rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

The Indie Label Market is on again next week, the 28th, although this time no Domino, no Ninja Tune and no Warp. All of whom did the best offers previously, so it's mostly just going to be a cramped opportunity to queue to pay RRP.

Sad face.

EDIT: This is bollocks, Ninja Tune are out but the other two the person copying the list had ignored the big text at the top which features Domino and Warp. Lol/yay!

post-1512-0-90957900-1426763418_thumb.jp

Cheers for that, picked up the S/T, Dog Man Star, Coming Up and Sci-Fi Lullabies, as well as John Foxx's super boss Metamatic (featuring the hit track 'Underpants').

Bit of a convoluted affair for me on the Suede stuff as I got the S/T reissue a while back and have an original DMS. I'll probably get a fair bit of what I just paid back by sticking the dupes on Discogs so it should work out quite nicely.

Suede albums? Thats a very expenisve set of frisbees you have bought there.

Dont be a prick, suede are amazing.

• Upvote 1

Dont be a prick, suede are amazing.

their records are great frisbees, they can cut through the sky like like an eagle in flight. I am just wondering why you need so many, unless you have a family of frisbee enthusiasts. I also hear, although this is just a rumour and I wouldn't recommend it, that if you stick one under a turntable it makes such a sound that it's guaranteed to make children want to sleep and adults to question their existence. All just rumour of course, no one has been brave/mad enough to try it.

their records are great frisbees, they can cut through the sky like like an eagle in flight. I am just wondering why you need so many, unless you have a family of frisbee enthusiasts. I also hear, although this is just a rumour and I wouldn't recommend it, that if you stick one under a turntable it makes such a sound that it's guaranteed to make children want to sleep and adults to question their existence. All just rumour of course, no one has been brave/mad enough to try it.

Bit like this post then. Ha!

Amazing that the very person who got me excited about getting back into records is the very person that's now making me regret joining this thread. There are loads of threads on rllmuk that are ruined by wankers. Don't let this one be one of them.

• Upvote 3

Demon music has a sale on at the mo.

I'm going for suedes first five albums for £50. I paid £28 for dog man star!

http://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk

I hope your Demon presses turn out better than my Jesus and Mary Chain.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/263755-vinyl-lovers/page-48#entry10007524

I've had the experience of 2 Demon vinyl presses, they where both pretty dirty

Amazing that the very person who got me excited about getting back into records is the very person that's now making me regret joining this thread. There are loads of threads on rllmuk that are ruined by wankers. Don't let this one be one of them.

tbf Suede are whiny proto-emo fucks who ruined my teenage years thanks to my sister constantly playing them, I'd have to stick on my Nasenbluten records to drown them out.

• Upvote 2

OK, apart from wankers being wankers...Why are they so cheap? Has anyone had any bad experiences apart from englishbob? Sci-Fi Lullabies is £30 on Amazon, or with 3 more albums for £45 here?!?

The copy of the self-tlted one I got before needed a good couple of cleans but it wasn't quite at the level of that JAMC record englishbob got. The pressing quality in itself seemed fine.

All the re-issues of Suede/JAMC have come through them, haven't they? They all seem to be getting good reviews.

Seems very odd.

EDIT: Sod it. Ordered Sci Fi Lullabies et al.

I guess they've probably just got excess stock since they are a bit overpriced even by today's standards. The gist I got from the nutters on the Steve Hoffman forum at the time was that the debut isn't far off the original pressing and that Dog Man Star is more noticeably inferior but still sounds good. Obviously Sci-Fi Lullabies has no previous vinyl release to compare to and Coming Up has a pretty digital sort of a sound anyway so I imagine it'll sound pretty similar to the previous releases.

I don't know about the ones after that since I pretty much pretend they never happened :lol:. I can still remember the disappointment of buying Head Music the day it came out :(

I guess they've probably just got excess stock since they are a bit overpriced even by today's standards. The gist I got from the nutters on the Steve Hoffman forum at the time was that the debut isn't far off the original pressing and that Dog Man Star is more noticeably inferior but still sounds good. Obviously Sci-Fi Lullabies has no previous vinyl release to compare to and Coming Up has a pretty digital sort of a sound anyway so I imagine it'll sound pretty similar to the previous releases.

I don't know about the ones after that since I pretty much pretend they never happened :lol:. I can still remember the disappointment of buying Head Music the day it came out :(

Yeah, those two choices of bundles aren't exactly a choice. "Do you want amazing art on a collection of ace B-sides, or do you want two...Somewhat inferior...albums? If you go with the latter, you'll need to pay an extra fiver plz"

It's got to be said, the cover of Sci Fi Lullabies at vinyl size is a reasonable amount of why I've ordered. So good.

I liked Head Music in a dumb kind of way but there's no excuse for bothering with A New Morning, especially on vinyl which makes an already rubbish cover even worse. Even they knew it was time to walk away after that one.

They were both a generous "ok" if you compare them to other stuff that wandered out after Brit Pop had died, but if you compare them to the earlier ones...Yeah, pretty bad.

God, I listened to some shit back then.

Yeah, there were some amazing records in the late 90s in other genres and from other countries but the bigger/medium-sized UK guitar bands seemed to enter a period of 'So, what are we doing here exactly?' and generally taking a turn for the turgid.

Yeah, there were some amazing records in the late 90s in other genres and from other countries but the bigger/medium-sized UK guitar bands seemed to enter a period of 'So, what are we doing here exactly?' and generally taking a turn for the turgid.

Oh, yeah. I did mean the Brit Pop bands.

I already have dog man star and lullabies, so the 5 album deal is better, even though new morning is shit.

Holy fuck, five leaves left really is incredible. I can't believe I've never heard it before.

The string arrangements are absolutely beautiful.

Although I think I fucked it as I gave it a clean and it sounds also crackly now (was a lot of static when i pulled it out of the sleeve).

Those Nick Drakes from a year or so back sound really great but the inner sleeves they used are fucking terrible for static and bits of paper debris crap. Most picture and paper inners are similar for static but it's always more noticeable in the winter. I also got a bit unlucky with my Bryter Layter and Pink Moon which both had pretty bad non-fill leading to massive farty noises, which was kind of funny in a way since his music is SUCH SENSITIVE. I got replacements later and they were fine so it might've just been a bad batch or something.

Velvet type brushes are fine so long as you use them on a record fully covered with cleaning spray/fluid/whatever. Using them dry is madness from a static POV.

Holy fuck, five leaves left really is incredible. I can't believe I've never heard it before.

The string arrangements are absolutely beautiful.

Although I think I fucked it as I gave it a clean and it sounds also crackly now (was a lot of static when i pulled it out of the sleeve).

not fucked just static. Invest in one of those anti stat devices. They're very effective at cleaning and getting rid of static. But don't use the supplied mixture, Kernow's concoction earlier in the thread is a better option.

the 90's was my childhood and it was saturated with turgid uk bands. Those hanging on the britpop banner being the worst. I find they get a lot of love from those who had their young adulthood at that time. I look back at them and just see a pale imitation of what we had going in the 80's.