rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

eh, it's only about that on discogs.

Found it pretty easy, I had more difficulty buying Jarvis Cockers first solo album - cost me £45 in the end. :(

So that Audio Technica needle broke off after listening to one record on it! Not recommended at all! Had to go back to the old Stanton.

Something must have been faulty because they are usually quite robust, I used one for a year. Tracking force too high? :)

I'm only missing MHTRTC and CH, ordered them though. About fucking time!

In vinyl news I got the new No Age 'loser edition' from Norman. Lot's of extra shit.

YcWkNHVl.jpg

• Upvote 2

Something must have been faulty because they are usually quite robust, I used one for a year. Tracking force too high? :)

Spot on. I somehow forgot to reattach the counterweight between the shell and cart! DOH! You live and learn I guess.

Been to amoeba records SF today, my wife more or less had to drag me out, pretentious piccy i took:

79abe51d21d1a11d315783b7e210bab4.jpg

With this and seeing steely dan last week, life can only go downhill now!

• Upvote 2

I'd love to go to Amoeba!

Got the King Krule "6 feet beneath the Moon" LP which I have been waiting for, however the vinyl quality is very poor. It comes on 4 sides and each one has a very loud shooshing/hissing noise throughout (mostly on the right channel) and it gets louder the nearer the end of each side.

Typical for a new vinyl release, a high premium based product with either none or next-to-none quality control whatsoever.

So after collecting vinyls for around a year I thought it was about time to actually get a turntable to play them on.

I got a Pro-Ject 0.5 deck from eBay which I'm not sure how good it is but looks nice at least... I've tried setting it up tonight and think I need a preamp so that's tomorrow job!

$(KGrHqNHJCUFH6ZLUPDGBSEMFK7-nw~~60_12.J

It's a bit of a cliche I know, but it seems at least 3 of the record shops in edinburgh are run by fannies. Elvis Shakespeare, Record Shak and Backtracks. Voxbox is the newest, but friendliest. I used to love Underground Solush'n but haven't been in the last decade. I don't see the point of owning a shop if you are going to be rude to customers, go do something else.

What's other people's experiences?

I think that's fairly universal. My experience is that people who own record shops all hate each other, slag each other off at every opportunity yet are basically all exactly the same person.

• Upvote 1

Most of the dance ones I used to go in when I DJd were all very friendly. Dunno if that was just a raving thing, but the staff were genuinely enthusiastic to let you hear good new stuff in the main. Recently I've only experienced that at Voxbox.

Staff are gonna be variable, I was just meaning the owners really. Not that I think they're bad sorts or anything, there just seems to be something about running a record shop that makes people become gradually more and more ground down and embittered, generally in proportion to how big the shop gets.

You wouldn't catch me starting one up anyway!

• Upvote 1

Love Discogs but sometimes its as bad for postage costs as Ebay. Ordered an LP for £13 and the seller wants £12 to send it.

It is generally expensive to send something as large and fragile as an LP so about £5 from the UK is about right, still it increases the overall cost enough to make online buying less attractive, its the reason I only buy records online which I can't get in the record shops. Normally from smaller labels, or shops from mainland Europe which are very good for underground alternative music. Even shipping from Europe £12 sounds extortionate. Sure the seller is not shipping from the US?

After so much mucking around, buying pre-amps and analog to digital converters to fit my shitty amp, ive finally hooked my deck up so I can sit and actually listen to some music.

By jove it was worth it.

Call me converted to this vinyl lark. Listening to Tears for Fears - Songs from the big chair just now on my pair of headphones I practically emptied my bank account to afford. A little slice of heaven. Such a great album, practically jam packed with one incredible track after the next.

I just want to sit and listen for hours.

Also thanks to this thread I ended up buying the 2013 reissue of the Bladerunner soundtrack. Its a red bin lid. Its such a mad thing that you can get music of this. Ah its like Christmas :)

I didn't know I could smile this wide.

• Upvote 1