IGNORED

Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

3 hours ago, cerseis eyebrows said:

Yeah, had a clean, didn't make a lick of difference. Fucks sake! Gonna try rebalancing tonearm to see if that helps. Otherwise I might have to start thinking about new amplifiers. 😑

Does it happen with all your records?

Does it happen when there’s nothing playing but the turntable is turned on?

I doubt it’s the tonearm. 

You have connected the ground from the turntable to the amp right?

30 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Does it happen with all your records?

Does it happen when there’s nothing playing but the turntable is turned on?

I doubt it’s the tonearm. 

You have connected the ground from the turntable to the amp right?

Yes. (Only have three of them!)

No.

No. My amp has the 'GND' input but my turntable (Rega Playa 2) doesn't come with a grounding system. (Reading up on it, apparently Rega put the ground on the left channel of their audio cable)

Been looking at one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-PP400-Microphono-Compact-assorted/dp/B000H2BC4E?th=1. Could using this to convert to a line signal be a possible fix? Looks like it has grounding option too.

Sorry, this is all very annoying. I feel so stupid!

3 minutes ago, cerseis eyebrows said:

Yes. (Only have three of them!)

No.

No. My amp has the 'GND' input but my turntable (Rega Playa 2) doesn't come with a grounding system. (Reading up on it, apparently Rega put the ground on the left channel of their audio cable)

Been looking at one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-PP400-Microphono-Compact-assorted/dp/B000H2BC4E?th=1. Could using this to convert to a line signal be a possible fix?

Sorry, this is all very annoying. I feel so stupid!

Nah you’re not stupid. 

you’re right, that could be a fix. Basically your amp’s phono could be dodgy. 

You could try plugging the turntable into the line in on your amp and see if it’s still clicking. You will have to turn it up a lot more than you’re used to as you’re effectively bypassing the phono amp but you should be able to listen for static. 

if that sounds clean then I’d get one of those preamps. 

29 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Nah you’re not stupid. 

you’re right, that could be a fix. Basically your amp’s phono could be dodgy. 

You could try plugging the turntable into the line in on your amp and see if it’s still clicking. You will have to turn it up a lot more than you’re used to as you’re effectively bypassing the phono amp but you should be able to listen for static. 

if that sounds clean then I’d get one of those preamps. 

Cheers.

Tried it and still getting crackling. 😤

Maybe I'm just a dusty motherfucker. All the brush seems to do is move the dust around the record!

23 minutes ago, cerseis eyebrows said:

Cheers.

Tried it and still getting crackling. 😤

Maybe I'm just a dusty motherfucker. All the brush seems to do is move the dust around the record!

If there’s a load of dust on the record then it’s probably still covered in static. 

are you making sure you’re brushing the record with the pile on the brush pointing against the direction of the rotation? You should be able to just hold it perpendicular to the rotation for a few revolutions then sweep the dust off.  

you need to do both sides otherwise the static will stay on. 

Today I got on top of archiving my vinyl collection, cos we’ve been clearing out the loft.

I like that Discogs gives you a few valuations - maximum, median and minimum. Obviously it relies on if people were to actually buy them but it was a surprise to see the maximum valuation at just over £4k. (Minimum £1842.75, Median £2712.46.

Seems silly money for some circles with music on. I do love my Elliott Smith/Heatmiser collection, but I should probably give up on trying to be a completist. That being said, they’ve re-released the majority of his albums of pink vinyl limited to only 91, and I’ve managed to grab them all. :)

Here’s me: https://www.discogs.com/user/bazakehurst/collection

Its mostly stuff I’ve gone out of my way to own, but there’s a few in there that I was given from my dead Uncle’s collection and some I found in a bin. :lol:

Also introduced my 4 year old to “records” today and she loved it. Mostly because a) she loves the first track of the Viola Beach one and b) it’s rainbow coloured rather than black, but it’s a start.

1 hour ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Also introduced my 4 year old to “records” today and she loved it. Mostly because a) she loves the first track of the Viola Beach one and b) it’s rainbow coloured rather than black, but it’s a start.

I'd totally missed that this finally got a vinyl release. As cool as this one looks, I'm generally a bit underwhelmed by picture discs. Does it sound good?

On 21/02/2022 at 23:05, Agent L said:

I'd totally missed that this finally got a vinyl release. As cool as this one looks, I'm generally a bit underwhelmed by picture discs. Does it sound good?

I’m honestly no connoisseur and don’t really have much to compare it to, sorry. Sounded fine though, and nice to support a local band[‘s estate, RIP] when I can.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/02/2022 at 08:41, Rockboy said:

I was looking on Sevenoaks and they have a couple of interesting deals.

