rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

"There's the audiophiles who swear by the sound of vinyl, the people who like owning it as a collectors' piece, and then groups like our fans who buy a vinyl of our record simply so they can hang it on their wall."

First one correct. The other two markets... urgh. Vinyl is for listening to goddamit! It's idiots like that that jack up the prices for actual music fans.

"There's the audiophiles who swear by the sound of vinyl, the people who like owning it as a collectors' piece, and then groups like our fans who buy a vinyl of our record simply so they can hang it on their wall."

First one correct. The other two markets... urgh. Vinyl is for listening to goddamit! It's idiots like that that jack up the prices for actual music fans.

All Time Low? Is the percentage of children buying vinyl very high or do people just like nailing turds to their walls?

Anyone use milkcrate app on iPhone? Check it out its well worth a couple quid.

Looks good. I have discogs bookmarked on my phone but it's a total pain in the arse to use when you're out and about.

All Time Low? Is the percentage of children buying vinyl very high or do people just like nailing turds to their walls?

All a bit elitist isn't it? I mean if sales are up, vinyl continues to flow and does not die, regardless of what reason you buy it for, even if they are idiots, its all good right?

Do we know that the reason prices are high is because people prefer to hang them on their wall rather than play them?

My only concern is the QUALITY of the presses.

Must be. I can't see why anyone would be spending money on a turntable set up and buying the all time low and one direction LP's you see around the place. It's not elitist to say that it is music for children because they are the demographic that this music is aimed at and children don't own turntables generally.

Anything that keeps the inflated prices that the big labels stick on vinyl is a bad thing imo. Generally I don't buy music that the big labels produce but once in a while I may be tempted by a double lp ok computer but then I see the price.

Do we know that the reason prices are high is because people prefer to hang them on their wall rather than play them?

I can't really understand why that would be the case. Some companies will try to have a gouge at a market they feel like can take the piss with but all things being equal more sales should only be a good thing, especially in the long term. If they're talking about used stuff then yeah, maybe.

And who cares why people buy stuff, really? I'm not into the 'collector' mentality at all myself and have had one or two lols at the stuff people like that can come out with but each to their own. Hanging guitars and shit on the wall is also baffling to me but it's their money.

Anyone bothering their arse with RSD this year?

The list is pretty poor in my opinion but a new record shop has opened up near me so I want to go to support them at least. Might pick up Run The Jewels and definitely the Oneohtrix Point Never release.

Last year Warp just put out the Oneohtrix Point Never EP again (a few weeks after RSD.) I wouldn't go out of your way to get it on RSD.

As I've said before I will never partake in RSD again as they rush the releases and records are fucked right out of the cellophane - great dirty marks on the vinyl or double B sides and the like.

Anyone bothering their arse with RSD this year?

The list is pretty poor in my opinion but a new record shop has opened up near me so I want to go to support them at least. Might pick up Run The Jewels and definitely the Oneohtrix Point Never release.

I looked at the list, and the releases I was interested in I know I'll be able to get afterwards, and not for a grossly inflated price. So as a result I won't be out for RSD. I might take a trip to my local used Record store (101 Records in Croydon), some gems have been showing up there recently for decent prices. You have to sift through a lot of boxes to get to them and the organisation isn't always brilliant, but sometimes that's the joy. Last trip threw up a couple of things on my want list including a decent copy of 'Never Mind the Bollocks', and 'Atom Heart Mother'. Very little of his stuff goes above £4.50 (anything that does is usually behind the counter and either a recent reissue or a oddity/boxset) and he has zero issue with returns. It's rare that I've ever needed to use it. Good place if you like Rock/Pop/Jazz/Funk. Also a mammoth selection of old 45s.

Nothing released ever interests me - ghost busters soundtrack. Great!

It's always novelty shit

If it was the full Elmer Bernstein score... I'd be interested. It's a cracking score and has only been released fully before on a limited run of CDs. The normal OST has been reissued so many damned times I just don't see the point, and I say this as a massive Ghostbusters fan who's double dipped on DVDs and BluRays and god knows what else.

Last years RSD was a bumper crop for me, and I ended up spending far more than I meant to, but I loved every release I got and didn't have a duff pressing. This year as I went down the list I just felt the apathy building. Shame really.

i'm going with my father in law, as it's become a bit of a ritual, although there's not that much that interests me this year. He's a completist and quite into the deluxe reissues that come out so he's pretty well served by it.

The releases this year look far from inspiring, and i do feel they're getting worse year on year. Not a fan of the lavish packaging etc, but at least it's something a bit exclusive. i really can't see the point in buying something that will be available in a couple of weeks anyway at 2/3rds the price, and i've pretty much gave up on 12s and 7s unless its something i really want due to space and the fact that i hardly ever play them.

In the highly unlikely event i was in charge of RSD, and you could do such things, i'd remove reissues from RSD unless it was some good alteration to the original and also make sure the exclusives were actually exclusive and not trotted out early just to grab the hype - but i can't imagine any of that is ever going to happen, and i just see a gradual downturn in interest year on year.

It's definetly lost its lustre in the US too. I was in boston at the end of last summer and several of the shops there had pretty much anything you could want from RSD marked down drastically. Grabbed the pharcyde musical box (a genuinely nice item) for about 25 quid...

I might grab the heads release if they have it, as it looks like 'gasp' an actual exclusive rather than some time delayed BS. If there's anything anybodys after let me know and i'll take a look.

