IGNORED

Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

ok. I think his main concern was import tax but I don't think i've ever been hit with that.

That's not usually a problem when sending records to the US, I think they're exempt from import duty. There are a couple of states that'll charge sales tax on them though, Florida always used to be one but I don't know if that's still the case. He's most likely safe, anyway.

Yeah there are a few sellers on ebay and amazon who are selling new vinyl direct from america for £8-£12 with free postage, if you don't mind new pressings and having to wait for nearly two weeks for your vinyl to arrive its a bargain, i got quite a few records i was after that way stuff like the sonics, dinosaur jr, and the gits.

It's a fantastic shop. The staff are dead friendly. When you pre-order stuff., or even query when stuff is out, they'll give you a call or drop you an email to let you it's available.

All small indie retailers need to go over and above to really succeed these days, but it never feels forced or fake with those dudes.

On The Kick Inside I noticed that on The Man with the child in his eyes Kate's vocals sounded a bit distorted. Assuming it was my pressing I picked up another copy that looked immaculate. And it is. Apart from that same track again! Anyone got an explanation?

On The Kick Inside I noticed that on The Man with the child in his eyes Kate's vocals sounded a bit distorted. Assuming it was my pressing I picked up another copy that looked immaculate. And it is. Apart from that same track again! Anyone got an explanation?

That tracks the 2nd to last track on side 1 isn't it, and a fairly stripped back instrumentation piece. Does it sound like lots of sssshhhh-ing when she rounds off her s's? If so its probably inner ring distortion aka sibilance

What's your cartridge?

http://www.vinylengi...0da57a33a7b7b15

EDIT - I'll give my dog-rough late 70's copy a run later and let you know.

Yeah, my local got it from a distributor this week. They only got sent one, though, rather than the three they asked for. Also it was mine because I kept bothering them about it.

You could also try young god records (the label) online. It's a very good album, however, it's really not optimised for vinyl at all, since a lot of the tracks are split, and they're all in a different order to the cd/mp3 release.

I didn't realise that the tracking listing was different. So it is.

It does sound fucking beastly on vinyl though. Lovely.

That tracks the 2nd to last track on side 1 isn't it, and a fairly stripped back instrumentation piece. Does it sound like lots of sssshhhh-ing when she rounds off her s's? If so its probably inner ring distortion aka sibilance

What's your cartridge?

http://www.vinylengi...0da57a33a7b7b15

EDIT - I'll give my dog-rough late 70's copy a run later and let you know.

Yes, all as you describe. I thought I'd set my cartridge up well enough (used a protractor and everything!).

It's a new audio technica 95E I'm pretty sure. Not noticed any issues on anything else, even when playing that particular area of a record.

I haven't bought as much lately but what I have bought has been pretty sweet.

The Ice Choir - Afar (blissed out 80's throwback synth meets the music from Pilot Wings)

The Delgados - The Great Eastern (been after this for ages on vinyl)

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There are Mountains (ditto)

Sega Game Music Vol 2 - A flexi disc I got from eBay that has music from Outrun and Super Hang On, the sleeve art has a cat riding a Super Hang On arcade cab.

Atoms for Peace - Tamer Animals (number 37 of 300 white label pressing nabbed from Boomkat in the 4 seconds it was on sale).

Empire Strikes Back OST - Got this for a fiver in decent condition from a record fair.

Yes, all as you describe. I thought I'd set my cartridge up well enough (used a protractor and everything!).

It's a new audio technica 95E I'm pretty sure. Not noticed any issues on anything else, even when playing that particular area of a record.

Well, my copy of the LP is in a sorry state, so I can't really comment. The s's are a bit pronnounced, more over the CD version. I'm guessing then that all the pressings could be like that?

There is no shame on the original CD version though. Most peeps hang onto those original CD issues and dump the remasters now anyway. The original CD issues display "all the limitations of the source tape" in all their glory, whereas the remasters just brickwall, noisegate and compress the living shit out of anything going. That's why original Bowie RCA CD's go for a packet on ebay, they are the same masters as the analogue originals and thats what people wanted!

I've been scouring the bargain bins and charity shops i've come a cross in the last couple of weeks and have picked up these from as little as 50p to £5

The Beach Boys - 20 Golden Greats

The Beach Boys - All Summer Long

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico

The Platters - My Prayer

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier

Genesis - Genesis

Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

Condition varies but the most important thing is that they all work fine and thats all i care about

Eep! After going to a few more hifi 'bake offs' where people bring their kit and just generally chat shit and listen to a bit of stuff, I've come to appreciate more and more the vinyl ritual. Just put a hold on a preamp with builtin MC/MM phono stage so I'll finally have analogue support in my system, and in a couple of months I'll start looking for a cheap turntable just to get started. The systemdek II has been suggested for a cheapish starter deck, so I'll keep my eyes out, try not to rush into it and waste money, and in the meantime have fun digging about for various albums. :)