They have that NAD C 558 with a NAD PP4 phono pre-amp worth £169 for £458 (saving £110): https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-370402-nad-c-558-turntable-nad-pp4-phono-preamp.aspx

They also have the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo with a free set of Sennheiser CX wireless earphones (worth £119): https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-50962-pro-ject-debut-carbon-evo-turntable.aspx

Would it be a noticeable difference in sound quality between say the Behringer pre-amp and that NAD one?

Or I guess if I got the Pro-Ject I could always sell the headphones on here or Ebay to bring the cost down  bit?

Well I dithered a bit but I've finally made a decision and ordered a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo today!

If anyone's interested you can get 20% off (max discount £75) at selected sellers at Ebay until end of today with code "BAG20". So I get it from the Peter Tyson Ebay store for £424 in the end. Just need to get a pre-amp now and I'm good to go. 😀

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234311602782

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been away from my collection for 5 years so I’ve been looking to catch up. I can’t believe the prices charged now - it’s like a luxury hobby.

It just makes me want to put it all back in storage again, or just buy old, battered stuff from the 70s.

29 minutes ago, QuackQuack said:

I can’t believe the prices charged now - it’s like a luxury hobby.

Don't you think that's true of almost all hobbies or the last 5 years?

I ride MTB and things are staggeringly expensive now.

7 hours ago, QuackQuack said:

I’ve been away from my collection for 5 years so I’ve been looking to catch up. I can’t believe the prices charged now - it’s like a luxury hobby.

It just makes me want to put it all back in storage again, or just buy old, battered stuff from the 70s.

Yeah, sure, prices are more expensive than when people were giving away their vinyl in 90s. However, streaming alleviates my need to buy everything on vinyl, I just tend to buy less now. 

If you want to collect a format in bulk, CDs are where it's at now.

So, my mom’s husband passed away at the beginning of 2021. He loved his music, and we’d sit up late watching Jeff Beck and Rodrigo y Gabriela on YouTube. 

His hi-fi system was his pride and joy. For the last couple of years of his life, it had to be moved to the garage to make room for his dialysis machine. 

This weekend, I asked my mom if I could give it a new home. I was worried it would seem vulture-like, but my mom was overjoyed as she didn’t think we’d have room for it, and she’d just have to flog it, and hated the idea it wouldn’t be used by someone who cared. 

8FA40EF2-5781-4CA2-8397-D0A7366D8714.thumb.jpeg.9a60e07404e6a2229c4ccc8e4adbefe3.jpeg

Look at it. It is [A] a thing of vintage beauty, and [B] heavier than a Honda Civic. 

CD0582E5-DB6B-4AD0-BEFA-95466DC2A5E6.thumb.jpeg.3d4498984c3b9c89f24e2d16c4e65cab.jpeg

I expect I’ll need a PhD to work out how to connect everything up properly. 

618819E2-2FAC-4C22-BE16-F32A7D322BF2.thumb.jpeg.e394955dc67513bb1953fddda4a88853.jpeg

The turntable needs some love. My mom says the arm return function doesn’t work. Also, the plastic housing of the brackets for the lid seem to have gone brittle, and the springs have broken through, so it won’t stay up. Are they easy to repair?

58B1022B-092E-40B0-96A2-F79CDC1F9C26.thumb.jpeg.566b83266075bd269d2dcaf8bf8f4d28.jpeg

The tape/amp/radio set-up in the Akai hostess trolley is immense. It took me and my teenage son loads of effort to get it in the back of the car. A Skoda Karoq with a very big boot. 

It’ll be a Labour of love to clean everting up. I’ve swept out all the mouse poo and nut casings littering the bottom, and I intend to clean the decades of dust and grime from the cables. 

Any recommendations for restoring it all? The trolley has some slight mottled oxidisation which I don’t mind and doubt can be fixed.

@Twinbee Obvious things to initially check will be the needle on the turntable, capacitors in the amp, and belts in the cassette deck. Cautiously power everything up, and see what works, what doesn't, and what starts smoking.

I have a late 70s/early 80s Akai AA-1030 receiver, also from my Dad, which is still working perfectly.

On 11/04/2022 at 22:56, Twinbee said:

So, my mom’s husband passed away at the beginning of 2021. He loved his music, and we’d sit up late watching Jeff Beck and Rodrigo y Gabriela on YouTube. 

His hi-fi system was his pride and joy. For the last couple of years of his life, it had to be moved to the garage to make room for his dialysis machine. 

