't even need power: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fostex_pc_1_black.htm

On 18/09/2021 at 17:49, englishbob said:

Seriously get the 19XL instead, the 35XL's are fucking massive and heavy when full of records!

I did already get the 19XL (well, 2 actually) but thanks for your input. Got them off eBay in the end for about £15 each because I couldn't be arsed going to Ryman.

Not done anything with them yet but they seem perfect for my needs. :)

12 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

This is a good Instagram account for fans of ultra rare holy grail records. I feel it needs support as there's no way they can keep up this effort for that many followers.

https://www.instagram.com/beyondmintvinyls/

Amazing! What’s up with Lynneguine’s Costa Rica though? Clearly a rip off of Anneka’s Japanese Boy, time for her to #lawyerup.