Any suggestions as to what to avoid and waste money on would be great, I'm trying to avoid just buying up cheap albums on ebay because they might be knackered or whatever. It sure does get expensive quick, looking at cleaning equipment and the like, or just checking what your favourite albums on CD are worth on vinyl, £20 used etc, ouch! I might just avoid picking up the same albums I already own on CD just to diversify things a bit.

ahh...you've finally bitten the bullet, just put it this way its waaaay cheaper than NeoGeo buying :) . One thing i've learned the hard way is that theres no point in getting into vinyl if you're not looking to spend cash on a decent turntable :( At the moment i've got the Pioneer but its not perfect, does the job and i picked it up for cheap, i'm currently saving towards a Pro-ject Genie III both that and their Debut III looks like very good starter turntables. I'm hoping it will last me a few years when i do get it.

Yeah, i'd say keep the cd's, i kind of regret getting rid of most of mine once i started getting into vinyl, but i wanted to restart my music collection from scratch as i felt there was too much filler gathering dust with my CD's, it was refreshing to do so, and i'm slowly getting vinyl versions of those albums i saw as stone wall classics. I'd say keep your CD's and maybe just replace those which have butchered remaster jobs.

Most i've spent on an LP was £30, but it was something i desperately wanted and wouldn't do so again in the near future, unless its something i really want i rarely spend over a tenner, most of my vinyl buys are either new pressings direct from America from aforementioned ebay/amazon sellers or bargain bucket/charity shops finds, i love the buzz of discovering an album i want for cheap.

I've got back into buying records a year or so ago and have a fetish for coloured vinyl. Get a cheeky thrill taking out a disc to discover it's not a boring old black one, as happened today with the new Dinosaur Jr album...mmmm purple.

imagenwo.jpg

Pop down to my local indie store most weekends and flip through their small selection of mostly new stuff, but recently I've been asking them to put upcoming records aside for me which is working well. Now and then I'll hit up an old second hand place that has crates stacked on crates, but so far only came up with Prince's Purple Rain for 10p. Got some old hip hop that I rescued from my parents house (Pharcyde, Funkdoobiest, Onyx, LL Cool J, etc) and nabbed some of their old records (Rolling Stones, ELO, Beatles, etc) and some funk off my sister.

This is my favourite album cover of those I own, it should be hung on the wall.

imagewoom.jpg

Been thinking about picking up a couple of these I-cube storage units, anybody use them?

http://www.i-cubes.co.uk/

I've got back into buying records a year or so ago and have a fetish for coloured vinyl. Get a cheeky thrill taking out a disc to discover it's not a boring old black one, as happened today with the new Dinosaur Jr album...mmmm purple.

imagenwo.jpg

Pop down to my local indie store most weekends and flip through their small selection of mostly new stuff, but recently I've been asking them to put upcoming records aside for me which is working well. Now and then I'll hit up an old second hand place that has crates stacked on crates, but so far only came up with Prince's Purple Rain for 10p. Got some old hip hop that I rescued from my parents house (Pharcyde, Funkdoobiest, Onyx, LL Cool J, etc) and nabbed some of their old records (Rolling Stones, ELO, Beatles, etc) and some funk off my sister.

How is the new Dinosaur Jr album? I'm not too sure about their material since they reformed, i'm a huge dino jr fan but i'm yet to be fully convinced on their new material, i liked 'Farm' but thought it dragged on a bit too long. I need to start getting some more of their early stuff on vinyl i only have 'you're living over me' and 'where you been?' so far, definitely have to get 'bug' and 'dinosaur' one day soon.

I went round a few charity and record shops yesterday, bought these for a total of £28, each costing about £2 to £4 each;

The Platters - The Platters Collection (2 Record Set)

Eric Clapton - Behind the Sun

The Del Fuegos - Stand Up

Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Talking Heads - Little Creatures

Van Halen - Van Halen

Soft Cell - Non-stop Erotic Cabaret

James - Stutter

Talking Heads - Talking Heads 77

The Del Fuegos - The Longest Day

Considering i like to listen to an LP at least a few times before i consider getting another one my LP buying needs should be satisfied for the next few weeks.

looking good Kernow! What vinyl are you planning to buy for it?

Regarding cleaning i've been using an anti static brush and an old vinyl solution that i got off my parents, you don't really need to buy your own cleaning solution as the ingredients aren't complex, many people off the net have instructions up for their own home made formula the ingredients of which can be bought for little at your local supermarket.

I've been looking at these cleaning machines: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CONRAD-Disco-Antistat-Disco-Antistat-Cleaner/dp/B000BFXIVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347793969&sr=8-2

they seem to be getting good feedback, i'll have to get one myself one day