This weekend, I asked my mom if I could give it a new home. I was worried it would seem vulture-like, but my mom was overjoyed as she didn’t think we’d have room for it, and she’d just have to flog it, and hated the idea it wouldn’t be used by someone who cared. 

8FA40EF2-5781-4CA2-8397-D0A7366D8714.thumb.jpeg.9a60e07404e6a2229c4ccc8e4adbefe3.jpeg

Look at it. It is [A] a thing of vintage beauty, and [B] heavier than a Honda Civic. 

CD0582E5-DB6B-4AD0-BEFA-95466DC2A5E6.thumb.jpeg.3d4498984c3b9c89f24e2d16c4e65cab.jpeg

I expect I’ll need a PhD to work out how to connect everything up properly. 

618819E2-2FAC-4C22-BE16-F32A7D322BF2.thumb.jpeg.e394955dc67513bb1953fddda4a88853.jpeg

The turntable needs some love. My mom says the arm return function doesn’t work. Also, the plastic housing of the brackets for the lid seem to have gone brittle, and the springs have broken through, so it won’t stay up. Are they easy to repair?

58B1022B-092E-40B0-96A2-F79CDC1F9C26.thumb.jpeg.566b83266075bd269d2dcaf8bf8f4d28.jpeg

The tape/amp/radio set-up in the Akai hostess trolley is immense. It took me and my teenage son loads of effort to get it in the back of the car. A Skoda Karoq with a very big boot. 

It’ll be a Labour of love to clean everting up. I’ve swept out all the mouse poo and nut casings littering the bottom, and I intend to clean the decades of dust and grime from the cables. 

Any recommendations for restoring it all? The trolley has some slight mottled oxidisation which I don’t mind and doubt can be fixed.

What a beauty - that amp particularly, with those vi’s and that big knob….   What a fantastic little project. 
This is one reason why it’s so worth having some stuff. 
I love the idea my kids will one day cherish the gear that used to be their dad’s. 

I’ve spent some time downloading manuals for each (absolute) unit, and am perusing replacement dust cover hinges. Seems like there are Linn ones which are fairly universal and will work for this model. 

I’m intrigued by the bottom slot of the rack though. There are scratch marks and evidence that *something* used to be in there full time. But as long as I’ve known my stepfather (over 20 years), there was a much smaller Sony CD player sat in there. 

A couple of friends suggest a graphic equaliser could’ve gone in there. 

But looking at other pics of the same rack (including in the instruction manual), that bottom slot is always empty. Is this deliberate, for ventilation? Or a marketing ploy to make you think you have an extra space to fill?

• 3 weeks later...

Bought what I consider to be my only bargain on my journey of re-acquiring music I bought on CD in the early 90s - Megadeth - Rust in Peace for #20 at an antique fair.

Amazingly whilst the sleeve has scuff mark all around the edges the record itself plays fine. But it is a reminder of how flimsy records from that era were and how noisy they are in comparison to the heavy remastered stock used today.

I have one of those anti static brushes and on for the stylus so maybe I need to get it more of  brushing to try and cut down on the crackles and pops. 

I have a ton of old records that aren’t noisy in the slightest. You’ve bought a record that’s either dirty or damaged. I think it’s probably just dirty.

edit: I read 70s instead of 90s, sorry :facepalm:

Yeah loads of records in that period were made terribly; mostly through trying to squeeze too many songs onto single vinyl meaning the output is really quiet and surface noise becomes more noticeable.

19 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Amazingly whilst the sleeve has scuff mark all around the edges the record itself plays fine. But it is a reminder of how flimsy records from that era were and how noisy they are in comparison to the heavy remastered stock used today.

The new 180g stuff etc. has no real bearing on sound quality. You could buy that MegaDeth album again on remastered reissued 180g vinyl and it wouldn't sound half as good or as alive as the original you have, partly due to the remastering emperor's new clothes, but also hardly anyone about with any conceivable talent these days that knows how to cut a record properly.

21 minutes ago, englishbob said:

The new 180g stuff etc. has no real bearing on sound quality. You could buy that MegaDeth album again on remastered reissued 180g vinyl and it wouldn't sound half as good or as alive as the original you have, partly due to the remastering emperor's new clothes, but also hardly anyone about with any conceivable talent these days that knows how to cut a record properly.

The vinyl manufactured during the 70s oil crisis are nearly flexi-discs, but still sound great.

8 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

The vinyl manufactured during the 70s oil crisis are nearly flexi-discs, but still sound great.

I tend to steer well clear of those Dynaflex ones though, wow they are weird

4 hours ago, englishbob said:

I tend to steer well clear of those Dynaflex ones though, wow they are weird

I don't own one myself, but apparently they still sound fine.