Bought some Big Barry this week, some 80's cheese, but the middle album (with his wife) is pretty good. Slowly getting all of his albums and nearly done, mostly because my wife enjoys them. There are quite a few BW albums, and the vast majority of them are not available on CD, or digitally.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150409_174227~2.jpg

That OurPrice sticker reminds me of two things I hated about them at the time.. Firsly that no one every removed it once they bought it (I hate that, total disrepect of the music IMO to leave the price sticker on it!) and secondly that those fucking stickers used to bring half the sleeves laminate coating off with it. Why did fucking OurPrice stick them directly onto the cover the tools! That particular sticker has been on that sleeve since 1983, no way its coming off now!

Barry & Glodean is a great album. My wife and I had 'you're the only one' playing at the end of our wedding ceremony. Never seen the LP in the wild, was it expensive?
  • Upvote 1

I'm in two minds about RSD this year. Last year we were away on holiday on the day and I was gutted that I might miss out on all the records I wanted. All I did though was wait until the next week when the online stores can sell their surplus stock and I got all I wanted and more. Ok I missed out on the buzz but at least I didn't have to get up at stupid o'clock to secure some random record that no-one else would have bought anyway.

The only thing that is tempting me is the Creation records box set. That seems pretty limited and expensive so most stores outside of London will probably only get one copy each. No way I will pay an ebay premium though.

Barry & Glodean is a great album. My wife and I had 'you're the only one' playing at the end of our wedding ceremony. Never seen the LP in the wild, was it expensive?

£2 :)

My local record store have put aside Music for 18 Musicians for me.

Legends!

Why are all my records crackly? I have two different brushes and it seems to make no difference to the sound quality. Even my new records have a faint crackle. Also, i picked up a cork project board and its practically sticking to records due to all the static.

:(

Yeah, deffo recommended if you're building a bit of a collection. It looks like a cheap lump of plastic, and it is a cheap lump of plastic but it is very effective at what it does, i've put records that were near unplayable through that and the improvement is like night and day.

The solution that comes with it is supposed to be junk, I ditched it and used the concoction Kernow cooked up earlier in the thread.

Yeah, deffo recommended if you're building a bit of a collection. It looks like a cheap lump of plastic, and it is a cheap lump of plastic but it is very effective at what it does, i've put records that were near unplayable through that and the improvement is like night and day.

The solution that comes with it is supposed to be junk, I ditched it and used the concoction Kernow cooked up earlier in the thread.

How do you find it affects the labels? I have used it a couple of times and am paranoid about damaging them with the fluid. I know it should just evaporate but even so. And as for Kernow's recipe I'm guessing it's isopropyl mixed with distilled water but what ratio?

3 parts of distilled water with one part isopropyl and a couple of drops of photographic wetting agent.

The label can at times become damp from the process but it will dry off. You might get slight stains from it.

Distilled water is a pain in the arse to get.

I buy the de-ironised water from Asda/Tesco in the 2.5 litre container, and the isopropyl from Maplins (its labelled as a magnetic head tape headcleaner), which is about 1 litre or so (its quite expensive, about £15 IIRC, and it comes in the shittiest tin with the poorest pouring mechanism ever, so it will leak everywhere!!!).

Every 2.5 containers I make up I drop x2 droplets (don't go mad) of Finish Rinse Aid, available from supermarkets for dishwashers.

Works OK for me. I did a similar ratio (3 parts water to 1 part isopropyl), but I recently made up a batch from 4 parts water to 1 part, to see if there is any difference. I then use the liquid in my Disco Anti-Stat

Worth pointing out that when you have use the liquid, don't pour it back into the bottle, pour it back into a different one, and then re-use it until you feel its not giving good results.

+1 on the supplied cleaning liquid with the Disco, its junk and clogs up loads of crap on your stylus.

Whilst I'm glad to have it and it was lovely of my local shop to keep it for me, what the fuck am I doing spending €70 on a Steve Reich album.

:lol:

Still, that should help keep the shop going as they're hand to mouth here.

I'm an idiot.

I need to stick to collecting cheap dadrock on discogs! :blah:

Distilled water is a pain in the arse to get.

I buy the de-ironised water from Asda/Tesco in the 2.5 litre container, and the isopropyl from Maplins (its labelled as a magnetic head tape headcleaner), which is about 1 litre or so (its quite expensive, about £15 IIRC, and it comes in the shittiest tin with the poorest pouring mechanism ever, so it will leak everywhere!!!).

Every 2.5 containers I make up I drop x2 droplets (don't go mad) of Finish Rinse Aid, available from supermarkets for dishwashers.

Works OK for me. I did a similar ratio (3 parts water to 1 part isopropyl), but I recently made up a batch from 4 parts water to 1 part, to see if there is any difference. I then use the liquid in my Disco Anti-Stat

Worth pointing out that when you have use the liquid, don't pour it back into the bottle, pour it back into a different one, and then re-use it until you feel its not giving good results.

+1 on the supplied cleaning liquid with the Disco, its junk and clogs up loads of crap on your stylus.

With distilled water I can get some from Amazon but it is pretty expensive...however googling brings up this water

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Glaceau-Smartwater-Distilled-Water/258225011?kpid=258225011&gclid=CM25_4C7h8UCFerjwgodMVcAGQ

Ok it's from Coca-cola but would it work. Seems too cheap to be true.

I use de-ionised water in our iron as the water around here is stupidly hard so I could use that in the meantime.

With distilled water I can get some from Amazon but it is pretty expensive...however googling brings up this water

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Glaceau-Smartwater-Distilled-Water/258225011?kpid=258225011&gclid=CM25_4C7h8UCFerjwgodMVcAGQ

Ok it's from Coca-cola but would it work. Seems too cheap to be true.

I use de-ionised water in our iron as the water around here is stupidly hard so I could use that in the meantime.

That bottled water has added electrolytes which kind of ruins the deionised nature of it!